Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
1264168770.jpg.0.jpg

Coyle looks scared that Gourde might send his big bad buddies Coleman and Goodrow after him. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BMC

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Very fortunately for this team even that's not right. It's Krejci who is the leader in that right now.

And that is taking nothing away from Marchand or Coyle - both of whom have been excellent.
I would agree, Krejci is the clear leader for that. McAvoy also deserves a mention as well as Kase.

Reactions: Number8

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I can't believe how good Coyle has been for the bruins...The best part was I never cared much for Donato. Unreal trade and new contract. In Don we trust!
The switch from wing to center makes him twice the player he was in Minnesota. Got to wonder what’s wrong with the wild - Donato has some pretty good offense for them and he’s still considered a spare part.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Fluto in The Athletic has a nice article about Charlie Coyle:

Charlie Coyle first met Patrice Bergeron in 2004. Their encounter took place at Bridgewater Ice Arena, where Bergeron, on the Providence roster during the NHL lockout, was playing an exhibition game.

Coyle was 12 years old.

“He was already the most talked-about guy,” Coyle recalled. “Everybody knew who he was then.”

Sixteen years later, it is with equal measures of pride, accomplishment and even wonder that Coyle speaks of Bergeron as a teammate. As a junior player with the South Shore Kings, then as a Boston University underclassman, a minor leaguer in the Minnesota system and as a full-time NHLer, Coyle studied clips of Bergeron. No. 37, formerly a detached and two-dimensional model of aspirational excellence, is now an in-the-flesh friend, as is No. 2 center David Krejci, for that matter.

“To see him every day, getting to learn from him in practice firsthand, that’s the best right there,” the Weymouth native said. “Him and Krech, being from Boston, that’s all everyone talks about, my buddies talk about. ‘Hey, I love those two guys.’ I constantly hear about those guys. I’d see highlights back home, how well they do, how skilled and how hard they work. I saw a lot of that growing up.”

Coyle is the Bruins’ No. 3 center. The Bruins expect him to pull the chain behind Bergeron and Krejci in Game 4 as they aim to tie the second-round series against Tampa Bay.

In 2020-21, Coyle will be in the first season of a six-year, $31.5 million contract. A $5.25 million annual payday is generous for a third-line center.

The Bruins are paying Coyle to be more than that.

Coyle was always a can’t-miss player. BU wanted the big right-shot center. San Jose drafted him 28th overall in 2010. A year later, San Jose made a push for do-it-all defenseman Brent Burns. The Wild insisted on Coyle as part of the return.

Everybody in Minnesota liked Coyle, from his teammates to Mike Yeo, John Torchetti and Bruce Boudreau, his coaches from 2012 to 2019. He did everything he was asked to do.

That might have been part of the problem.

Whenever his bosses had a vacancy at right wing, left wing, high in the lineup or in the bottom-six cluster, they always turned to Coyle. He is a natural center. But the good-natured Coyle always raised his hand for whatever assignment required completion.

It affected his play.

“If you want to be really great at something, you’ve got to be 100 percent into it,” Coyle said. “If you’re doing two different things, it’s hard to get really great at both. To be thrown around like that, it can be tough. It can be tough. Sometimes you come to the rink and you don’t even know where you’re going to be. You play out all the scenarios in your head: first-line right wing, third-line center, second-line left wing. I played all of them in Minnesota. I was a rover, filling in here and there. That’s what they wanted from me. That’s what I did. I take pride in that. But would I have liked a solidified role? Of course I would. My game would have been more consistent.”

[...]

Trade chatter accelerated between the Bruins and Wild. General manager Don Sweeney asked coach Bruce Cassidy for his input. Because Minnesota was a Western Conference opponent, Cassidy didn’t have a book on the player other than his impressions of the right shot Coyle as a strong puck-possession forward. But based on talk around the league, Cassidy surmised that playing multiple positions was holding Coyle back from fully expressing his capabilities.

“What I thought in Minnesota was they had him on the wing and center, and maybe that affected his play,” Cassidy said. “I can’t tell that just from watching video. That’s kind of what you hear — that they couldn’t pinpoint a position for him.”

It would not be that way in Boston. There would be occasions when Coyle could fill the perpetual vacancy on Krejci’s right side. But the Bruins targeted Coyle to slot in behind Bergeron and Krejci, and perhaps even be sheltered in that way.

“We needed a glue guy in our third-line center,” Cassidy said. “But we wanted to give him that opportunity to drive that line and put responsibility on his shoulders”

[...]

There will come a time, however, when Coyle will no longer watch Bergeron and Krejci do their thing. Bergeron, 35, is signed through 2022. Krejci, 34, has one year left on his deal. Krejci, in particular, dismisses the pending changing of the guard.

But one reason the Bruins acquired Coyle and signed him to a six-year extension is their projection of his future as a top-two center. It’s been a designation Coyle has occasionally assumed as needed.

Sooner rather than later, it will become his full-time title. Whether he can fulfill it remains to be seen.

“I think about it,” Coyle acknowledged of replacing Bergeron and Krejci. “Everyone thinks about the future, down the road, and how to prepare for things like that. Hopefully they’re here for another good chunk of time. To keep this train rolling would be ideal. But I think about that. I try to prepare the best I can to become a better player, to be a great player at that position. There’s not many. Those are two guys that are great to learn from and try to get to where they are. Not many people think they can do that. But it’s great to strive for that. Those two guys are great guys to look up to. Every day, you see in practice and games how they prepare, how they treat their bodies, how they treat their teammates and the people they are. All around, they’re world-class athletes and people. You couldn’t ask for two better people to learn from. I’ll take it all in from them while I can and use it to help get better.”

Coyle is satisfied with his performance as No. 3 center. But he thinks he can improve. The future may be closer than he thinks.

Reactions: BMC

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I can't believe how good Coyle has been for the bruins...The best part was I never cared much for Donato. Unreal trade and new contract. In Don we trust!

The trade worked out great, though I had high hopes for Donato and wasn't happy to see him go.

The extension, on the other hand, too rich a cap hit for a deal bringing a third liner into his mid 30s. He is very good and I am glad he is on the team, but that doesn't mean I'd celebrate the contract.

Reactions: JOKER 192

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The trade worked out great, though I had high hopes for Donato and wasn't happy to see him go.

The extension, on the other hand, too rich a cap hit for a deal bringing a third liner into his mid 30s. He is very good and I am glad he is on the team, but that doesn't mean I'd celebrate the contract.
He plays a much bigger role than 3rd line center.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Read the excerpts of the article that I posted just above your comment. "But one reason the Bruins acquired Coyle and signed him to a six-year extension is their projection of his future as a top-two center. It’s been a designation Coyle has occasionally assumed as needed."

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Read the excerpts of the article that I posted just above your comment. "But one reason the Bruins acquired Coyle and signed him to a six-year extension is their projection of his future as a top-two center. It’s been a designation Coyle has occasionally assumed as needed."

I read the article when Fluto posted it the other day. The fact they hope he becomes a top six is irrelevant to me. He's 28 and is what he is at this point. A very good 3rd line center.

They also hoped Kuraly would be a 3rd line center. They hoped Bjork would be top 6 etc. They hoped John Moore would be a regular. Etc.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I read the article when Fluto posted it the other day. The fact they hope he becomes a top six is irrelevant to me. He's 28 and is what he is at this point. A very good 3rd line center.

They also hoped Kuraly would be a 3rd line center. They hoped Bjork would be top 6 etc. They hoped John Moore would be a regular. Etc.

You wonder what the other hand is filling up with . . .

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Maybe. I’m not convinced of this.

He's 28yr old, most players peak around 27yr old. He's a 40pt center which isn't 2C production. To be a 2C you need to be closer to 55pt a year. Basically Coyle would need to see roughly a 40% increase in production. Let's also remember that in a 2C role he's going to draw tougher match-ups.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He's 28yr old, most players peak around 27yr old. He's a 40pt center which isn't 2C production. To be a 2C you need to be closer to 55pt a year. Basically Coyle would need to see roughly a 40% increase in production. Let's also remember that in a 2C role he's going to draw tougher match-ups.

I’m still not convinced. I won’t rule it out Until he gets decent time with good players

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I’m still not convinced. I won’t rule it out Until he gets decent time with good players

I mean how much better does he need to get? He's not getting 63 or 88 on his wing. DeBrusk is one of the top 20 goal scoring LW's over the last 3 years at 5v5. Krejci's had a revovling door if wingers and still able to put up good numbers. Hell in a down year this year and in less games he still had more points than Coyle...and at 34yr old he's 7yr older than Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad