Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo97

May 10, 2019
Bergeron and Marchand didn’t project to be first line players

neither did Kucherov or Point

you want first line projected players use the Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Buffalo, Tampa models

you know what they all have in common ?

They sucked - picked 1 overall atleast once and all picked in top 5 multiple times

Bruins fans can’t handle in the 90’s let alone 50 points

McAvoy & Pastrnak were not projected studs or they would have gone higher

you never know
McAvoy was absolutely a projected stud. He had tons of hype around him and I was shocked he fell to 14. That's like saying Barzal wasn't a projected stud because he went 16th. The draft is weird, sometimes great players fall for seemingly no reason. Happens every year. People will be saying the same about Cole Caufield.

Reactions: Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i've never seen a player that's looked so good with a stat line like his.
6 year deal please. can't imagine the AAV being above $4.5M.

That’s what happens when you put Ritchie on one side (who has been better of late), and an ice-cold DeBrusk on the other.

If he had Heinen and Bjork riding shotgun, he would have double the points, easy.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
That’s what happens when you put Ritchie on one side (who has been better of late), and an ice-cold DeBrusk on the other.

If he had Heinen and Bjork riding shotgun, he would have double the points, easy.

maybe this will work out in boston's benefit with regards to his extension.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
McAvoy was absolutely a projected stud. He had tons of hype around him and I was shocked he fell to 14. That's like saying Barzal wasn't a projected stud because he went 16th. The draft is weird, sometimes great players fall for seemingly no reason. Happens every year. People will be saying the same about Cole Caufield.

how many playoffs can you go back and find at least 15 names we would all call studs?

its safe to say that if a player was a stud... he would still be playing in the league 13 years after his draft... so lets say 10 drafts times 15 players... equals 150 players... are you able to list 150 players that you would classify as studs?

even if teams felt confident they could draft the best 15 players 1-through-15, that is a pretty tough standard to meet. when you factor in that at least 33% of the best players in any draft fall below the top 15 I think you become a lot less certain about what you are finding when drafting 13-14-15

most teams are starting to consider drafting character 3rd liners if that guy is a sure thing... and then they are starting to gamble on guys with major flaws that might never pan out. you can hope for a stud, but its only fans wishing with their hearts that believe its more than a 50-50 flip of the coin that a player drafted at 14 would ever have a meaningful career let alone be a stud

lets look at McAvoy and the drafts before his in 2016

2015... jake debrusk... not quite a stud yet but probably headed that way
2014...Julius honka… headed towards bustville?
2013...alexander wennberg… managed to get horribly overpaid
2012...zemgus girgensons… 400 game career as a bottom six
2011...Jamie Oleksiak... very tall player
2010...jaden scwartz… probably the best player in this list so far... is he a stud?
2009...Dmitri Kulikov... I thought I would have hit a stud by now but lets keep looking
2008...Zach boychuk… definitely a bust
2007...kevin Shattenkirk... are we going to use the word stud for him?
2006...michael grabner… yeah this is 10... lets do 2 more
2005...sasha pokulok… did any of us ever hear of this guy before?
2004...devan dubnyk

so... heres 13 years of drafting at spot 14... I think we got the best 2 guys in McAvoy and debrusk with only Shattenkirk and scwartz close

I just continue to find it amazing how much misconception there is of drafts and how fans think its going to be a disaster if they dont get a 'stud' at 14 or whatever...

theres very very very little chance of getting a stud outside the top 5-10 picks. it can happen, but getting a solid second liner is beating the odds and once you drop past pick 20... the chances of getting a guy that is still a regular nhl player after 5 years of development drops below 50% and quickly goes down as you reach the end of the first round

you need some luck to find the nhl quality kids if you arent picking top 10

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
how many playoffs can you go back and find at least 15 names we would all call studs?

its safe to say that if a player was a stud... he would still be playing in the league 13 years after his draft... so lets say 10 drafts times 15 players... equals 150 players... are you able to list 150 players that you would classify as studs?

even if teams felt confident they could draft the best 15 players 1-through-15, that is a pretty tough standard to meet. when you factor in that at least 33% of the best players in any draft fall below the top 15 I think you become a lot less certain about what you are finding when drafting 13-14-15

most teams are starting to consider drafting character 3rd liners if that guy is a sure thing... and then they are starting to gamble on guys with major flaws that might never pan out. you can hope for a stud, but its only fans wishing with their hearts that believe its more than a 50-50 flip of the coin that a player drafted at 14 would ever have a meaningful career let alone be a stud

lets look at McAvoy and the drafts before his in 2016

2015... jake debrusk... not quite a stud yet but probably headed that way
2014...Julius honka… headed towards bustville?
2013...alexander wennberg… managed to get horribly overpaid
2012...zemgus girgensons… 400 game career as a bottom six
2011...Jamie Oleksiak... very tall player
2010...jaden scwartz… probably the best player in this list so far... is he a stud?
2009...Dmitri Kulikov... I thought I would have hit a stud by now but lets keep looking
2008...Zach boychuk… definitely a bust
2007...kevin Shattenkirk... are we going to use the word stud for him?
2006...michael grabner… yeah this is 10... lets do 2 more
2005...sasha pokulok… did any of us ever hear of this guy before?
2004...devan dubnyk

so... heres 13 years of drafting at spot 14... I think we got the best 2 guys in McAvoy and debrusk with only Shattenkirk and scwartz close

I just continue to find it amazing how much misconception there is of drafts and how fans think its going to be a disaster if they dont get a 'stud' at 14 or whatever...

theres very very very little chance of getting a stud outside the top 5-10 picks. it can happen, but getting a solid second liner is beating the odds and once you drop past pick 20... the chances of getting a guy that is still a regular nhl player after 5 years of development drops below 50% and quickly goes down as you reach the end of the first round

you need some luck to find the nhl quality kids if you arent picking top 10

Funny that in a Coyle thread we get a 2 page response from you w/o one reference to Coyle.

How about next time you tell the person you're responding 2 to go to a much more appropriate thread to read your novel. Not asking a lot here.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
With the age of our C's, he's more important to sign than Krug. He's not gonna come cheap either. It's gonna take more than 6m per.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
With the age of our C's, he's more important to sign than Krug. He's not gonna come cheap either. It's gonna take more than 6m per.

I think I've seen about 4 billion posts about a players so-called worth from posters that are really, really wrong.

Marchand
Pastrnak
McAvoy
Carlo

And Charlie Coyle, as great as he's been for the Boston Bruins, is not a #1 or #2 center

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He may get more than your average 3C. Then again he's shown he's not your average 3C.

Pay the man. He's earned it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think I've seen about 4 billion posts about a players so-called worth from posters that are really, really wrong.

Marchand
Pastrnak
McAvoy
Carlo

And Charlie Coyle, as great as he's been for the Boston Bruins, is not a #1 or #2 center
Happens every time. Young player goes into a great stretch and posters come out stating that it will cost 100 biiiiilllllllion dollars!

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad