Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Happens every time. Young player goes into a great stretch and posters come out stating that it will cost 100 biiiiilllllllion dollars!

Player comps are nice, but most times are unrealistic. Just because the Sharks signed Karlsson for 100 biiiiilllllllion dollars doesn't mean every other D is getting 50 biiiiilllllllion dollars

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He really is pretty much what the Wild fans said he'd be, but he rose above those expectations in the playoffs. I'd be wary of allocating more than say $4M to the 3rd line center position. Gotta be really careful with the cap hits for the bottom six these days.

Not easy to do, of course, but I think the team's future is riding on them getting a top 2 center within the next 2 or 3 years. It'll be painful giving up a key assets in a trade or overpaying a ufa, but they just have to.

One of the young guys should pan out as a 3C, with Studnika having the inside track. The spread between their cap hit and the what, $6 million for Coyle(?), is more meaningfully spent in the top 6.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact he'll be 28 at the signing of his next contract. He'll probably get at least 5 years on the open mark. The last year or 2 could be painful.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He really is pretty much what the Wild fans said he'd be, but he rose above those expectations in the playoffs. I'd be wary of allocating more than say $4M to the 3rd line center position. Gotta be really careful with the cap hits for the bottom six these days.

Not easy to do, of course, but I think the team's future is riding on them getting a top 2 center within the next 2 or 3 years. It'll be painful giving up a key assets in a trade or overpaying a ufa, but they just have to.

One of the young guys should pan out as a 3C, with Studnika having the inside track. The spread between their cap hit and the what, $6 million for Coyle(?), is more meaningfully spent in the top 6.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact he'll be 28 at the signing of his next contract. He'll probably get at least 5 years on the open mark. The last year or 2 could be painful.
5 years at 15-20 mil wouldn’t be too bad for him or the organization.

He looks like a force out there - but there isn’t much production, he can’t carry a line in the top six and he doesn’t play much of a role on the pp or pk. His game is made for the playoffs though and that’s just what this organization needs.

Get it done Sweeney!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
B`s have to get healthy and then leave the bloody lines alone and allow chemistry to have a potential to build. Without the continuity of having steady linemates, just makes it tough for any line to find a groove.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bjork -- Krejci -- Heinen

DeBrusk -- Coyle -- Ritchie

Are the lines i prefer to see from our middle 6

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fact is, Boston's No.1 Center is 34 (and he's not going to play forever), their No.2 Center is 33, and none of the centers in the pipeline (Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher) look to be sure-fire hits (that's not be being down on either guy, just a fact).

I don't see how they can afford to lose their only legit scoring center in Coyle in that prime age group of 25 to 30. You need him to bridge the gap between 37/46 and whichever of the 3 prospect arrive full-time and ready to contribute.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Fact is, Boston's No.1 Center is 34 (and he's not going to play forever), their No.2 Center is 33, and none of the centers in the pipeline (Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher) look to be sure-fire hits (that's not be being down on either guy, just a fact).

I don't see how they can afford to lose their only legit scoring center in Coyle in that prime age group of 25 to 30. You need him to bridge the gap between 37/46 and whichever of the 3 prospect arrive full-time and ready to contribute.
As someone who was vocally against the initial trade cuz I’m a dummy, I agree with this 100%.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

The 2 issues with this is first Coyle has yet to show he can be a full time top 6 C. He certainly has shown flashes but that is it. Second is Coyle will be 28 at the end of the season so it would only be 2 seasons between that prime age group. I would like to see him signed but I don't want them to overpay him like they did with Kelly and get cap hell.

Reactions: Spooner st

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
i've never seen a player that's looked so good with a stat line like his.
6 year deal please. can't imagine the AAV being above $4.5M.

Should have signed him when he had 2 points in 10 games :sarcasm:

But seriously, I know people were worried about the Kevin Hayes contract as a comparison, but I don't think that's right. I would think that he's looking for a Mickael Backlund or Bryan Little type contract (i.e. 6 years at 7% of the cap), and then the Bruins probably want something closer to Nick Bonino (4 years at 5.5% of the cap). Maybe meet in the middle with something close to a 5 year, $5 million per deal. Perhaps he'll take a slight hometown discount from that.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I think I've seen about 4 billion posts about a players so-called worth from posters that are really, really wrong.

Marchand
Pastrnak
McAvoy
Carlo

And Charlie Coyle, as great as he's been for the Boston Bruins, is not a #1 or #2 center

Fun game. I present you:

Backes
Loui Eriksson
Johnny Boychuk

I went easy and didn't bother naming the mid-range guys that fit in this category. I went big ticket.

Guys we either made the mistake of overpaying, or guys that left and did get bigger deals elsewhere (and we correctly let them).

Fwiw I was not one of the people who thought Carlo would cost anything. He's a completely one dimensional player. I thought Pasta got about within 1m of what he'd get then. Marchand and Charlie were pleasant surprises.

I don't think there's a hope in hell Coyle gets under 5m per, and something like 5,950,000 would make a lot of sense. This player is far more important than signing Krug given the position depth on the team. And I think on a lot of teams, he's a #2. On this one he may be our #2 in less than 2 years.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Fun game. I present you:

Backes
Loui Eriksson
Johnny Boychuk

I went easy and didn't bother naming the mid-range guys that fit in this category. I went big ticket.

Guys we either made the mistake of overpaying, or guys that left and did get bigger deals elsewhere (and we correctly let them).

Fwiw I was not one of the people who thought Carlo would cost anything. He's a completely one dimensional player. I thought Pasta got about within 1m of what he'd get then. Marchand and Charlie were pleasant surprises.

I don't think there's a hope in hell Coyle gets under 5m per, and something like 5,950,000 would make a lot of sense. This player is far more important than signing Krug given the position depth on the team. And I think on a lot of teams, he's a #2. On this one he may be our #2 in less than 2 years.
You must be living out west in Alberta or Saskatchewan.
Because you're out in the fields.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I assume any deal at team friendly money is gonna require an NMC to avoid Vegas. This shouldn't be an issue but if we want to protect 4 D we might not want to tie one up.

I think hes worth it but there's a certain term/dollar amount where you can't throw one in.

Hes the right age to give a 6-8 year deal if he wants it. Nice insurance for if Krejci or Bergeron fall off.

Would he turn down 8 years 40 mil?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You must be living out west in Alberta or Saskatchewan.
Because you're out in the fields.

You think he's going to be paid less? I don't see any chance with a cap around 82m that a guy very capable of being a #2 C is going to make less. But I guess we'll just argue till we're blue in the face. We'll see in a year...

But William Karlsson money for a 3-zone player that would produce a lot more with more minutes, is not far-fetched.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
You think he's going to be paid less? I don't see any chance with a cap around 82m that a guy very capable of being a #2 C is going to make less. But I guess we'll just argue till we're blue in the face. We'll see in a year...

But William Karlsson money for a 3-zone player that would produce a lot more with more minutes, is not far-fetched.
Karlsson best season 43G double Coyle's best season 21G in goals and points...

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Fun game. I present you:

Backes
Loui Eriksson
Johnny Boychuk

This is where you might be wrong...

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It's incredible to me that he only has 2-3-5 stat line for the year. It seems like every shift he's creating a scoring chance, and carries the puck beautifully in the offensive zone.

I'm down to give the DeBrusk, Coyle, Ritchie line together for a few more games.

Reactions: BMC and Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's incredible to me that he only has 2-3-5 stat line for the year. It seems like every shift he's creating a scoring chance, and carries the puck beautifully in the offensive zone.

I'm down to give the DeBrusk, Coyle, Ritchie line together for a few more games.
This is why I want to lock him up now. Guy's been consistently great all year, the production just hasn't shown from it yet.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Karlsson best season 43G double Coyle's best season 21G in goals and points...

Coyle plays way more of a complete game than Karlsson. I shouldn't be explaining to a Bruins fan why a complete center gets paid. We've been doing it with 50 pt C's for a long time before. Karlsson does exactly one thing well.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Coyle plays way more of a complete game than Karlsson. I shouldn't be explaining to a Bruins fan why a complete center gets paid. We've been doing it with 50 pt C's for a long time before. Karlsson does exactly one thing well.
Wishful thinking at best.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I've said 5.95 and gotten friction. Others have said 5m and gotten post likes. You guys realize the gap there is less than 1m right?

Coyle has all the leverage. Let's see if he earns it's. He's way way more important to the Bruins organization than DeBrusk right now. We're fortunate DeBrusk will be a cheap resign.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I've said 5.95 and gotten friction. Others have said 5m and gotten post likes. You guys realize the gap there is less than 1m right?

Coyle has all the leverage. Let's see if he earns it's. He's way way more important to the Bruins organization than DeBrusk right now. We're fortunate DeBrusk will be a cheap resign.
You're still out in the woods, are you camping or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad