Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've said 5.95 and gotten friction. Others have said 5m and gotten post likes. You guys realize the gap there is less than 1m right?

Coyle has all the leverage. Let's see if he earns it's. He's way way more important to the Bruins organization than DeBrusk right now. We're fortunate DeBrusk will be a cheap resign.

I think a lot will depend on how he does this year. If he takes his game to the next level then ok. I have a hard time giving a $5.95 million deal when I have Marchand at $6.1 and Pasta at $6.6 million. I honestly think that Coyle would take a discount to stay with Boston

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I think a lot will depend on how he does this year. If he takes his game to the next level then ok. I have a hard time giving a $5.95 million deal when I have Marchand at $6.1 and Pasta at $6.6 million. I honestly think that Coyle would take a discount to stay with Boston

Marchands deal is old now. That was pastas second contract and he went easy. His third won't be so forgiving. If anything krejci money shows what Cs can ask and get.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Marchands deal is old now. That was pastas second contract and he went easy. His third won't be so forgiving. If anything krejci money shows what Cs can ask and get.
I love Coyle and would definitely like to see them retain him, but right now he is a 3rd line center on pace for 34 points. This would be his 3rd straight sub-40 point season if his pace continues.

Is that really going to garner a 6 mil contract? 4.5 to me is the spot - 5 mil if he has another solid post season. He's very similar to Rich Peverley IMO. He is a solid 3rd line center, but can play up in the top 6 if needed at center or wing, but ideally stays on line 3.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Sticking with my original

6/36

He’s more complete than Kevan Hayes

can't pay your 3C that much money, regardless of him being part of some succession plan.
i'm ok with him getting 5M, but more than that is an overpay based on his career stats.
then again, if he's your 2RW and you figure out how to lose backes, it's less of an issue.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
can't pay your 3C that much money, regardless of him being part of some succession plan.
i'm ok with him getting 5M, but more than that is an overpay based on his career stats.
then again, if he's your 2RW and you figure out how to lose backes, it's less of an issue.
My guess is Backes is done. He’s not skating he’s had multiple concussions in time with Bruins. I don’t expect he ever plays again - he’s approaching if not already at it a very dangerous area. His final year and a half will be LTIR is my take

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How worried are people about the drop-off around 30 for other power forwards in terms of giving him a long term contract? He doesn't have a similar game to someone like Lucic or something, but there's no question he's more of a power forward type still.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
How worried are people about the drop-off around 30 for other power forwards in terms of giving him a long term contract? He doesn't have a similar game to someone like Lucic or something, but there's no question he's more of a power forward type still.

He's 27 now. At the end of a 4 year deal he'll be 31. That's when you have to be careful about re-signing him, IMO.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

That's the exact reason why I'm not worried. Not all "power forwards" are the same. Coyle definitely doesn't have the wear and tear on his body that someone like Lucic would.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That's the exact reason why I'm not worried. Not all "power forwards" are the same. Coyle definitely doesn't have the wear and tear on his body that someone like Lucic would.

Agreed. He's more of a Joe Thornton power forward type than a Milan Lucic.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Does a 5yr x $5m get you Coyle? Would prefer 4yrs if we could get it.

IIRC he's making $900,000 on his present deal. Not much of a raise for him when you consider how important he has become to the team. I don't know, he might do it just to stay with the home team.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
IIRC he's making $900,000 on his present deal. Not much of a raise for him when you consider how important he has become to the team. I don't know, he might do it just to stay with the home team.

His current contract is $3.2m. That was a 5yr deal. After seeing that, I could see him wanting more, but hopefully no more than $5.5.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
My guess is Backes is done. He’s not skating he’s had multiple concussions in time with Bruins. I don’t expect he ever plays again - he’s approaching if not already at it a very dangerous area. His final year and a half will be LTIR is my take

People also said this summer that he wasn't coming back. Timed his surgery for right before the season started...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Coyle is what the Bruins hoped they were getting when they signed Backes.
Pretty funny - he’s got to be producing roughly the same as Backes did those first couple years.

I’m a big fan of Coyle and want him signed for sure, but don’t think he’s going to command the money that people are predicting. He’s got what two 40+ point seasons in his career? Sign the guy for sure but don’t get silly.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
what people dont understand about ufa contracts... is you dont compare to someone that is being underpaid

theres 31 potential jobs for an ufa… so his agent goes to team 1...
now if team 1 says we are going to underpay you because thats fair...agent goes to team 2

and if team 2 says we are going to under pay you... agent will go to team 3

it really doesnt matter at all if 27 teams agree with you sitting at your computer and x dollars is the fair price for a 40-45 point 2 way center...

if theres even 1 team that says kevin hayes is worth 7 mill... then thats what kevin hayes is going to get

all it takes is 1 team

im no mind reader and i cant predict what all 31 teams might offer coyle but I do know if i was his agent id be using kevin hayes as my measuring stick... not karlsson or any other fair contract you might find. ultimately, coyle might want to take 'less' to stay home on a chance to win... but its also very possible hes going to get a kevin hayes type offer from someone to leave

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
People also said this summer that he wasn't coming back. Timed his surgery for right before the season started...
If it’s his head I can’t believe he comes back if it’s shoulder the question is when

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->