Player Discussion Charles Hudon

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Disagree.

This is now common practice amongst GMs. It's a pure cap saving move. Every day the player is not part of the roster procures cap savings. I didn't look up the formula but I do know we've broached this before.

There is no reason to keep playing yo-yo with the 10 games or 30 days threshold when the player's NHL stint has just begun. If they were nearing that threshold, then it would be an added incentive.
I think it is both cap saving and waiver if Byron back in a month the need to manage the 30 right away and not wait until it is too late...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If they’re not saving anything, why do that for a player nowhere close to the 10 game/ 30 day threshold?

Also, if Hudon is the call up because of Drouin, who was called up to replace Byron?

That’s right, no one. No call up for Byron plus Hudon sent down on non- playing days = cap savings.

They don't need to wait until the end for that counter. They're thinking ahead. Non-playing days still count on the 30 days.

Again, I ask, if it is about saving on the cap, why didn't they do this to Poehling when he was called up?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They don't need to wait until the end for that counter. They're thinking ahead. Non-playing days still count on the 30 days.

Again, I ask, if it is about saving on the cap, why didn't they do this to Poehling when he was called up?

DLC are saying every little savings on the cap count so that tells me it’s cap-related.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DLC are saying that there are no small savings in the NHL today. So that suggests to me that it’s cap related.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think it is both cap saving and waiver if Byron back in a month the need to manage the 30 right away and not wait until it is too late...

I would subscribe to this. We are all right. There is obviously a benefit to both. Sending the player down restarts his 10 game/30 day clock evidently. The fact of doing it repeatedly and starting a fresh timeline every 2 or 3 days seems a little excessive but if that's the degree of precaution they want to lay claim to, it's their prerogative.

I was unable to post from my phone since I'm out of bandwidth for the rest of the month and only now had access to my laptop. I wanted to add that I heard Laval's broadcaster Anthony Marcotte say this morning that the Habs may be reacting to having lost three players via waivers last season and do not want a repetition of that. However, we all know that one of those players could have been salvaged were it not for the blunder of having held on to Plekanec for too long. It's not the process that did them in but their shortsighted decision-making.

I apologize for only answering Adam Michaels in this thread -- it was not a slight against the others but he's the one who first posted that he felt Hudon's demotion was only about the 10 game/ 30 day delay, so I continued that exchange.

Anyway, that's that.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Hudon looked more comfortable yesterday. But he's an offensive player, if he's not creating chances he's not much use. A weakling along the boards and ? defensively I'm not really sure about him.

But right now there's a chance for a player to make a mark here due to injuries.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why bring this guy up? He is not part of the future, give some time to one of the kids, who might just have a good game? He does not look like an NHL player anylonger......that ship has sailed.

if you look up a few posts I answered this as Hudon was the best choice since he was the hottest player and it won't mess up anyone's development as I'd like to see Vejdemo stay in Laval longer to see if he can keep up this scoring pace or not.

Plus he did put up 30 pts with Pleks and Leks mostly so he might be better then some think he is.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
if you look up a few posts I answered this as Hudon was the best choice since he was the hottest player and it won't mess up anyone's development as I'd like to see Vejdemo stay in Laval longer to see if he can keep up this scoring pace or not.

Plus he did put up 30 pts with Pleks and Leks mostly so he might be better then some think he is.
He looks lost out there.......tries hard, but...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
JxWzkOV.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Even my emotions are up and down with him. I wanted him gone for a long time and now I really hope he can produce this time.

This is HIS time now! (I can feel it!) :nod:

He’s not going to get a better opportunity than this.

Reactions: Holystik and Kimota

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With presumably so much depp, I can't believe that Habs' best call-up options was Hoodon.

The proble is we have too many 4th liners to begin with playing in the top 9. So when a rral rop 9 player goes down, we have even more 4th liners in the top 9. Hudon on the 4th line per say isn't a problem. It's all the 4th loners in the top 9.

Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Cousins, Thompson, and Weal are all 4th liners. Before Drouin got injured we had 2 playing in the top 9. Now we have 3.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With presumably so much depp, I can't believe that Habs' best call-up options was Hoodon.

it shows how much Poehling has been struggling as MB hasn't met a top prospect of ours that he hasn't rushed to the NHL and instead they don't want him back up. I mean who would have thought that calling up a 20 year old that was just benched a few games prior would be a bad idea?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The proble is we have too many 4th liners to begin with playing in the top 9. So when a rral rop 9 player goes down, we have even more 4th liners in the top 9. Hudon on the 4th line per say isn't a problem. It's all the 4th loners in the top 9.

Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Cousins, Thompson, and Weal are all 4th liners. Before Drouin got injured we had 2 playing in the top 9. Now we have 3.

If Armia and Byron are 4th liners, who do you consider to be a 3rd liner?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Armia and Byron are 4th liners, who do you consider to be a 3rd liner?

Someone with more than 1 goal in 19 games - Byron was a 3rd liner last year.

There were other players available that I would have liked to have filled out the remaining 2 top 9 spots (Perron, Skinner, Mojo, Dzingle, Nyquist).

Hope for the best though - hopefully Armia can find his beginning of season form.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Someone with more than 1 goal in 19 games - Byron was a 3rd liner last year.

There were other players available that I would have liked to have filled out the remaining 2 top 9 spots (Perron, Skinner, Mojo, Dzingle, Nyquist).

If 19 games are enough to make a player go from a 3rd liner to a 4th liner, then I assume you consider Tatar an elite player since he's got 20 pts in 22 games?

The players you listed are all top 6 players or great 3rd liners.

Armia and Byron are both average 3rd liners.
In Byron's case, he's underperforming, and in Tatar's case, he's overperforming. Tatar is definitely not an elite player, and his production will come down, while Byron's production will go up. At that very least, thats what makes the most sense with this small sample size.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If 19 games are enough to make a player go from a 3rd liner to a 4th liner, then I assume you consider Tatar an elite player since he's got 20 pts in 22 games?

The players you listed are all top 6 players or great 3rd liners.

Armia and Byron are both average 3rd liners.
In Byron's case, he's underperforming, and in Tatar's case, he's overperforming. Tatar is definitely not an elite player, and his production will come down, while Byron's production will go up. At that very least, thats what makes the most sense with this small sample size.

regardless of whether it's a small sample size or the new Byron, I was ready to trade Byron this summer. In his case he definitely still may be top 9. But we have too many other small players in the top 9 (Drouin, Domi, Suzuki, Gallagher, Tatar, and Caufield on the way). Either way, he's not what we need in the top 9, with all due respect to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad