Player Discussion Charles Hudon

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know why they chose to even keep Hudon. They even agreed to a one-way contract. I always thought that the only rationale for signing him and that would be a tenuous rationale at that, was in the hopes of moving him in a trade or as part of a trade. I really don't get how he's still with the club, there are too many smallish forwards with a better NHL track record, as it is.

At some point, you have to wonder what is behind the decision to have held on to the guy for so long. He spent so much time eating hotdogs in past years or just getting sent down.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As an aside I've never thought doing moves like that to save a few bucks made any sense. The team is saving money by screwing over it's employee, that's never a good business practice.

Does Hudon not get paid the same, regardless of the one-day move? He's on a one-way deal, salary is the same for him whether he's with Laval or the Habs. At worst, he lost some NHL per diem money but that's not even significant for him, given what he makes.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Who ever argued Hudon, specifically, was doing that? Lol..again..not sure what you're getting at.
Crosby also has a reputation for being super goodie two-shoes. Flip over to Ovi who was doing rock videos and getting crap faced all the time, pictures of Kuz with lines of blow on his hotel table...
Again...not sure what you're point is here.
I was responding to your comments about making 50k and ‘If your hobbies are to..go for a walk or read a book...guess not so bad.’

And then you went on about needing boozy brunches, shopping and cafes. Whatever floats your boat.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Does Hudon not get paid the same, regardless of the one-day move? He's on a one-way deal, salary is the same for him whether he's with Laval or the Habs. At worst, he lost some NHL per diem money but that's not even significant for him, given what he makes.

I was speaking more generally since you often see it with rookies who are still on their ELCs. But yeah if Hudon is on a one way deal it's not really an issue. But when you see teams that do it with prospects who they hope one day become core players I just shake my head.

Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't know why they chose to even keep Hudon. They even agreed to a one-way contract. I always thought that the only rationale for signing him and that would be a tenuous rationale at that, was in the hopes of moving him in a trade or as part of a trade. I really don't get how he's still with the club, there are too many smallish forwards with a better NHL track record, as it is.

At some point, you have to wonder what is behind the decision to have held on to the guy for so long. He spent so much time eating hotdogs in past years or just getting sent down.

I have no issue with them re-signing him, he's a guy who showed something at the NHL level, so there's a chance he gets back to being a decent NHLer. And if he doesn't he can still provide something in the AHL and help the prospects develop, as playing with productive AHL players is important for offensive prospects that need AHL seasoning.

It's the whole let's not play him because he's not good enough in the NHL, but not be willing to risk him on waivers because he might get taken mentality that is just dumb. It was reminiscent of Tinordi who spent a year scratched and then given away for peanuts. If the guy isn't good enough to crack the roster then deal him for what you can get, and if you can't get anything send them down so they can help the prospects in the AHL and have some useless vet take the NHL spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have no issue with them re-signing him, he's a guy who showed something at the NHL level, so there's a chance he gets back to being a decent NHLer. And if he doesn't he can still provide something in the AHL and help the prospects develop, as playing with productive AHL players is important for offensive prospects that need AHL seasoning.

It's the whole let's not play him because he's not good enough in the NHL, but not be willing to risk him on waivers because he might get taken mentality that is just dumb. It was reminiscent of Tinordi who spent a year scratched and then given away for peanuts. If the guy isn't good enough to crack the roster then deal him for what you can get, and if you can't get anything send them down so they can help the prospects in the AHL and have some useless vet take the NHL spot.

I don't know, just looks redundant to me. He's on what, his 7th year with the org.? If they don't know what they have in him, then they'll never know.

Was he worth a one-way deal? Guys like him are readily available. Look at Daniel Carr.

Carr was placed on waivers and no one claimed him: Predators' Daniel Carr: Placed on waivers

I haven't looked up how Carr's stats stack up with Hudon's but seems to me Carr is the more productive player. And he couldn't even stick with Nashville.

Kind says something about how Hudon is not likely to get claimed.

Reactions: Holystik

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't know, just looks redundant to me. He's on what, his 7th year with the org.? If they don't know what they have in him, then they'll never know.

Was he worth a one-way deal? Guys like him are readily available. Look at Daniel Carr.

Carr was placed on waivers and no one claimed him: Predators' Daniel Carr: Placed on waivers

I haven't looked up how Carr's stats stack up with Hudon's but seems to me Carr is the more productive player. And he couldn't even stick with Nashville.

Kind says something about how Hudon is not likely to get claimed.

You're right that that guys like him are readily available so there's no particular reason it has to be Hudon instead of Carr, or any of the dozen other similar players . But there's no reason for it not to be Hudon either.

At the end of the day you need enough of these types of guys to fill out your AHL roster so your prospects are surrounded by quality AHL players. That's the main reason to have them, to help develop other prospects. If they are young enough that they still have an outside shot of putting it together and becoming an NHL, that's just a bonus.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You're right that that guys like him are readily available so there's no particular reason it has to be Hudon instead of Carr, or any of the dozen other similar players . But there's no reason for it not to be Hudon either.

At the end of the day you need enough of these types of guys to fill out your AHL roster so your prospects are surrounded by quality AHL players. That's the main reason to have them, to help develop other prospects. If they are young enough that they still have an outside shot of putting it together and becoming an NHL, that's just a bonus.

Totally get how you need those guys. Was just openly wondering if Hudon is the best available from those type of guys. I'm thinking Carr would have been a better option. There might even be better than Carr. Ultimately, was it the idea that he's a local player and has name recognition as a bonus for Laval's ticket drive? Maybe that played into it, who knows.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Totally get how you need those guys. Was just openly wondering if Hudon is the best available from those type of guys. I'm thinking Carr would have been a better option. There might even be better than Carr. Ultimately, was it the idea that he's a local player and has name recognition as a bonus for Laval's ticket drive? Maybe that played into it, who knows.

He's probably not the best for that role, but at the same time he's good enough so I'm not sure much time/effort should really be spent trying to find an upgrade either.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was responding to your comments about making 50k and ‘If your hobbies are to..go for a walk or read a book...guess not so bad.’

And then you went on about needing boozy brunches, shopping and cafes. Whatever floats your boat.
Ya...and?...
You can live fine off 30K too...Some people just live off welfare...I don't get your point really. What is it you are disagreeing with me about?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I think it makes sense for where we are at, you might as well see if he can somehow get back to that 30 pts forward since you don't have anything to lose. They should have kept Carr as I believe it came down to less then 100K difference from what his agent was asking and we were willing to give yet they were ok with paying some 10M in salary in Laval this year (haven't added it up but hear it said it was around there during a Laval game this year)

What they should done is offer Terry a lot of money to play in the AHL. The guy was the best player in the AHL, they should have done what they could to keep him. If they can pay Weise 1.75M, Peca 1.3M etc.. why not bite the bullet and just pay that to Terry who would have been a huge addition to Laval last year and would help this years team much more then the others.

But these are the same people that weren't smart to realize that if they were going to waive Pleks, just do it a week sooner and you can keep DLR, a guy you used a high 2nd round pick on instead of giving him away for free. It may not matter much but just to me shows poor vision/planning.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
100$ says Bergy trades for Shawzie again, prolly for 2nd's. Karakter, Kompete, da hole pakage. Hudon doesn't have a chance.

Jul 6, 2016
MB should call Arizona and check out the availability of Christian Fischer. Big RW.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I thnk Hudon has the chance to outplay his draft status ....We'll see if he can stay out of Claude's dog house long enough to make any kind of impact...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thnk Hudon has the chance to outplay his draft status ....We'll see if he can stay out of Claude's dog house long enough to make any kind of impact...

hopefully as they called him up at the right time since he was really heating up but we'll see if he takes the chances and runs with it or it ends up being his last hurrah in the NHL.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
hopefully as they called him up at the right time since he was really heating up but we'll see if he takes the chances and runs with it or it ends up being his last hurrah in the NHL.

Yeah we'll see if he gets any ice time though...With the recent injuries this is probably as good a chance as there is....

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Politics. Downfall for being a Habs fan.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Doubt Hudon will get a better opportunity than this. He needs to capitalize. If he doesn’t, he’ll be sent down on 10 games or 30 days, whichever arrives sooner.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As an aside I've never thought doing moves like that to save a few bucks made any sense. The team is saving money by screwing over it's employee, that's never a good business practice.
They're not screwing him over if he is on a one-way deal.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

You guys are soooooo obsessed with a non-problem, it's quite funny.

Hudon is a fine 14th forward (that can play instead of playing ping-pong with your real actual rookies like Poehling)
His cap-hit is a non-issue.
He knows the system.
Not every player will generate recycling value! Particularly the 13th-14th forward type.
You take a risk on some of these guys, and sometimes it works out and they go up the lineup.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad