Player Discussion Charles Hudon

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They could have called up Belzile, Peca, Barber, McCarron. Granted Belzile has cooled off a bit, Hudon was the hottest scorer even more then Vejdemo although I am glad they didn't turn to Vejdemo just yet as he is playing his best hockey but I'd rather see them keep him there to see if he can keep this up or not instead of giving him the DLR treatment. It used to drive me freaking nuts, every time DLR would start to string together games where he was producing offense they would call him up, then before long he's in the press box and then back in the AHL in a week or so. So I really hope they don't do this to Vejdemo.

Peca was injured earlier and is just starting to look decent, so I wouldn't call him up other then for his speed. Barber just came back from injury and hasn't played well yet so no way should he be called up. McCarron is just starting to put up some points so I would leave him there for now. Poehling clearly isn't ready as he just doesn't not do much of anything in Laval right now.

So Hudon made the most sense to me, Belzile would likely be my next pick, the problem is he would really sting for Laval who's trying to get back into 1st place in a very tough division. Peca would sting less so maybe he would be next.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We already kind of depleted Laval by having Suzuki and KK in the NHL so young. Poelhing isn't doing great there, let him dominate.

I'm pretty close to being ready for KK to join Poehling in Laval. They can learn as much as they can from Bouchard over the next 1 to 2 years.

Let Domi-Danault-Suzuki-Thompson be our center line in MTL. Once one of KK or Poehling is ready to beat out one of those top 3 centers, then we're ready to trade one of our centers for a good young winger or dman.

Enough with the playing centers out of position on the wing where they can't perform well. The key is to keep the right 3.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pure cap saving move. Again.

GrimEveryBobolink-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pure cap saving move. Again.

GrimEveryBobolink-max-1mb.gif

I don't think it has anything to do with the cap. Habs have close to $8M in cap space. Hudon only makes $800K. And it's not to save salary because he's paid the same in the AHL as he is in the NHL, being signed to a one-way contract.

This is waiver-eligibility related. A player who is called up and plays in 10 NHL games or is on the NHL roster for 30 days has to be placed on waivers again. At any time before the 10 games or 30 days, he can be sent down without requiring waivers.

By sending Hudon to Laval after last game before calling him back up the next day and being sent again to Laval after tonight simply pauses the 30-days counter.

It's cumulative, so the counter never resets. But it can be paused. For example, if he was never sent back down, he'd be in the NHL for close to a week. But being sent down for a day last time and now again being sent down, they've only used up about 4-5 days of the 30. They save a day or two here, a day or two there, and they can keep him in the NHL for longer without requiring to place him on waivers again.

And to add to my note on the counter never resetting. It actually does reset. But only if the player passes the 10-games or 30-days limit, is placed on waivers, and they clear again. The next time they get called up, the counter restarts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like there's more speed to his game since his call up. He did break up some plays vs Colombus and he's getting some scoring chances.

I still root for him and Big Mac to figure it out.

They probably wont, but hey.

Would like to see Hudon with offensive linemates.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Domi Suzuki Hudon
Lehkonen Kk Armia
Cousins Thompson Weal

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think it has anything to do with the cap. Habs have close to $8M in cap space. Hudon only makes $800K. And it's not to save salary because he's paid the same in the AHL as he is in the NHL, being signed to a one-way contract.

This is waiver-eligibility related. A player who is called up and plays in 10 NHL games or is on the NHL roster for 30 days has to be placed on waivers again. At any time before the 10 games or 30 days, he can be sent down without requiring waivers.

By sending Hudon to Laval after last game before calling him back up the next day and being sent again to Laval after tonight simply pauses the 30-days counter.

It's cumulative, so the counter never resets. But it can be paused. For example, if he was never sent back down, he'd be in the NHL for close to a week. But being sent down for a day last time and now again being sent down, they've only used up about 4-5 days of the 30. They save a day or two here, a day or two there, and they can keep him in the NHL for longer without requiring to place him on waivers again.

And to add to my note on the counter never resetting. It actually does reset. But only if the player passes the 10-games or 30-days limit, is placed on waivers, and they clear again. The next time they get called up, the counter restarts.

Disagree.

This is now common practice amongst GMs. It's a pure cap saving move. Every day the player is not part of the roster procures cap savings. I didn't look up the formula but I do know we've broached this before.

There is no reason to keep playing yo-yo with the 10 games or 30 days threshold when the player's NHL stint has just begun. If they were nearing that threshold, then it would be an added incentive.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would say it's more waivers since they know Byron is out for around a month so by doing this they would be covered although a moot point since I don't see a team picking him off waivers.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Disagree.

This is now common practice amongst GMs. It's a pure cap saving move. Every day the player is not part of the roster procures cap savings. I didn't look up the formula but I do know we've broached this before.

There is no reason to keep playing yo-yo with the 10 games or 30 days threshold when the player's NHL stint has just begun. If they were nearing that threshold, then it would be an added incentive.
Yes it's common practice as a cap savings move for teams that are close to the cap, which the Habs are not. They do however have a vested interest in delaying waiver eligibility.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Disagree.

They're not saving anything for a player who makes $800K. The savings is so minimal. And when you look at the amount of cap space the Habs have, it makes even less sense.

This is the team that's paying about $2M for two of Folin, Reilly, and Kulak to sit out. I doubt they're interested in saving some cap space for a guy who makes less than $1M

If it was really about savings, they would have done that with Poehling too when he was called up.

The difference is that Poehling doesn't require waivers, so he stayed with the big club the entire time.

Hudon does require waivers, so they're managing that by sending him down and up. Which the player isn't physically being sent down. It's pretty much paper transactions.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why bring this guy up? He is not part of the future, give some time to one of the kids, who might just have a good game? He does not look like an NHL player anylonger......that ship has sailed.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They're not saving anything for a player who makes $800K. The savings is so minimal. And when you look at the amount of cap space the Habs have, it makes even less sense.

This is the team that's paying about $2M for two of Folin, Reilly, and Kulak to sit out. I doubt they're interested in saving some cap space for a guy who makes less than $1M

If it was really about savings, they would have done that with Poehling too when he was called up.

The difference is that Poehling doesn't require waivers, so he stayed with the big club the entire time.

Hudon does require waivers, so they're managing that by sending him down and up. Which the player isn't physically being sent down. It's pretty much paper transactions.

If they’re not saving anything, why do that for a player nowhere close to the 10 game/ 30 day threshold?

Also, if Hudon is the call up because of Drouin, who was called up to replace Byron?

That’s right, no one. No call up for Byron plus Hudon sent down on non- playing days = cap savings.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If they’re not saving anything, why do that for a player nowhere close to the 10 game/ 30 day threshold?

Also, if Hudon is the call up because of Drouin, who was called up to replace Byron?

That’s right, no one. No call up for Byron plus Hudon sent down on non- playing days = cap savings.

Why would they need to wait until the 30 game mark? Should you start saving for retirement at age 60?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why would they need to wait until the 30 game mark? Should you start saving for retirement at age 60?

They don’t. But they just called him up.

Why didn’t they call up a second player?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cant think of another reason for them to use a short active roster.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga

The Habs had 13 forwards on the roster, and now have 12 after two injuries and one call up. If they called up someone else, this player (or another) would sit, meanwhile Laval would be down two guys instead of one.

I suspect that if the Habs were embarking on a west coast road trip they may have called up a second guy. But they are at home for the next week and a half, so they can easily call up another guy if required. It's simply not necessary now. Why further deplete Laval if not necessary?

Really seems to me and most others that have commented on this that these are not cap related decisions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can't they just use one if their benched players?

I believe we have a 22 man roster with 2 extra D (Folin and Reilly). We have no benched extra forwards at the moment. Drouin and Byron are hurt but cap friendly has Drouin on IR and Byron not on IR. So Byron would be the 23 player at the moment. What's the rules on sending someone to IR? Drouin out for 8 weeks but Byron out for 4-6 weeks? Could they place Byron on IR if they wanted to?

I believe this is all about the 30 day waivers rule with Hudon. They rather not lose him cause they feel he is a good Laval piece and right now, might be one of the best options to call up (like it or not).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Cap Friendly shows Drouin on IR but Byron is not. Drouin out for 8 weeks and Byron out for 4-6 weeks. Why is Byron not on IR or does Cap Friendly have it wrong? If it's a cap space issue, why is Byron not on IR?

What's the CBA IR rules? Looks like you can place them on IR if they are no able to compete for 7 days or less?

According to what I see, Hudon being up and down is a Waivers issue. It's like they think he will get claimed? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad