Chara crosscheck to Gallagher’s neck (Update: fined $5k)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So tough for Chara to have to pay the equivalent of splitting tip at a restaurant for a mortal pleb. How will he ever survive? How will he give food to his dog after this extreme financial setback? Maybe Modano can give him some advice how to give food to the dog.

"Chara has been fined a quarter for cross checking another player in the throat." Oh the horror for him! He might have to sell a worn out nail in his dog shed to cover the losses.

That'll teach him. This isn't directed at Chara. This is directed at the joke called "disciplinary consequences." $5000 in fines for an NHL player is an utter joke.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Even for Chara, crosschecking a guy in the throat and then making a gesture that he's embellishing is pretty shitty.

At least now he's a repeat offender for when the next incident happens. Hahaha. j/k. They'll never suspend Chara.

I wish someone had the video of a 6'9" Chara leaving his feet for a clear charge (I think it was two playoffs ago?) and there not even being a penalty called.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
So tough for Chara to have to pay the equivalent of splitting tip at a restaurant for a mortal pleb. How will he ever survive? How will he give food to his dog after this extreme financial setback? Maybe Modano can give him some advice how to give food to the dog.

"Chara has been fined a quarter for cross checking another player in the throat." Oh the horror for him! He might have to sell a worn out nail in his dog shed to cover the losses.

That'll teach him. This isn't directed at Chara. This is directed at the joke called "disciplinary consequences." $5000 in fines for an NHL player is an utter joke.
The fines will always be a joke until the players and league agree to change the amounts in the CBA and actually make them meaningful.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You have a peek at his numbers after faking a concussion against the unfairly punished Kadri? The kid wasn't right until halfway through this season.

Who said anything about unfairly punished? The poster claimed something was "10 x worse" and then followed up with facts that aren't supported by video you can get at your fingertips. Both guys delivered cross checks to the neck/head, both deserve to be punished. Not sure what's so difficult about that?

This is verbatim from Player Safety:

"he raises his stick with both hands and delivers a hard, forceful blow directly to the head of XXXXX. This is cross checking. Cross checking is a common infraction that is often adequately penalized by the on ice officials, however in this case, multiple factors combine to elevate this play to the level where supplemental discipline is necessary. It is important to note that this is not a case in which XXXX's stick rides up XXXXX's body or stick in some way before making contact with XXXX's head. This is also not a case in which XXXX loses control of his stick while attempting to make an otherwise legal play such as establishing body position or making a play on the puck. This is not a hockey play. Instead, this is a player retaliating against an opponent by using his stick as a weapon to make forceful and direct head contact......players are not permitted to flagrantly violate league playing rules because they feel the retribution is justified".

See anything there that doesn't apply?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Kadri was gliding and barely moving when it happened. He literally took his last stride before centre ice and glides all the way to the top of the circle before contact (literally 35 to 40 feet of glide). I don't know about you but I'd rather take a crosscheck to the neck area from 6'0" 192 lbs than 6'9" 250 lbs. Been a few decades since high school physics but I know where I'd lean.

Barely moving lmao... Right

No point continuing a civil/objective conversation with a homer

Simple physics a moving object generates WAY more force than one standing still and its not even close

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Who said anything about unfairly punished? The poster claimed something was "10 x worse" and then followed up with facts that aren't supported by video you can get at your fingertips. Both guys delivered cross checks to the neck/head, both deserve to be punished. Not sure what's so difficult about that?
Did you see Gallagher get injured, go down the tunnel or something?

One crosscheck injured a player. The other made the victim even more rambunctious than he usually is. A 10x multiplier is probably unprovable, but I don't think it's any great leap to say one was clearly worse than the other.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Did you see Gallagher get injured, go down the tunnel or something?

One crosscheck injured a player. The other made the victim even more rambunctious than he usually is. A 10x multiplier is probably unprovable, but I don't think it's any great leap to say one was clearly worse than the other.

I disagree completely. You are confusing outcome with act. Every night in the NHL you'll see guys barely get brushed yet end up concussed while others get obliterated with no consequence.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Simple physics a moving object generates WAY more force than one standing still and its not even close

Maybe not so simple when the forceful blow comes from a 6' 9", 250 lb player against a 5' 9", 184 lb player?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I disagree completely. You are confusing outcome with act. Every night in the NHL you'll see guys barely get brushed yet end up concussed while others get obliterated with no consequence.
So you advocate for those doing the brushing to receive identical sanctions as those obliterating?

Good luck with that professional league.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
It does get brought up in determining suspension lengths or at least the Player Safety references it when they issue their rulings. You can listen to them all online.
Like I said, they factor in a player's history, and if the player has done something that warranted a suspension and then did something else in relatively short time frame (ie. they are a repeat offender) then DOPS will probably take that into consideration, and punish them more severely (compared to a first time offender, or someone who it's been a long time since any past discretion) but the repeat offender status technically only determines the salary forfeited (CBA 18.15(b) lays it out)

And here is the relevant bit that says a fine will not make a player repeat offender when it comes to calculating the forfeited salary of any future suspensions, however, the League will consider the player's history regardless:
CBA 18.7(e) said:
A recipient of a fine will not be treated as a "repeat" offender for purposes of calculating the amount of compensation that will be forfeited upon suspension pursuant to Section 18.15. However, such a disciplinary fine will carry consequences for the balance of that season and any further Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct that is imposed in that season will take into account the offense for which the Player has been fined.

CBA 18.2(c) states that the DOPS will look at the history of the player, and that "Players who repeatedly violate League Playing Rules will be more severely punished for each new violation." (note, that does not mean they need to have been suspended or fined previously).

So yes, this will add on to Chara's record, but this will not label him a "Repeat Offender" and the League already is looking at his history, and seemingly didn't care this time around to use that to impose a larger penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
True.

When Rask got elbowed to the head, instead of going to main board and whining for 30+ pages how dirty the play was, they stayed in their own board complaining for 30+ pages how soft the team is and asking for the heads of president, gm and coach.

It actually took quite sometime untill someone created a main board thread about it.
This.
I hope Chara (and Carlo and Lauzon) start playing even dirti . . . eh, more physical . . . When was the last time Chara put anyone through the glass? Guy's become a big p***ycat.
I'm sick of other teams "taking liberties with" or mugging Bruins (like Pasta and McAvoy) with no response. It's about time that the Bruins let other teams know they'll be repercussions.
But legally of course - no "going for the throat".

And where's the 30 page thread for the headshot on McAvoy the other day?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
If I were Chara I would have protested to the ref the roughing call on Gallagher, just for his reputation alone. In what world is Gallagher capable of reaching anything higher than Chara's shin, let alone roughing him?

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
What was it that Prust said a few years back when he speared Marchand in the groin and hab fans cheered,” it was worth the 5k”, pretty sure Chara feels the same way, Gallagher is a turd, overrated one at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: weinsink

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad