Speculation: Change coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If these idiots are allowed to make a trade, then I will officially buy a Kraken jersey. Should I get a Tanev one?

brandon-tanev-2022-8981.jpg

Reactions: Nucker101 and MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ya, Sat Shah is saying he is hearing Benning has the green light to change what he thinks might be a chemistry issue in the locker room

It almost sounds like Benning thinks theres a cancer in the locker room and is making calls to trade the guy.

If i had to guess.... JT Miller

Shah is very connected btw.

It would be extremely funny if they traded away the one guy producing offensively because they have decided he's a cancer.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To further your point, of defenseman with a cap hit of 7 million or more, OEL has the least amount of points of them all with two exceptions:
  • vlasic who has two points in 8 games
  • shea weber who hasn't played a single game this season and will probably never play again
Of course, vlasic's contract is considered horrendous.

More to the point he had 10 non-PP points last season. The D-man he replaced that seems to get shit on had 15....while being better defensively.

anyways...I don't think it's smart to get the non-flagship media riled up. They have a bigger audience overall I believe and they will absolutely hammer FA and Benning starting from now.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It would be extremely funny if they traded away the one guy producing offensively because they have decided he's a cancer.
It would be squandering the one great asset his successor had to course correct. A JTM trade, properly leveraged at this year's TDL could fetch a tonne.

Essentially a 1C/W on a great contract for 2 runs at the Cup.

So sad if this happens and just underscores how bleak things are...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Disagree..He's played in all situations, big minutes, and played well..On top of that he's making Tyler Myers look like a decent player...Offensively, he could have more points..Overpaid..? ..Probably, but not by much.

Idk which Tyler Myers we're watching here.

OEL has been fine. Good, in fact. It's still not worth a $7M x 6 investment.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
JT Miller has been shat on all year despite the fact that he has had points in almost every game, is the only one who’s had even OK results on the penalty kill and is the only one other than Bo who can win face offs. Like he literally does everything but play goal. Shit, he even leads the team in hits! No really, he does! Look it up if you don’t believe me.

but the body language police think he looks pouty. Like it’s so f***ing stupid. Just terminal stupidity at every turn, in every corner and wedged into every crack.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This isnt good..Censoring media crticism is a move that will backfire on the team.

You have a different definition of "not good" than I do. You are correct it will backfire on the team, well more to the point it will backfire on FA and Benning in a big, big way. That's "good". It can lead to a forced reorg by the Aquilini group in pretty short order.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
at this point i'd be okay with them trading away their best players and getting fleeced in return.

the aquilinis would still be rolling in money and would still be incompetent and cruel, but at least the facade of professionalism would be further exposed.

lol turn it into a buffalo sabres/arizona coyotes/LA clippers/san diego padres type of joke. at least we could make a few $ by betting against them.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
They have a young group of players that are close...Boeser is close with Hughes and Pettersson. I don't think they can move one of them in a reactionary move and have it be a success. They likely can't move Horvat as everyone will be wondering how they gave a cancer the captaincy. They can't really give up Garland because a first round pick went out the door...

So you have Miller, Hoglander and whatever youth and picks they have left.

Note...I'm not adverse to moving MIller. In fact I would because the team needs to recoup some future assets. I don't want Benning making that move however.

Agreed, I love Miller and would like for us to find a way to hold on to him, but given our cap situation we'll likely have to lose him, and given his age, there's a case for getting the most in a trade for him in the prime of his years than signing a well-deserved raise with term that will be unaffordable and take him into likely declining years.

But there's little reason to have confidence that Benning would be the one to trust with such a monumental trade.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Maybe it's not just FAq and Benning in attendance. Could be other Aquilinis are now also involved and Benning has to explain himself to them. Who knows? Will be interesting to see if anything shakes loose in the next few days.

good point. it makes sense that the family other than aquaman would need to call a meeting to hear directly from benning.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Agreed, I love Miller and would like for us to find a way to hold on to him, but given our cap situation we'll likely have to lose him, and given his age, there's a case for getting the most in a trade for him in the prime of his years than signing a well-deserved raise with term that will be unaffordable and take him into likely declining years.

But there's little reason to have confidence that Benning would be the one to trust with such a monumental trade.

I actually see Benning taking some sort of term contract back (Coyle) in exchange or an underperforming "age gap" player like Jake Debrusk, negating any salary cap savings.

Reactions: MarkMM

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Even less confidence when the purpose of the trade is for the team to make the playoffs this season to save Benning's job (and let's be honest, save FAq's arrangement). Just think about that for a second: Trade your leading scorer for a player who will... help you win many, many more games? Am I following that train of logic correctly?

I'm at a loss...:(

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Miller needs to be traded because he's a 28 years old player producing at 8M dollars money and looking to cash in. Add in the fact that he's American and the Canucks suck. You either Overpay and get 50% of that contract in declining years or he walks for nothing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That's petty AF. It will backfire on them, at least in the short term. Ironically, it's the only time frame they seem to be capable of planning for.

shows you how much power they think they wield here.

they are putting on an entertainment show, and the on air guys and reporters are part of the cast. very very stupid thing for the producers to mess with the talent ever, let alone in the middle of a live show.

Reactions: Diversification

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Even less confidence when the purpose of the trade is for the team to make the playoffs this season to save Benning's job (and let's be honest, save FAq's arrangement). Just think about that for a second: Trade your leading scorer for a player who will... help you win many, many more games? Am I following that train of logic correctly?

Logic would never be a word you would associate with DimJim.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

There is a way to do it. Such a trade or trades needs to address the third line center position and the blueline. That would likely help the team overall. Benning's pro scouting suggests it will just make them worse.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Just learned about this guy (Forde) ten minutes ago, but if he's brought in it sounds like it would be a massive W. Could end up being Weisbrod on steroids, but a person who understands how to actually lead organizational change is exactly what the team needs.

An excerpt from the Ringer article shared by @Mr. Canucklehead 's buddy Alex Blair that really stands out:

The influx of money—from billion-dollar TV deals to billion-dollar team sales—has transformed everything. Constructing a roster that wins games is still the primary job. But how teams go about doing that has completely changed. Staffs have ballooned: Today’s teams have analytics departments, coaches who deal strictly with player development, training staffs full of experts in specific fields like nutrition, and scouts devoted to scouring the college ranks while others focus on the pros. There are G League teams to manage, and even business operations to interact with and sometimes oversee, and multiple 24/7 sports networks covering it all, not to mention digital and social media. It’s no coincidence that most of today’s top executives aren’t even called general managers; instead, they carry titles like “president,” with teams of “executive vice presidents” reporting to them.

“The model of the job has changed drastically,” said one team’s president of business operations. “These are really tough, really complicated positions, with all sorts of financial and strategic components to them.” There is also a new crop of owners who made their fortunes in the world of finance—and find comfort in the language of corporatese. Put all of this together and it should come as no surprise that headhunters have managed to successfully embed themselves into the NBA.

Obviously, that's about the NBA specifically, but the exact same principles are true for the NHL at a smaller scale. And it is the exact reason why no matter how good of a hockey man a guy like Benning may be, you probably need someone capable of leading a billion dollar organization at the top. Bring in hockey men to report to them so you can manage the network that is inherently entrenched into a sport that only has so many alumni, most of whom are prominently involved in other organizations. But have the structure and foundation of your organization set by someone who is an expert in doing that.

Genuinely, I have no problem with Jim Benning sticking around if a proper President is installed. We need a Masai Ujiri in the Canucks organization.

I'm actually pretty optimistic if this ends up being true. Thought the absolute best case scenario would be for a Gorton-like figure as an additional AGM. This is better than that IMO.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
JT Miller has been shat on all year despite the fact that he has had points in almost every game, is the only one who’s had even OK results on the penalty kill and is the only one other than Bo who can win face offs. Like he literally does everything but play goal. Shit, he even leads the team in hits! No really, he does! Look it up if you don’t believe me.

but the body language police think he looks pouty. Like it’s so f***ing stupid. Just terminal stupidity at every turn, in every corner and wedged into every crack.

Corey hirsch has been crusading since last season in the media to blame him.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I actually see Benning taking some sort of term contract back (Coyle) in exchange or an underperforming "age gap" player like Jake Debrusk, negating any salary cap savings.

Please no....

That would literally be the worse trade of all time and should cause Gary Bettman to step in if it wasn't Boston

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I thought he wasn't good in the first few games but he, Garland, and Hoglander have been their only acceptable forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad