Speculation: Change coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The chants absolutely helped the cause.

And of course the second time around it isn’t going to fly as easy. You think Aqua is going to think the fans have THAT much power?

and ffs…. No one was paid to start the chants. That’s some tin foil hat stuff.

I think the chants helped, but Gillis made the cardinal sin. You don't tell Frankie how to run his toy, and wanting to rebuild that. It's why Linden was let go in 2018 for wanting for wanting to be more patient, and why this management group has been given such a long leash.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'll admit. I got free tickets for the Dallas game and went.

Caught up with friends I had not seen in awhile.

Spent the whole 2nd period in the concourse catching up since the Nucks were their typical shit self in the 1st but starting scoring in the 2nd and didn't want to "ruin" the mojo.

Went back to our seats for the turd, sorry 3rd.

I would have never have spent my own money to go but did so because they were free.

That's why with so many corporate tickets already purchased, it's going to take years for this team to get sub 10k in attendance.

But there sure as hell should be atleast several thousand below capacity every game for non-corporate seats where people have had enough of wasting their hard earned money on this shit product.

Sure, but was the place actually full? The ESPN numbers are reported numbers, which were inflated even before the days of the pandemic.

My brother is a small season ticket holder and they are throwing shit at him to keep tickets for the last 3-4 years. His last negotiating position was literally "the team sucks, why should I keep these?'. He said this to the rep. They gave him a bunch of incentives to keep them. I tried to get him to give them up this year but they already had his money from the previous season or something. He probably won't buy them next season.

And you see the recent ill-timed twitter drive...there were also rumours before that people are cancelling tickets. Sure, maybe corporate is a base that will never push them below 10k but they're still hurting if the other 7-8k get antsy.

May 31, 2006
He's had what is likely a 7-figure a year salary for 7 years, with his salary guaranteed through the rest of his 8th year.

You do not have to have sympathy for financially secure people who are actively destroying an entertainment product that people would like to care about and be entertained by.

Have you ever worked for a business where someone was running it into the ground and gone, "well of course they are doing an awful job, but it would simply be mean and cruel for them to lose their job"

Sorry, this is loser shit when it comes to the world of professional sports. This isn't a $60k a year middle manager with 3 kids losing his job.
How do we know he's financially secure? For all we know he's lost all his life savings buying lottery tickets.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
regardless of frankie aquilini's incompetence, or ego, or vindictiveness (hello blueberries), the aquilinis are safe. the family wealth came from being real estate slumlords and speculators, thus no one should be appealing to any sense of legitimacy or morality.

the canucks are a de facto winter entertainment monopoly in vancouver. whitecaps have litle overlap. vancouverites perceive the bc lions as bush league.

thus the canucks can put up a lousy product, be run by slimeballs and incompetents, yet make money from a captive market.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
It's hard to imagine that Benning is in jeopardy right now. I don't think he will be the sacrificial lamb at this point. I think he's been working closely with Fredo the entire time in constructing this roster, and when Fredo asks him what is wrong, Benning can sell him on the "we've got a great young core - three consecutive Calder finalists, Demko, Hog, Podz, Rathbone plus potential Norris winner OEL and Garland." The two of them together will not take responsibility or be accountable for the state of the team: I think they truly believe they constructed a winning roster, hence the "shock" of stumbling out of the gate.

That leaves two options: blaming the coach or blaming the players (or both). Green has been deflecting responsibility onto the players, but it can be argued by Benning that "this great roster of young stars has tuned him out, time for a coaching change to kickstart the team." But given Green's contract status and up until this past week traditionally strong support of the hockey media, the most likely scapegoat will be "the locker room": somebody will be called out as a toxic presence that needs to be dealt, with Horvat (because he was never a DimJim guy anyway) or Miller (because he has called out management already and dared to show emotion and frustration) being the most likely scapegoats, with the much fainter possibility that one of the underperforming "young core Calder" pieces in Pettersson or Boeser will take the blame.

Still the most likely scenario is that they wait it out and hope for a couple of wins in the next week and dole out the excuses. The current strategy of coming down hard on critical media suggests that they may believe this is the best option, as they are more concerned with folks pointing out that the emperor has no clothes rather than dealing with the actual fact that he is naked.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think the chants helped, but Gillis made the cardinal sin. You don't tell Frankie how to run his toy, and wanting to rebuild that. It's why Linden was let go in 2018 for wanting for wanting to be more patient, and why this management group has been given such a long leash.
DimJim's meeting with Fredo:

Canucks news: DimJim has just signed another contract extension.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So... 650 is talking about the Canucks making a trade? That would be pants-on-head-rtarded.

Ya, Sat Shah is saying he is hearing Benning has the green light to change what he thinks might be a chemistry issue in the locker room

It almost sounds like Benning thinks theres a cancer in the locker room and is making calls to trade the guy.

If i had to guess.... JT Miller

Shah is very connected btw.

Reactions: Indiana

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

This franchise is incapable of hearing legitimate criticism of the team lol

The emperor has no clothes, and the solution is for everyone to stop talking about how the emperor has no clothes.

So... 650 is talking about the Canucks making a trade? That would be pants-on-head-rtarded.

Change that. The emperor has no clothes, and the problem is the sowing machines, so the emperor is going to buy new sowing machines, but still have no clothes.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ya, Sat Shah is saying he is hearing Benning has the green light to change what he thinks might be a chemistry issue in the locker room

It almost sounds like Benning thinks theres a cancer in the locker room and is making calls to trade the guy.

The cancer in the locker room is DimJim when he enters that room.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Let's trade the only guy left in the top 6 that's physical and seems to give a f***. That should do it!

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
No one will get fired and they’ll do a couple of stupid short sighted moves like Boeser for Dumba or Miller for Manson

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Imagine what comes out of this instead of fans wanting change, the change we get is letting jim trade boeser.

This could get worse for us fans.

Reactions: sexydonut

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
this formal mtg to duscuss the team isweird. why is it needed? should the owner not already be in regular contact with benning? how could he not with what has been happening and travelling on this road trip. when have these guys ever had a meeting like this?

is it being held as theatre to pretend he is normally hands off?

or was aquaman ordered to stop all informal involvement thissummer so now has to call a mtg to talk to bennng.

either way, it seems very artificial and indicative of things being dysfuctional.

Maybe I've seen too much Shark Tank but it seems pretty common to be in "regular contact" and still schedule formal meetings.

I guess Aquilini and Benning didn't have time to go for beers/wine during the road trip?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No one will get fired and they’ll do a couple of stupid short sighted moves like Boeser for Dumba or Miller for Manson

They have a young group of players that are close...Boeser is close with Hughes and Pettersson. I don't think they can move one of them in a reactionary move and have it be a success. They likely can't move Horvat as everyone will be wondering how they gave a cancer the captaincy. They can't really give up Garland because a first round pick went out the door...

So you have Miller, Hoglander and whatever youth and picks they have left.

Note...I'm not adverse to moving MIller. In fact I would because the team needs to recoup some future assets. I don't want Benning making that move however.

Reactions: mossey3535

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Are you satisfied with 3 points in 16 games for the 9th highest paid dman in the league?

To further your point, of defenseman with a cap hit of 7 million or more, OEL has the least amount of points of them all with two exceptions:
  • vlasic who has two points in 8 games
  • shea weber who hasn't played a single game this season and will probably never play again
Of course, vlasic's contract is considered horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad