"Chances are high" Lightning trades Bishop before deadline

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
For the multi posts regarding the Jets going after him, why would a non playoff team trade for a ufa goalie mid season?

- Unlikely he waives if traded

- We can get him for free potentially during the summer

- He won't likely resign here for the shorter term we would offer him (2 years ideally, no way more then 3).

- any offer the Jets offered now would effectively just amount so we can talk to him first about next contract and that might be 4th or 5th rd pick max which would be beat by other teams who need him now.

Jets make zero sense at the TDL, maybe we talk to him during the summer about a short term deal and very unlikely he would agree to that.

I suggested Jets go after him. I believe their roster deserves a chance at making the playoffs and I think Calgary and LA can absolutely be caught. The only thing that separates Jets from being a playoff caliber team is goaltending. You and most Jets fans might have given up on the team this year but I had a chance to catch their last 3 games and Jets players haven't given up. Don't you want to see what your team can do with a competent goalie?

Good god, people treat these draft picks like they were their children. Jets have their core and a boatload of picks/assets. What they don't have is a quality goaltender. Package a 2nd with some prospect and give your team a chance.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
The Blues committed to Allen. No way they go after Bishop unless there is some way to trade Allen.

Even if they hadn't committed to Allen, Bishop probably would like to come home to STL so he would definitely entertain UFA talks with STL. Still, as I said, probably not going to happen b/c Armstrong invested in Allen.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I suggested Jets go after him. I believe their roster deserves a chance at making the playoffs and I think Calgary and LA can absolutely be caught. The only thing that separates Jets from being a playoff caliber team is goaltending. You and most Jets fans might have given up on the team this year but I had a chance to catch their last 3 games and Jets players haven't given up. Don't you want to see what your team can do with a competent goalie?

Good god, people treat these draft picks like they were their children. Jets have their core and a boatload of picks/assets. What they don't have is a quality goaltender. Package a 2nd with some prospect and give your team a chance.

While mathematically still in the chase, it's highly unlikely. Our chances sit at roughly 10% right now going into our week off. Teams after the week off have a very poor winning % for the first game back. Jets rely on D&D b/c we will never be a FA haven. Highly unlikely chevy changes that model for a ufa goalie who is likely going to want huge dollars and term while being on the wrong side of 30.

Now if it was a sign & trade deal with a two year term, i would have a completely different answer. But you really think bishop signs a two year deal and waives to come here? Highly doubt it

We're currently missing 2 of our top 4 D to injury and one to suspension. Plus we're missing multi forwards. Break now will help some of them, but not all. This year is done, crippled by injuries.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I love teams like TB and STL demanding large returns for players who they are about to lose for nothing.

Dangle both guys, play GMs against each other to gin up the price, but if ultimately your best offer is a first round pick and prospect, then you do it. The only reason you would walk away is if you believe you can contend with that player in the lineup. Maybe TB decides that they're about to turn the corner, Vasilevsky isn't ready, and Bishop will turn it on for the playoffs. I can see it happening.

Same with STL. If you think you can maybe sorta contend with Shattenkirk, do it. But the Rangers went through this last year with Yandle, got obliterated in the first round, and lost Yandle for virtually nothing (we traded his rights for a crappy draft pick). If we could do it over again, I would have wanted NYR to take anything else for him - one 1st round pick, whatever.

If your team isn't all that serious about contending, you trade your UFAs who aren't going to sign with you for the best offer. It's as simple as that.

And trading them for each other just plugs one hole to open up another.
Blues are asking for what's considered to be standard rental prices. Obviously a little more given the caliber of player......

As other Blues fans have said. Blues arent trading for Bishop. No, it doesn't make sense in any way. Personally, I wouldn't have much interest in him. For the money he will command, he cant stay healthy enough

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Blues are asking for what's considered to be standard rental prices. Obviously a little more given the caliber of player......

As other Blues fans have said. Blues arent trading for Bishop. No, it doesn't make sense in any way. Personally, I wouldn't have much interest in him. For the money he will command, he cant stay healthy enough

I cant see him commanding more than a 2nd so it easily could be worth it if it secures a playoff spot but I get it they've lost to many guys for nothing the past few years to make that deal. Still seems crazy to be in a playoff spot and talk about ditching Shattenkirk, Bergland and not making a play for Bishop.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I cant see him commanding more than a 2nd so it easily could be worth it if it secures a playoff spot but I get it they've lost to many guys for nothing the past few years to make that deal. Still seems crazy to be in a playoff spot and talk about ditching Shattenkirk, Bergland and not making a play for Bishop.
Kevin Shattenkirk for a 2nd is just as idiotic as Shattenkirk for a 1c. If thats all teams offer, especially in this weak draft then he wont be traded.

Up untill recently, Armstrong has been trying to secure a hockey trade. A sign and trade isnt happening and a team willing to give up a forward worth Shattenkirk is only creating a hole to fill a hole. If he's opened up future(which is indicated) then there will be a bidding war. Shattenkirk can push a team into the playoffs and can make a contender that much stronger.

Ron Hainsey just returned a freaking 2nd.....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Comical how much Ben Bishop is underrated.

Guy is top 3 in wins since 2013 and people act like he's a scrub.

I understand the market for goalies is never equal to their value but some of this "He's not any better than x" is a joke.

It's because goalies are a fickle bunch. And you are using wins to determine his value.

Last 3 years he has SV%'s of .911, .926, and .916. So 2 out of 3 of those would be considered "below good".

Then add in that he is a UFA goalie. Playoff teams mostly don't need a goalie, and non playoff teams are not looking to add rentals. Only a few teams could actually be in the market for him. And with Calgary just getting burner this summer on Elliot, they might not want to throw more assets at a different goalie.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
With all the posters saying CGY, didn't Bishop nix a deal to CGY last summer? If he already declined to go to CGY last year i dont think he'll want to go this year.
He's got 8 teams on his no trade list. CGY seems like a pretty random city to have on his no trades so i'm going to assume there are a bunch of Canadian cities on that list.

Nope he was willing to go to Calgary this summer and sign a new contract there but Calgary picked Elliott because he was cheaper.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Nope he was willing to go to Calgary this summer and sign a new contract there but Calgary picked Elliott because he was cheaper.

There was some speculation Calgary wanted Tkachuk (thus trying to move up to 4). When he fell to Calgarys pick (6), they no longer wanted to deal it for Bishop, and traded for Elliott instead.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
There was some speculation Calgary wanted Tkachuk (thus trying to move up to 4). When he fell to Calgarys pick (6), they no longer wanted to deal it for Bishop, and traded for Elliott instead.

That makes sense. From what Bishop has said it's sounds like he was ready for the trade and it fell through. One of those "trades that almost happened" to look back on in a few years.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Kevin Shattenkirk for a 2nd is just as idiotic as Shattenkirk for a 1c. If thats all teams offer, especially in this weak draft then he wont be traded.

Up untill recently, Armstrong has been trying to secure a hockey trade. A sign and trade isnt happening and a team willing to give up a forward worth Shattenkirk is only creating a hole to fill a hole. If he's opened up future(which is indicated) then there will be a bidding war. Shattenkirk can push a team into the playoffs and can make a contender that much stronger.

Ron Hainsey just returned a freaking 2nd.....

I was talking about Bishop. I cant see the return for him being much more than a 2nd maybe add another 4th or 5th with a conditional upgrade if he signs but not much. There just isnt much of a goalie market. Shattenkirk should get a 1st and a prospect, is that worth it to the Blues?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was talking about Bishop. I cant see the return for him being much more than a 2nd maybe add another 4th or 5th with a conditional upgrade if he signs but not much. There just isnt much of a goalie market. Shattenkirk should get a 1st and a prospect, is that worth it to the Blues?

Well im a tard lol... sorry about that.

As for the Blues, yes

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Jets need to win 13 or 14 of their last 19 games to have any shot at making the playoffs.

I'd love to see Bishop in a Jets uniform at some point, but there's no logical reason for us to give up meaningful assets to rent him.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I cant believe they didnt put Bishop against the Calgary. Lets put him on your face and help the management. Poor decision. :shakehead

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
why would you not play your top goalie who has won 5 games in a row? only reason is someone is close to a trade.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Is it possible that theres already a deal in place and that team didn't want him playing?

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Interesting that only Vasilevski took part in the morning skate which would suggest that Bishop was the planned starter this morning. Maybe he tweaked something or maybe it's just Cooper's lineup logic but it definitely seems like something could be up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad