"Chances are high" Lightning trades Bishop before deadline

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I have this odd feeling Treliving might use our 1st for an 'upgrade'. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Flames traded for Bishop. I do think it's unlikely though.

He would have to be an idiot to spend a 13-16th overall pick on an injury-prone pending UFA 30 year old (31 next season) posting a .911. Bishop is a classic case of system goalie, his numbers are only okay without the Tampa system to prop them up.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
If I was Dallas I would do 50% retained on either goalie and a 2 round plus nemeth/oleksiak, or one of the ahl D prospects not named Honka

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Tampa will keep him and try to make a playoff run. We have been playing well and can climb back into it with a few more wins. Only way we make the playoffs is with Bishop here. Yzerman may make some moves (probably for long term players, he doesnt like rentals), but he wont move Bish out. Walks as ufa or we trade Vasy and keep Bishop long term.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Comical how much Ben Bishop is underrated.

Guy is top 3 in wins since 2013 and people act like he's a scrub.

I understand the market for goalies is never equal to their value but some of this "He's not any better than x" is a joke.

Nothing to do with underrated. He's not playing like a $7x7 goalie he reportedly was asking, he's 30 years old and Stevie Y wants a large return for him.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He would have to be an idiot to spend a 13-16th overall pick on an injury-prone pending UFA 30 year old (31 next season) posting a .911. Bishop is a classic case of system goalie, his numbers are only okay without the Tampa system to prop them up.

So basically you don't know anything about Bishop.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Nothing to do with underrated. He's not playing like a $7x7 goalie he reportedly was asking, he's 30 years old and Stevie Y wants a large return for him.

None of that has any impact on the fact that he's been a top 10 (arguably top 5) goalie of the last 3-4 years.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

Do you actually watch him play or are you just basing this off some goofy, mental gymnastics?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Thanks. I am/was not sure of their cap situation so I had to ask. What would a massive offer be? 1st++?

Try a young 3D who can play the right side. Johnson is a big part of our team and losing him creates an enormous hole at center so the only reason we should even consider doing so is if we're filling the hole we have at 3D. We'd basically want a guy who can slot in on the second pairing and eventually replace Stralman on the top pairing as Strals declines. It's a big ask but Johnson is our de facto 1C and a PPG playoff scorer so we have no reason to move him unless the return helps us as much as his loss hurts us.

And this deal would either have to be after the expansion draft or we'd have to include Koekkoek in exchange for an expansion-exempt A prospect who is NHL-ready. Koekkoek is young and cost-controlled with second-pairing potential and is one of our only NHL-ready defensemen who can move the puck so we aren't prepared to lose him without serious value coming back.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
If I was Dallas I would do 50% retained on either goalie and a 2 round plus nemeth/oleksiak, or one of the ahl D prospects not named Honka

You'd have to take Filppula or Garrison back - even at 50% retention that is far too much for us to pay for Vasy's backup next season.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
None of that has any impact on the fact that he's been a top 10 (arguably top 5) goalie of the last 3-4 years.

I don't think his (under)rating has anything to do with this year. He is a UFA which makes him a rental and Cup contenders are absolutely stacked in goal. There is just no team in the league that's pulling a 'Dallas' and succeeding despite poor goaltending.

That leaves teams currently out of the playoffs. Consider the value that Talbot got from Edmonton. I think he was a UFA?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I don't think his (under)rating has anything to do with this year. He is a UFA which makes him a rental and Cup contenders are absolutely stacked in goal. There is just no team in the league that's pulling a 'Dallas' and succeeding despite poor goaltending.

That leaves teams currently out of the playoffs. Consider the value that Talbot got from Edmonton. I think he was a UFA?

I guess I should clarify I didn't mention his underratedness in relation to the offers for Bishop. More the comments of "He's barely better than x". I know Bishop won't return some mega package or anything.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

You make him sound like Bryz, which I don't think is fair.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I guess I should clarify I didn't mention his underratedness in relation to the offers for Bishop. More the comments of "He's barely better than x". I know Bishop won't return some mega package or anything.

Oh yeah, well you can't take every dumb statement seriously. Bishop's career speaks for itself.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Blues, Dallas, Islanders for not a lot. I think this will be a play for them to try and get in early on the negotiation. Maybe a 2nd in 2017/2018 with a condition to turn into a 1st if agrees to signing with the respective team.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I love teams like TB and STL demanding large returns for players who they are about to lose for nothing.

Dangle both guys, play GMs against each other to gin up the price, but if ultimately your best offer is a first round pick and prospect, then you do it. The only reason you would walk away is if you believe you can contend with that player in the lineup. Maybe TB decides that they're about to turn the corner, Vasilevsky isn't ready, and Bishop will turn it on for the playoffs. I can see it happening.

Same with STL. If you think you can maybe sorta contend with Shattenkirk, do it. But the Rangers went through this last year with Yandle, got obliterated in the first round, and lost Yandle for virtually nothing (we traded his rights for a crappy draft pick). If we could do it over again, I would have wanted NYR to take anything else for him - one 1st round pick, whatever.

If your team isn't all that serious about contending, you trade your UFAs who aren't going to sign with you for the best offer. It's as simple as that.

And trading them for each other just plugs one hole to open up another.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
lmfao if the Lightning actually do this it's going to be absolutely horrible asset management. We've been hearing Bishop for Shattenkirk for months and it makes absolutely no sense. If Bishop signs for about $1.5 million less than open market price like Hedman and Stamkos that puts him at about $6.5 million tops. But the solution is to trade for Shattenkirk whose going to cost even more even if he comes back? Brilliant logic. How in the hell is that supposed to solve our cap problems?

This only works if we trade and Shattenkirk resigns at like $5.85 million -which is NOT gonna happen

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'm not sure I've ever seen a statement so EXACTLY wrong.

The opposite is true. We found out just how good the "system" was when Bishop faltered earlier this year. Bishop IS the system.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010

No GM is going to dispute that. The one thing GM's will dispute is whether or not he can replicate those stats on their team for the next 3-4 years.
When he was posting those stats, he was between ~26-30, arguably the prime for players.
Of the current top10 goalies by wins in the NHL right now, only 2 are over 30. Hank and Budaj. Hank is a border line generational goalie and Budaj is a flash in the pan.
Bishop will be 31 at the start of next season and by all accounts the odds are not impossible but stacked against him that he'll replicate his previous years numbers.
I'm not entirely sure what his value is right now, but if he is traded, I think most fans will be surprised at how little he brought back.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I don't even know where to begin with this. On so many nights he's the ONLY reason we win

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For the multi posts regarding the Jets going after him, why would a non playoff team trade for a ufa goalie mid season?

- Unlikely he waives if traded

- We can get him for free potentially during the summer

- He won't likely resign here for the shorter term we would offer him (2 years ideally, no way more then 3).

- any offer the Jets offered now would effectively just amount so we can talk to him first about next contract and that might be 4th or 5th rd pick max which would be beat by other teams who need him now.

Jets make zero sense at the TDL, maybe we talk to him during the summer about a short term deal and very unlikely he would agree to that.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
With all the posters saying CGY, didn't Bishop nix a deal to CGY last summer? If he already declined to go to CGY last year i dont think he'll want to go this year.
He's got 8 teams on his no trade list. CGY seems like a pretty random city to have on his no trades so i'm going to assume there are a bunch of Canadian cities on that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad