"Chances are high" Lightning trades Bishop before deadline

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This is a tough one for TB. There is really no contender out there that needs Bishop. MAYBE, St. Louis but considering their goalie history I don't think they are going down this dark, scary road again.

If Bishop's value drops down to a 2nd round pick, than there are options. Edmonton, St. Louis, Winnipeg.

Really, Winnipeg should come up with some kind of reasonable package. How many seasons can it be 'all about next season' in Winnipeg? That's if Bishop wants to go there.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The thread title is misleading at best. Bishop is an asset and assets may be moving but that does not mean Bishop is moving. If the Lightning are still trying to make the playoffs(which by all accounts they are) Bishop is not moving.

What if a backup for Vas is coming to them in the trade?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Comical how much Ben Bishop is underrated.

Guy is top 3 in wins since 2013 and people act like he's a scrub.

I understand the market for goalies is never equal to their value but some of this "He's not any better than x" is a joke.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I highly doubt they make the playoffs anyways so you may as well do it now. A fit can definitely be there in Calgary considering they'll be going at it with LA for a playoff spot and Quick is getting close.

Winnipeg could also be an option but I think they'd be in tough trying to get him to sign long-term.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
This is a tough one for TB. There is really no contender out there that needs Bishop. MAYBE, St. Louis but considering their goalie history I don't think they are going down this dark, scary road again.

If Bishop's value drops down to a 2nd round pick, than there are options. Edmonton, St. Louis, Winnipeg.

Really, Winnipeg should come up with some kind of reasonable package. How many seasons can it be 'all about next season' in Winnipeg? That's if Bishop wants to go there.

I think Winnipeg's bigger concern would be would he resign there, not whether they could make a competitive package for him.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
What if a backup for Vas is coming to them in the trade?

Unless it's a backup that can help win 17 of the next 20 games, Bishop would be better. Like I said, if they're giving up then he'll move. But Bishop is the best hope for getting to the playoffs. On the Bolts board we're pretty much in universal agreement that Vasy can't carry the team there. So it all depends on if Stevie Y is throwing in the towel. The 2 games before the TDL should give some clarity.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
The thread title is misleading at best. Bishop is an asset and assets may be moving but that does not mean Bishop is moving. If the Lightning are still trying to make the playoffs(which by all accounts they are) Bishop is not moving. If he does it's because they're giving up. I wouldn't say "chances are high" either way.

I mean. No?

It says there's a good chance that TB moves some assets and that Ben Bishop is in that group of assets that they could move.

Even if TB makes the playoffs, they aren't making noise. They'll get PIT or WSH and either will result in a quick exit. You cannot let Bishop go for nothing. You can't. Even if all you get is a pick, you get the pick.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think Winnipeg's bigger concern would be would he resign there, not whether they could make a competitive package for him.

He wouldn't. Winnipeg's biggest concern should be making the playoffs some time this decade and that's a tough mountain to climb when your goalies let in 3+ a game. They have the resources, why not give the team a legitimate chance?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe if Tampa loses the next two games, things will get interesting. I'd say if there are 6 points or more out of a spot by TDL. Yzerman might make a move, if it is maybe for a 1st round pick? Not sure.

I still believe no moves will be made at this point. Tampa is in that grey area between buyers and sellers. Yzerman has also recently stated he has no interest in a rental but has interest in potential picks for the future.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I could see him being traded to a 'bad' team so they can give him a month+ of audition and try to negotiate an extension if they find he works well in their system. Like Martin Biron to the Flyers in 2007, or Craig Anderson to the Senators in 2011.

Interesting thought... maybe... would think Tampa wouldn't get much for him in that instance, however

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Interesting thought... maybe... would think Tampa wouldn't get much for him in that instance, however

What the other team does with Bishop is of absolutely no interest or concern to Tampa. They're not going to take less than what they feel is fair.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
He wouldn't. Winnipeg's biggest concern should be making the playoffs some time this decade and that's a tough mountain to climb when your goalies let in 3+ a game. They have the resources, why not give the team a legitimate chance?

Okay then... Guess I'm hopping onto this troll ride.

Well there is the fact that they made the playoffs this decade but I guess we're not doing any fact checking here.

So you believe that with Bishop in net Winnipeg will win 70% of their remaining games, which won't even guarantee them a playoff spot. As opposed to that 44% win rate they have now, Bishop's impact will be so great that they'll increase their win rate by almost 60 percent? Yeah you've definitely thought this one through, turns out that the Jets only needed Bishop to become the best team in the league:sarcasm:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
What the other team does with Bishop is of absolutely no interest or concern to Tampa. They're not going to take less than what they feel is fair.

That's true. If the choice is to trade Bishop for 2nd + B-level prospect or lose him for nothing in the offseason, which would you choose?

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Oh, for sure. You guys hold the "hammer", so to speak... but in both his examples, those "auditions" were picked up cheaply (Anderson cost Elliott, Biron cost a 2nd iirc)... point being a "bad" team probably won't pay a premium for a guy they could try to get for free in a few months anyway.

Mind you, I'm admittedly spitballing... A team may be willing to pay a premium for the chance to see how he fits in their system, how he performs and to have exclusive negotiating rights with him (especially if they feel there's a chance of a bidding war for his services in the summer)

Changing the subject a bit, so I gather you guys aren't totally sold on Vasy as a full-time starter just yet? Couple questions:

A) Do you still view him as having that upside?

B) Whatever your answer, how do you plan to "replace" Bishop moving forward? (i.e. 1a/1b scenario, bring in backup/mentor to Vasy, etc etc)

Many thanks, just curious :)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Okay then... Guess I'm hopping onto this troll ride.

Well there is the fact that they made the playoffs this decade but I guess we're not doing any fact checking here.

So you believe that with Bishop in net Winnipeg will win 70% of their remaining games, which won't even guarantee them a playoff spot. As opposed to that 44% win rate they have now, Bishop's impact will be so great that they'll increase their win rate by almost 60 percent? Yeah you've definitely thought this one through, turns out that the Jets only needed Bishop to become the best team in the league:sarcasm:

What the hell? Jets have a great team, they are in pretty much every game. They have one of the league's worst goaltending tandems (or trios) and it costs them a ton of games. They absolutely can compete for a playoff spot with an upgrade in goal. I said nothing about Jets past. They are a young team with terrific offense and crap goaltending. Who am I trolling?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
That's true. If the choice is to trade Bishop for 2nd + B-level prospect or lose him for nothing in the offseason, which would you choose?

I'm probably in the minority, but I personally think they need to take what they get. If that's the best offer they get, they need to take it.

There's only (I believe) a 15% chance TB makes the playoffs. That alone gives me reason to move Bishop. Chances are already incredibly low. You ride Vasilevski, who's going to be your starter next season anyway and hope he can get his head back on straight before he has to carry your season next year. Given his performances in the playoffs the last few years, I'm not worried about that part.

I would like to see a vet BU brought in via deadline. Maybe even coming back from the team Bishop is dealt to.

Yzerman has shown before he is absolutely unconcerned with what pretty much anyone thinks or says (Drouin situation) so if he feels like Bishop is worth a top tier prospect and a 1st, then he isn't going to move him unless he gets back a top tier prospect and a 1st.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Oh, for sure. You guys hold the "hammer", so to speak... but in both his examples, those "auditions" were picked up cheaply (Anderson cost Elliott, Biron cost a 2nd iirc)... point being a "bad" team probably won't pay a premium for a guy they could try to get for free in a few months anyway.

Mind you, I'm admittedly spitballing... A team may be willing to pay a premium for the chance to see how he fits in their system, how he performs and to have exclusive negotiating rights with him (especially if they feel there's a chance of a bidding war for his services in the summer)

Changing the subject a bit, so I gather you guys aren't totally sold on Vasy as a full-time starter just yet? Couple questions:

B) Whatever your answer, how do you plan to "replace" Bishop moving forward? (i.e. 1a/1b scenario, bring in backup/mentor to Vasy, etc etc)

I personally am sold on Vasilevski. He's been spectacular in the playoffs the last few years when Bishop has been out. TB fans love to talk about how players "step their game up" in the playoffs when it comes to guys like Killorn and Tyler Johnson but they seem to forget how Vasilevski more or less single handedly carried that PIT series to 7 games last year.

I think Vasilevski can absolutely be a top 5 goalie in the league. He needs a supporting cast though. This was a bad year for him to get a bit of a taste as a starter when the entire team was tending down.

As far as replacing Bishop the ideal situation would be a vet backup either coming back as a throw in from his deal or acquired elsewhere at the deadline.

They could bring Gudlevskis up from Syracuse since he at least has NHL experience, but I'd rather Vasy have a veteran around at the very least for mentoring purposes.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

The return would have to be good, because the Lightning are still in it, or else I would keep him. If it's for scraps, dealing him just isn't worth the residual effects.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bishop is currently on a 5 (?) game win streak, so it's good timing to move him. Really hope he does well in his game tonight to really drive home the point.

Kind of hope the opposite really :laugh:

There's really 3 teams in the NHL that would be interested in Bishop.

Philly, Dallas and Calgary.
2 of those teams are outside, Dallas isn't even looking in anymore. Calgary's the only one with a playoff spot right now.

If you're Calgary, not sure you want to give up assets that it'll cost to both acquire Bishop; but then also sign him. He hasn't had a banner year.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Kind of hope the opposite really :laugh:

There's really 3 teams in the NHL that would be interested in Bishop.

Philly, Dallas and Calgary.
2 of those teams are outside, Dallas isn't even looking in anymore. Calgary's the only one with a playoff spot right now.

If you're Calgary, not sure you want to give up assets that it'll cost to both acquire Bishop; but then also sign him. He hasn't had a banner year.

Of course. Everything is a crap shoot. I would personally look at the fact that Bishop has been one of the best goaltenders in the league over the last 3-4 years and then see that the entire team is trending down this season. This season should be written off for what it is, a bad season.

I understand that a bad season is going to hurt his value. It'll also hurt what he'll be able to get on his next deal. I don't imagine the team dealing for Bishop is looking to get him as a rental. Teams will probably be given the OK to talk contract. I wouldn't count on just playoff teams looking into Bishop.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I am certain that Vasy is going to be a great starter. The question is how long it will take. This was supposed to be the season he grabbed the reins but when Bishop was injured and he had his shot he totally fell apart. He's done well again since Bishop has returned but he's also back to getting easier opponents in more of a 1B role. So I think the best replacement would be a 1A/1B type that will transition to being Vasy's backup in the next season or two. I'm just not convinced that he can play 60 games next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad