Champions League Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The problem is that VVD took the long road to the top because of his time as a youth player. He wasn't ever supposed to get this far and because of that, he's nearly 28 and only now playing at this level. It is incredible that a bigger club didn't buy him off Celtic in the first place.
Not a problem to me

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
It's not as Virgil is a late bloomer, he just made the step to an elite team way too late. Van Dijk was impressive during his Groningen days. I remember Ajax and PSV being heavily interested. While both had doubts about his character, as he was seen as lackluster and nonchalant at the time, Ajax were targeting him and Mike van den Hoorn and chose the latter. PSV chose Bruma, whereas Feyenoord had two nice talents at CB already (de Vrij and Martins Indi). He already was a force back then, but his footballing skills has definitely picked up. I remember big teams being interested in Virgil when he was still playing for Celtic, they all felt the step to the elite was a little too big for him and he proved them wrong. His time with Southhampton made them a believer, but he could've made the step to a Liverpool years sooner.

Reactions: YNWA14

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
In terms of VVD as we've all agreed before, one of the things that makes him so impressive is his composure under pressure, his ability to organise the defence, et hoc genus omne, and a lot of this comes from experience, so I think Pool fans can be glad that he took the long road, as they've inherited a much more complete player as a result, who can finally collect interest on all the work he's put in

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
While both had doubts about his character, as he was seen as lackluster and nonchalant at the time, Ajax were targeting him and Mike van den Hoorn and chose the latter.

It was why Arsenal didn't sign him back when he was at Celtic.

Reactions: Ajacied

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...c5d0999c21e_story.html?utm_term=.f893472db9b8

UEFA has charged Cristiano Ronaldo for a provocative gesture mocking Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone after Juventus eliminated the Spanish club from the Champions League.

UEFA says its disciplinary panel will judge the charge of “improper conduct” on Thursday.

It resulted in a fine for Simeone, so it will only be a small fine for Ronaldo.

Don't think it was a big deal personally, though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There's a meeting today to discuss a semi closed league with relegations/promotions for the CL.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's really only a matter of time before it happens. Can't have the uppity clubs like Ajax knocking off Madrid.
Which doesn't really make sense since people absolutely love a good underdog story, and it garners interest.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't generally romanticize the past. And boy did we have issues in the 90s as well, but football will never be so good again.

I'm becoming a grumpy old man. Spurs will benefit from these kind of changes (I'm assuming they are big enough - even if they might not be for a 16 team "superleague" - would be borderline), but I still hate these kind of moves.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'm becoming a grumpy old man. Spurs will benefit from these kind of changes (I'm assuming they are big enough - even if they might not be for a 16 team "superleague" - would be borderline), but I still hate these kind of moves.

I don't think Spurs were a part of the 16 clubs.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As long as they can be effectively relegated I don't mind.
The current system is rotted
Now if the rumors of some teams not being relegation-able, then it could be a good reason to stop watching all together.

Reactions: Pouchkine

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think the biggest issue with relegation is how to choose who gets promoted since it would effectively be fed by all (or at least the top 5) domestic leagues.

If PSG get relegated, do you just promote the highest team from Ligue 1 even if they're clearly not the best team outside the super league to keep the appropriate level of French involvement? Do you use some kind of UEFA co-efficient and promote the highest ranking team not in the league?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Has there been any indication of what the structure would be at all? How would they be choosing relegation candidates (would it still be broken into groups, with the bottom of the groups getting relegated maybe?)

If there was legitimate relegation/promotion I'd be fine with it I guess. I don't have a problem with the current CL tbh, so whatever.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think the biggest issue with relegation is how to choose who gets promoted since it would effectively be fed by all (or at least the top 5) domestic leagues.

If PSG get relegated, do you just promote the highest team from Ligue 1 even if they're clearly not the best team outside the super league to keep the appropriate level of French involvement? Do you use some kind of UEFA co-efficient and promote the highest ranking team not in the league?
Playoffs. Spots shouldn't be reserved to any league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad