GWT: Champions League Matchday 3: 10/20 - 10/21

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Juve-Gladbach is a snoozefest, Juve have had more possession but barely creating any chances other than long range efforts. Gladbach rarely attacked, won few corners but nothing came from them. Dominguez gave the ball away about 25 yards from goal and took down Morata but the ref decided to give only a yellow, right call as it wasn't clear goal scoring opportunity

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pogba is overrated IMO. Tons of talent and physical tools but not nearly consistent enough or impactful enough to be considered at highly as he is.

Verratti is much better, and I doubt Pogba will ever be as good.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Juve-Gladbach is a snoozefest, Juve have had more possession but barely creating any chances other than long range efforts. Gladbach rarely attacked, won few corners but nothing came from them. Dominguez gave the ball away about 25 yards from goal and took down Morata but the ref decided to give only a yellow, right call as it wasn't clear goal scoring opportunity

I heard that in the game to, but the possession stats I'm finding have BMG with the majority of possession. I guess they just haven't updated; though BMG have seemed to hold onto the ball more than Juve :-/ Cuadrado's had some nice moments and Traore is looking pretty sharp today. Raffael has almost pounced on a couple of occasions, but Xhaka-Dahoud and the Juve midfield are really neutralizing one another and keeping each other from getting any sort of control over the game or flow going.

BMG are lucky that Alvaro didn't see Red there though. I like the call, but wouldn't have been surprised or griped if the ref had been harsher there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pogba is overrated IMO. Tons of talent and physical tools but not nearly consistent enough or impactful enough to be considered at highly as he is.

He's 22 years old, so of course he's not consistent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Pogba still comes up with enough game deciding moments for him to be rated appropriately for me; but I would take Verratti over him at this time as well. If Pogba starts controlling games with the sort of consistency Veratti or an on-form-Ilkay do he'll justify the hype and he's still so young, so I'm not going to start holding it against him...especially with the changes Juve underwent this summer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Real dominating the first half. Better organized too.
PSG are not using long balls enough.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Trapp is having a great game so far BTW.
Ref calls a foul on every player falling to the ground. Might be worth noting.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's the kind of shot that buys your Pogba's and Xhaka's more leeway than common young-players. Really sharp quickshot by Pogba.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's 22 years old, so of course he's not consistent.

The way people rate and talk about him he should be more consistent, but he isn't. This year in particular he has been quite poor. It's easy to look good in a midfield of Pirlo/Vidal/Marchisio. He's not a bad player, he's very good, but he's not a top 10-20 player in the world like people make him out to be.

How many times has he controlled a game in the CL for Juventus? Or even put in exceptional performances?

Again, he's not bad but he's not really that close to someone like Verratti (who is also 22).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The way people rate and talk about him he should be more consistent, but he isn't. This year in particular he has been quite poor. It's easy to look good in a midfield of Pirlo/Vidal/Marchisio. He's not a bad player, he's very good, but he's not a top 10-20 player in the world like people make him out to be.

How many times has he controlled a game in the CL for Juventus? Or even put in exceptional performances?

Again, he's not bad but he's not really that close to someone like Verratti (who is also 22).

He's not yet a game controlling player but he comes up with moments of brilliance like that flick more than often enough to warrant people's excitement with his talent. He's more an explosive 10 than a game controlling 8 at this point, but lets see what he grows into.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Blanc puts Lucas and Pastore in, as I said, but decided to change Cavani (who had the best chance) and Di Maria (who lost a lot of balls but who clearly dangerous) and he let Ibra on. Ibra who has been absolutely awful. So yeah Ibra can be awful and score two quick goals in a minute but still. I don't like it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In other news, I have no idea who half of these Madrid players are. Rafa working wonders, presumably.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yep, definitely something he has to progress on.
Should have been second yellow there.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Probably not better in fact. The subs have played good collective football. This is the most disciplined Real team I've seen all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad