GWT: Champions League Matchday 3: 10/20 - 10/21

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Verratti is an awesome player, but holy mother of lord is he ever greasy. I agree with those saying that he's right behind Modric in the discussion of the best #8s around.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I admit, I do chuckle at the people who use the name Verratti and DM in the same sentence. He's not even close to that, what he is, is a deep lying playmaker who also happens to read the game at a very high level at both ends of the pitch, thus is needed for his defensive attributes. But he isn't a spine of a team nor is he a defensive midfielder. You can say he's more of a BxB, that doesn't get to play BxB due to Blanc's tactics.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am not trying to undervalue his affects on the team, he is a truly wonderful player that I was talking about before any of you have (except Evilo). But he isn't what some of you think he is.

Good. Maybe we'll sign him next Summer at a reduced rate.
To do what? Sit on the bench at Barca or loan him out where he considers his loan club more as "his main team" than Barca?! :laugh:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I agree

Veratti is a B2B

Blanc should use a triangle with TM as a DM, and Veratti and Pastore as CM's

And Cavani is so misuded on the wing, but Blanc doesn't have the blls to bench Ibra

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I agree

Veratti is a B2B

Blanc should use a triangle with TM as a DM, and Veratti and Pastore as CM's

And Cavani is so misuded on the wing, but Blanc doesn't have the blls to bench Ibra

I haven't paid enough attention to as much football this year compared to last year (considering Europe), but has Ibrah regressed that he deserves to be bench? Or are you saying this to give Cavani some legitimate 1st team minutes as a strilker?

The problem I see with Blanc is that he uses the most boring formation in all of football, the 4-3-3, and the team he has is so strong in the midfield. It makes no sense to me, but he did play a 4-2-2-2 against RM yesterday.

I would personally play a 4-1-3-2 formation...

Ibrah - Cavani
Lavezzi/Di Maria - Verratti - Lucas/Di Maria
Matuidi/Motta
Kurzawa - Silva - Luiz/Marquinhos - Aurier

This formation would also exhibit some great club rotation strength so they can preform in both the Ligue 1 and CL, without being stressed or tired. Plus you can always take the other striker out and play a 4-1-4-1 formation with Matuidi playing as a BxB as well.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Well Ibra doesn't really have the impact he used to have

Cavani works his ass off every game

Having a player like ADM allows Blanc to use him either in the MF (4-4-2) or in the wings (4-3-3)

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ibra is getting into rhythm after injuries.
Problem is, it takes him longer now that he's a bit older.
Having Ibra means no Pastore (since he plays 10 anyway) and Cavani on the wing (and thus no Lucas).

So the problem is tactical really. When Ibra scores 3 a game, no big deal but in bigger and tougher games, they need to use the better tactic.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
To do what? Sit on the bench at Barca or loan him out where he considers his loan club more as "his main team" than Barca?! :laugh:

I was being sarcastic. And by sit on the bench do you mean like he's doing with Juventus how much of the time at the moment?

I haven't paid enough attention to as much football this year compared to last year (considering Europe), but has Ibrah regressed that he deserves to be bench? Or are you saying this to give Cavani some legitimate 1st team minutes as a strilker?

The problem I see with Blanc is that he uses the most boring formation in all of football, the 4-3-3, and the team he has is so strong in the midfield. It makes no sense to me, but he did play a 4-2-2-2 against RM yesterday.

I would personally play a 4-1-3-2 formation...

Ibrah - Cavani
Lavezzi/Di Maria - Verratti - Lucas/Di Maria
Matuidi/Motta
Kurzawa - Silva - Luiz/Marquinhos - Aurier

This formation would also exhibit some great club rotation strength so they can preform in both the Ligue 1 and CL, without being stressed or tired. Plus you can always take the other striker out and play a 4-1-4-1 formation with Matuidi playing as a BxB as well.

That would be an awful formation and the 4-3-3 makes a ton of sense considering PSG's players. Probably the main knock it on the 4-3-3 considering the players Blanc has at his disposal is amplified even more with that formation you posted.

Too soon maybe in 2 years.

Heard a crazy rumour that Allegri wants him to be a 10 to cover the lack of creativity in the midfield. :shakehead

I wasn't serious. I mean I'd take him, but I don't see it happening. Interesting reading that Braida was scouting Berardi though. Call me crazy, but I actually want to see Deulofeu get a real chance. Doubt that happens with Lucho in charge though.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Well Ibra doesn't really have the impact he used to have

Cavani works his ass off every game

Having a player like ADM allows Blanc to use him either in the MF (4-4-2) or in the wings (4-3-3)

Are we sure this guy isn't Mourinho in disguise?

People need to stop with this nonsense. Strikers are there to score you goals. Coming back and working your ass off is irrelevant. Cavani cannot finish. And please don't bring up his goal scoring record. Assuming we all watch soccer, we should be on the same page about his finish being horrible.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Leading the league in goals scored while being played on the wing and not shooting penalties. :laugh:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

People need to stop with this nonsense. Strikers are there to score you goals. Coming back and working your ass off is irrelevant. Cavani cannot finish. And please don't bring up his goal scoring record. Assuming we all watch soccer, we should be on the same page about his finish being horrible.
What Evilo said

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

"Cavani can't score" "don't bring up his goalscoring record"

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
To be fair, if you overlook Neuer's positioning, shot-stopping abilities and reflexes, he's not a world-class keeper.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

People need to stop with this nonsense. Strikers are there to score you goals.
Coming back and working your ass off is irrelevant. Cavani cannot finish. And please don't bring up his goal scoring record. Assuming we all watch soccer, we should be on the same page about his finish being horrible.

:laugh:

To be fair, if you overlook Neuer's positioning, shot-stopping abilities and reflexes, he's not a world-class keeper.

Good thing you didn't bring up him being a sweeper keeper or you'd be Mourinho in disguise. People need to stop with that nonsense. Keepers are there to stop goals.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lol I like how you say strikers are there to score goals and throw out cavani's work rate but all you do is go on about Suarez work rate and desire to win. And then you knock costa for the same thing. It's bias

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was being sarcastic. And by sit on the bench do you mean like he's doing with Juventus how much of the time at the moment?
Yeah, but he also doesn't have Suarez, Neymar, Messi, and El Haddadi who all can play the striker position in front of him.

That would be an awful formation and the 4-3-3 makes a ton of sense considering PSG's players. Probably the main knock it on the 4-3-3 considering the players Blanc has at his disposal is amplified even more with that formation you posted.
If you think my formation is awful, you need a lobotomy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad