Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

Karpat

Nov 28, 2017
I will watch every JYPs CHL-game here in Jyväskylä and do some trips to Oulu in the CHL-playoffs. Watched one Liiga-game last year and won´t do the same mistake this season.

CHL 100 - Liiga 0

Reactions: adamnowek
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I will watch every JYPs CHL-game here in Jyväskylä and do some trips to Oulu in the CHL-playoffs. Watched one Liiga-game last year and won´t do the same mistake this season.

CHL 100 - Liiga 0

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but because DAZN isn’t available in the states, where is the best way to watch the CHL?

Babula

May 31, 2012
I for one, approve of the CHL. Sure, some teams are gonna be worse than others. But I like the fact that there is a "champion" of Europe instead of just league champions. If soccer can do it, why not hockey too

I like the idea... but this thing is trying for more than 20 years... I will be glad about this attempt will be the right one...

Anyway it is strictly opposite, soccer is best in europe and hockey is the best in NA... so ? what do you think exactly...?

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I like the idea... but this thing is trying for more than 20 years... I will be glad about this attempt will be the right one...

Anyway it is strictly opposite, soccer is best in europe and hockey is the best in NA... so ? what do you think exactly...?

Because in North America, there's not any "top of the pile" professional league for hockey in Canada, and one seperate one in the US. And I am fairly sure there absolutely no hockey in Mexico. So it wouldn't work. The only thing close to it North America has is the Memorial Cup for hockey, and that is for junior teams spanning three leagues that make up one greater league.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Because in North America, there's not any "top of the pile" professional league for hockey in Canada, and one seperate one in the US. And I am fairly sure there absolutely no hockey in Mexico. So it wouldn't work. The only thing close to it North America has is the Memorial Cup for hockey, and that is for junior teams spanning three leagues that make up one greater league.
We are talking at cross purposes. sorry what the hell memorial cup meaning in adult hockey ?

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012

I for one, approve of the CHL. Sure, some teams are gonna be worse than others. But I like the fact that there is a "champion" of Europe instead of just league champions. If soccer can do it, why not hockey too

In fact I dont know... Money problems ?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
expect 1 000 in swedish arenas and not a single hit. and still swedish clubs will win their games, thats how skilled they are that even without their fans and grit level they still dominate.

if swedish clubs had their fans that they have in shl and playing with same grit level as they do in shl then all games will end with 10-0 to swedish teams...

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
expect 1 000 in swedish arenas and not a single hit. and still swedish clubs will win their games, thats how skilled they are that even without their fans and grit level they still dominate.

if swedish clubs had their fans that they have in shl and playing with same grit level as they do in shl then all games will end with 10-0 to swedish teams...
Was it a swedish team that won last year or...:sarcasm:

I honestly expect JYP to be the single biggest favorite to win this year again, they have a nice thrive for these euro competitions (recent European Trophy and CHL champions) but honestly any swiss, finnish, swedish, german or czech team could take it. Swedish teams...might have some minimal edge on paper, but very minimal. For example JYP's experience of winning it all is of greater value than any edge a swedish team might have on paper (If there is any edge there at all looking at the rosters..?)

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Was it a swedish team that won last year or...:sarcasm:

I honestly expect JYP to be the single biggest favorite to win this year again, they have a nice thrive for these euro competitions (recent European Trophy and CHL champions) but honestly any swiss, finnish, swedish, german or czech team could take it. Swedish teams...might have some minimal edge on paper, but very minimal. For example JYP's experience of winning it all is of greater value than any edge a swedish team might have on paper (If there is any edge there at all looking at the rosters..?)
Karpat,Vaxjo and JYP are favorites.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
No, if we're talking about real favourites its:

1. Växjö
2. Frölunda and Kärpet

Also, its far more likely for växjö to play in the finals again than Jyp even reaching the semis

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
No, if we're talking about real favourites its:

1. Växjö
2. Frölunda and Kärpet

Also, its far more likely for växjö to play in the finals again than Jyp even reaching the semis
JYP has won it twice recently, so you probably need to back that claim up with something. I'm not sure with Kärpät's centers. Kupari, Heponiemi and Kristof are all pretty much unknown quantities at this point. They might all score 50 points or they might score just 20. Lasu is the only safe bet quality center. Preferrably a 3rd liner.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
JYP has won it twice recently, so you probably need to back that claim up with something. I'm not sure with Kärpät's centers. Kupari, Heponiemi and Kristof are all pretty much unknown quantities at this point. They might all score 50 points or they might score just 20. Lasu is the only safe bet quality center. Preferrably a 3rd liner.

Jyp won the CHL once and it was last season, the same season they struggled to get past the group stage. Växjö are one of the few teams which are almost guaranteed to make it past the group stage no matter what bracket they're put in. They're also the favourites to win against any opponent in the league, same cant be said about JYP. As for Kärpät, they've proven themselves in CHL before. They're back in being a top Liiga team again, so its only natural to assume they have the capacity to make it far in CHL just like before (and the sportbookies agree with me)

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Jyp won the CHL once and it was last season, the same season they struggled to get past the group stage. Växjö are one of the few teams which are almost guaranteed to make it past the group stage no matter what bracket they're put in. They're also the favourites to win against any opponent in the league, same cant be said about JYP. As for Kärpät, they've proven themselves in CHL before. They're back in being a top Liiga team again, so its only natural to assume they have the capacity to make it far in CHL just like before (and the sportbookies agree with me)
Hmm, I don't know about the level of argument there, anyone could insert their favorite team there and say the same things, but okey.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Hmm, I don't know about the level of argument there, anyone could insert their favorite team there and say the same things, but okey.

I said the same thing in previous years, about Frölunda (hardly my favourite team) and kärpät. Im just being realistic

If I were to put money down, Id much rather have them tied to Kärpät or Frölunda than JYP. Both feel like much safer bets

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I said the same thing in previous years, about Frölunda (hardly my favourite team) and kärpät. Im just being realistic

If I were to put money down, Id much rather have them tied to Kärpät or Frölunda than JYP. Both feel like much safer bets
And I'm far from being a JYP fan, just to make that clear :D You might be right, but my gut says that JYP, with the experience of winning these will finish higher than Kärpät, while Kärpät will finish higher in the finnish league.

Currently watching the Plzen-Lugano game and really liking it, very fast based hockey and crowd seems to love it also. Seems like a decent attendance for the first game also.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Good to watch some real hockey again. Been viewing some of the pre season games from Youtube, whatever has been available and you can already see how much more the teams care for the CHL games, the base is completely different.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

That is one level of humility i seldomely witnessed.

Not to say that i am not that convinced about it. SHL is better yes ... that better. Very probably not.
All teams have the same problem in CHL.

You cannot compare a CHL game with a national game.

Then, some other teams are pretty good ...Czechs have some good teams, Finns, We Swiss, the Red Bulls (Mun & Salz) can also be true pests.

I wouldn't put the Swedish teams so higher. For reality reasons and for diplomatic reasons.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Why can not the VHL play the CHL? A journalist thinks a VHL teams would not be the last one.

I watched the VHL pre-season tournaments this off-season. So, Cardiff would be the last even in a tournament played in Kazan with Buran, Bars, Tambov & Zvezda. Ohh, the Champions Hockey League....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad