Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
because it haven't generated enough attention to justify the cost. So they ended it. Just like Gazprom with CHL. It's business decision.
but after only 1 year? what did Gazprom expect the return to be after only the 1st season of CHL? it takes time to for the a "new" league to generate interest. when you start a new company you are not going to generate millions of dollars of revenue right away, it takes time to build, but i guess Gazprom did not truly believe in the CHL.

Reactions: adamnowek

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree that it better for both sides to be completely separate. I just see no reasons for such speculations. Gazprom had paid quite a money for CHL 2008. Without it CHL 2008 couldn't be what it was. That's a fact. I don't know what they have expected, but apparently return from it wasn't worth it. So they bailed. As many other sponsors do for such tournaments. It's not their fault that IIHF couldn't find replacement. It just shows that Gazprom was completely right in its decision. CHL 2008 was completely unsustainable from the start. You cant blame someone for not wanting to throw money away.

Which is why the clubs decided to take matters into their own hands and build a new CHL with a base that isn't going to fall apart if one sponsor leaves without warning. All the founding memeber put in a stake, got automatic qualifying for a few years in return. Now since they have to succeed domestically to qualify, it's up to them to perform well enough.

alce

Sep 29, 2017
but after only 1 year? what did Gazprom expect the return to be after only the 1st season of CHL? it takes time to for the a "new" league to generate interest. when you start a new company you are not going to generate millions of dollars of revenue right away, it takes time to build, but i guess Gazprom did not truly believe in the CHL.

Maybe they seriously overestimated popularity of hockey in Europe. It practically doesn't exist for common public of big countries and even in so called "hockey countries" it's never number 1 team sport. Except probably in Finland. So spending more than 10 millions of dollars on such tournament was apparent mistake from the start. They saw it after first year and cut it off. Which was completely justified business decision. They would be stupid if they didn't do that as this tournament would never justify that cost for them. It's common thing in business - you have idea, you spend money to realize it, it fails and you cut the losses. There's really no need to seek any conspiracy in all of this.

Reactions: Jablkon

alce

Sep 29, 2017
Which is why the clubs decided to take matters into their own hands and build a new CHL with a base that isn't going to fall apart if one sponsor leaves without warning. All the founding memeber put in a stake, got automatic qualifying for a few years in return. Now since they have to succeed domestically to qualify, it's up to them to perform well enough.

And I agree with that. CHL 2008 was pure hubris from all sides involved.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Maybe they seriously overestimated popularity of hockey in Europe. It practically doesn't exist for common public of big countries and even in so called "hockey countries" it's never number 1 team sport. Except probably in Finland. So spending more than 10 millions of dollars on such tournament was apparent mistake from the start. They saw it after first year and cut it off. Which was completely justified business decision. They would be stupid if they didn't do that as this tournament would never justify that cost for them. It's common thing in business - you have idea, you spend money to realize it, it fails and you cut the losses. There's really no need to seek any conspiracy in all of this.

A thinking which seems to be around even today among those clamouring for a pan-continental hockey league. Hockey just is a sport that relies hevily on local rivalries on a continent ruled by football. The CHL needs years for anything outside of that to develop into something fans want to watch. Back in the 90's seeing Jokerit play in the European Cup was refreshing because access to hockey was very limited. Not thr same world anymore.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That is one explanation.

Another explanation could be, as usual, that Europeans wanted to control the competition (Russians would have no word in decision making) and Russians (Gazprom) would pay for it. Of course, Russians did not agree.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That is one explanation.

Another explanation could be, as usual, that Europeans wanted to control the competition (Russians would have no word in decision making) and Russians (Gazprom) would pay for it. Of course, Russians did not agree.

:laugh: I'm fairly sure there's a term for this kind of double speculation.

Karpat

Nov 28, 2017
JYP and Karpat have made good money out of the CHL. In the past two or three seasons JYPs CHL games have been more and more popular and last season the Trinec-semifinal and the final got even the worst CHL-dislikers(typically Middle-aged men according to my sources in Jyväskylä and Oulu)thinking if the Champions Hockey League wasn´t that bad after all. Also In 15/16 season the CEO of Karpat(Juha Junno) said that "the CHL played important role when it comes to the net profit we made". In addition Junno stated that Kärpät covered the whole costs of the tournament(From the first game to the final) by the end of group stage. The Playoff-stage was pure profit.

As a fan i would like to see that there were more clubs that saw the CHL as an investment(Like Kärpät, JYP, Trinec) and a new fresh product for fans. I know a lot of people that want desperately to see tougher competition and not always the same domestic league "wrestling" as we say.

It might not be very common just yet but for me and the fans i know the Champions Hockey League is really the most interesting tournament. Hope that there is increasing amount of us who doesn´t like our teams to play the same games in every season the rest of our lives.

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
I shall be travelling to Nuremberg in September to watch Kärpät game. Any need to get tickets for the game beforehand or can I buy them at the gate?

member 305909

A thinking which seems to be around even today amoong those clamouring for a pan-continental hockey league. Hockey just is a sport that relies hevily on local rivalries on a continent ruled by football. The CHL needs years for anything outside of that to develop into something fans want to watch. Back in the 90's seeing Jokerit play in the European Cup was refreshing because access to hockey was very limited. Not thr same world anymore.

I agree. In hockey as well as in other team-sports it is not only love for your own team but it is about sweetness of beating your arch-enemies which you know well.

I cant imagine anyone getting excited about "the local clash" between Jokerit and Dynamo Riga or SKA St Petersburg.

Do Jokerit-fans even follow who wins the league after Jokerit themselves have been eliminated?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I also can't imagine anyone getting excited about a local clash that takes place every few weeks like it is in the Liiga nowadays. Not a surprise then that the average Liiga game attracts only 4,200 spectators anymore.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree. In hockey as well as in other team-sports it is not only love for your own team but it is about sweetness of beating your arch-enemies which you know well.

I cant imagine anyone getting excited about "the local clash" between Jokerit and Dynamo Riga or SKA St Petersburg.

Do Jokerit-fans even follow who wins the league after Jokerit themselves have been eliminated?

At the biggest Finnish hockey messageboards, the KHL playoffs thread usually seems to only have 4-7 hardcore KHL/hockey fans posting in it after Jokerit have been eliminated.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Good for you.

Now back to the discussion. I will sum up my questions ...

Do you claim the CHL is popular in all involving countries?
Name countries where the CHL is successful.
Kummola. That's all. I don't have to have a reasoning. I can just site a random hockey personality and I'm still making more sense than you are. God damn you tire me with your nonsense. A dead thread would be more entertaining than your KHL propaganda.

Reactions: adamnowek and Jussi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kummola. That's all. I don't have to have a reasoning. I can just site a random hockey personality and I'm still making more sense than you are. God damn you tire me with your nonsense. A dead thread would be more entertaining than your KHL propaganda.
You guys should decide if you trust Kummola. It seems you trust him if his words benefit your agenda. And do not trust him if his words do not fit your agenda.

And would be great to reply my questions you quoted.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I shall be travelling to Nuremberg in September to watch Kärpät game. Any need to get tickets for the game beforehand or can I buy them at the gate?

Difficult to say for certain. It's the first time Nuremberg plays in the CHL I think so there may be some excitement about that whic could drive up attendance. But normally it should be possible to get tickets at the gate. The arena seats 8500 people and the average attendance for league games including playoffs over the last couple of seasons was roughly 5700.
As far as I can tell the tickets aren't available for advance booking yet.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They consider to contract again, to 24 sides. As I said, no vision, just a chaos.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You would find more, but here.

I do not say it would be a bad decision. Just suprised they consider it one year after they decided to contract. And if anybody told them 32 is too much....

I translated it to English eventhough I understand German:

On the other hand, there are considerations of the CHL to reduce the field of participants further to 24 teams, as CHL managing director Martin Baumann confirmed in Salzburg. However, this question is still the subject of discussions of the leagues and clubs involved.

There's no mention of doing it next year already and as the article itself mentions, it's only under consideration and the clubs and leagues must agree first.

There's no mention of it in Finnish media either.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I translated it to English eventhough I understand German:

There's no mention of doing it next year already and as the article itself mentions, it's only under consideration and the clubs and leagues must agree first.

There's no mention of it in Finnish media either.
I said they consider, I did not say that they decided and launching it next year.

They decided to contract from 48 to 32 before 17/18 (formal decision approved a bit earlier, but started to work for mentioned season). And after one season with the new model they consider again?

Try to google why it was said in Austria and why now. Perhaps, you will find out why it is not in Finnish media. Btw, your reaction is a direct proof of the CHL´s popularity in Finland.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I said they consider, I did not say that they decided and launching it next year.

They decided to contract from 48 to 32 before 17/18 (formal decision approved a bit earlier, but started to work for mentioned season). And after one season with the new model they consider again?

Try to google why it was said in Austria and why now. Perhaps, you will find out why it is not in Finnish media. Btw, your reaction is a direct proof of the CHL´s popularity in Finland.

I already understood why it was mentioned re: Red Bull Salzburg since they would not be necessarily automatically among those 24 teams. Finnish hockey journalists are though still basically on holiday since sports pages are mostly filled with stuff about Kimi Räkkönen and his book. Hockey pre'season has jsut begun and hockey journos that are working are too busy scouting the teams and trying to figure out how to make their season preview articles as boring and non-informative as possible. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad