Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
A journalist thinks a VHL teams would not be the last one.
Ofcourse they wouldn't you silly bill. Neither would the Allsvenskan teams. Not all the best teams from Europe are in this competition, neither are in the UEFA Champions League.

Reactions: adamnowek

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Ofcourse they wouldn't you silly bill. Neither would the Allsvenskan teams. Not all the best teams from Europe are in this competition, neither are in the UEFA Champions League.
Do you think there are not the best European teams at the UEFA competitions?

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Do you think there are not the best European teams at the UEFA competitions?
All the best are there (as are in the hockey CHL) just that there are better teams left out than some of the teams participating. Ofcourse Ässät, Lukko, Färjestad or Luleå are miles ahead of Cardiff, Grodno or Minsk but the tournament is a lot more fascinating with these smaller teams from smaller hockey countries as well. Just like in the UEFA version the group stages are always the most fun to watch with some of these obscure teams.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I think i just saw the worst hockey game in my life !!

no joke

Zurich - Aalborg 6-5 OT. 80 shots to 24. ... i didn't think AAlborg shot 24 times ... but each time they shot , they scored !!!

I didn't know that hokey gods could be that nasty, and that man could kill himself in such an indirect yet unsubtle way ;-)
Finaly the best prevailed ... but i sincerely hope that the goalie will be changed or a psy will fix his mental.

After reflexion, there could be such a thing than a self mass killing .... yes i believe in it now.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
All the best are there (as are in the hockey CHL) just that there are better teams left out than some of the teams participating. Ofcourse Ässät, Lukko, Färjestad or Luleå are miles ahead of Cardiff, Grodno or Minsk but the tournament is a lot more fascinating with these smaller teams from smaller hockey countries as well. Just like in the UEFA version the group stages are always the most fun to watch with some of these obscure teams.
I do not think the best European hockey teams participate at the CHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Vorky and his sour grapes :laugh: Give it a rest, enjoy some hockey. Obviously, VHL teams aren't there because you can't call something Champions League and have teams from 2nd tier leagues. It's not about the quality.

I watched Frolunda's game and boy, hockey is summer-ish as hell but what else would one expect.

Reactions: adamnowek and Jussi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Vorky and his sour grapes :laugh: Give it a rest, enjoy some hockey. Obviously, VHL teams aren't there because you can't call something Champions League and have teams from 2nd tier leagues. It's not about the quality.

I watched Frolunda's game and boy, hockey is summer-ish as hell but what else would one expect.
But you can have a second tier Swedish team among founding teams.

Why to exclude elite league from Kazakhstan? And elite clubs from a few countries? All legitimate questions.

I do hope ZSC game was not played at Hallenstiadion.

Reactions: torero

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017

Why to exclude elite league from Kazakhstan? And elite clubs from a few countries? All legitimate questions.

The Kazakh league isn t very competitive. The Continental-Cup is the tournament(Qualification for CHL) for little leagues.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Over 4000 fans at the Pilsen game againts Lugano, very good atmosphere and a great game. Looking forward to see Jyväskylä on Saturaday :popcorn:

muGjZOC.jpg
:popcorn:

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Why to exclude elite league from Kazakhstan? And elite clubs from a few countries?

Kazakhstan elite league is not excluded. Last year Nomad Astana (amongst 16 others) had a change to get a spot in this years CHL tournament from last years Continental Cup. The place for this season went to Yunost Minsk. Nomad Astana became second in the final tournament.

Source (wikipedia)

So as you can see, for this season tournament there where basicly participants from 24 european countries, when we include the qualification tournament. So who else we can blame, if the russians don't want to be a part of this united european hockey family, than russians them selfs?

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Sure you can. It's like saying Nottingham Forrest couldn't have won the CL in '79 because they play in the League One (or something) now. KHL has founding teams what don't even exist anymore. What does it have to do with anything? It's not like they are entitled to anything just because they are a "founding team".

Kazakh league, Latvian league, Ukrainian league and all others are included. An argument could be made why does Polish team has a permanent spot while those are forced to compete and sure, this is where outside reasons come into play - geographically, nobody wants to go play in Kazakhstan for sure. But if they would be clearly above the level of similar countries they would play in CHL year after year as Toro explained. They aren't.

By "elite clubs from a few countries" you mean what exactly?

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich

It was.

The problem with the current format of the CHL is that games have to be played that early due to the amount of teams. In the old format in 2008/09 the group stage started in October and were well attended.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@Toro2017 @SoundAndFury

Lets talk about facts, not rumors if I should use a correct word.

Kazakh league is excluded, do your research before posting. That is a problem, people do not make a research.

If anybody think Polish or so leagues are above Kazakh, then ok.

Nottingham Forest´story is totally different from the one I talked about. You say the level of the CHL would decrease if a 2nd tier club to join, on the other hand, you accept a 2nd tier club as your founding club.

Name me one KHL founding club, who does not exist anymore. I give you an advice - there is a different between a team playing a competition & a founding team. And second advice, even famous Lokomotiv Yaroslavl is not a founding team.

I consider Jokerit, Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk & Slovan as elite clubs in their countries. Three of them are from member states of the EU.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It was.

The problem with the current format of the CHL is that games have to be played that early due to the amount of teams. In the old format in 2008/09 the group stage started in October and were well attended.
I agree.

And do you know who to blame? European Hockey Federations from strong countries like Sweden, Finland, Czech rep and so. They refused a reform of the IIHF international schedule. Today, they have scheduling problems in the CHL.

I will remind us what was said at the Barcelona Hockey Forum, where a competition was discussed.

Lichtner showed a proposal with a Champions League type of competition starting with eight teams (top-7 nations plus qualifier) before extending it to 12 and 16 years later on.

“Even the gigantic UEFA Champions League played with eight clubs in the first three years,” Lichtner said.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
The Founding clubs from Sweden. Frolunda. Farjestad. HV71. Linkoping. Lulea. Djurgardens. Please do enlighten me. Which of these teams played in the Allsvenskan in the 2014-15 season. Or rather, in what fictional world did one of these teams play in the Allsvenskan in the 2014-15 season.

Every league has nice games.
Value is a construct. Things only matter because we choose to care about them. Why bother having a hockey league if it isn't the best league (the NHL)? Why bother having a hockey team if isn't the best team? Why should I care if my hockey league isn't the best league in the world (the NHL) if I enjoy watching my league? What objective value is even added by simply being the best? Things matter to people because they assign value to them, generally speaking instrumental value to say money or pleasure, which are instrumental to "thriving".

If you're too cool for school, that's fine, you do your thing over thing. We'll be having school over here, and we'll be enjoying it for the most part.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@kabidjan18

I will quote an official information: The Champions Hockey League AG (CHL) is a company established in 2013 in Switzerland

You reffered to my words "Every league has nice games" which point is the same as you posted here.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
I agree.

And do you know who to blame? European Hockey Federations from strong countries like Sweden, Finland, Czech rep and so. They refused a reform of the IIHF international schedule. Today, they have scheduling problems in the CHL.

I will remind us what was said at the Barcelona Hockey Forum, where a competition was discussed.

Also, in the old CHL some real money could be made (1 Mio if I remember correctly for the winner) and one would get a spot in the Victorias cup. There was some real motivation to win the tournament. Now it's just a pre-season tournament, what's the motivation for a team to win?

I agree that a slower growth would probably have been better to establish this as the competition of the "elite of Europe" similar to the UEFA champions league.

Reactions: vorky

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
@Toro2017 @SoundAndFury

Lets talk about facts, not rumors if I should use a correct word.

Kazakh league is excluded, do your research before posting. That is a problem, people do not make a research.

Fact 1. Continental Cup is a qualifying tournament for CHL

Fact 2. With that CHL + Continental Cup combo there are teams from over 20 european hockey countries that compete for the title Champion of Europe, year after year.

Fact 3. Russia has excluded them selfs from this competition. Probably because they don't want to co-operate with Europe, they want to do something else with Europe. For example the kind of things, they are doing in Ukraine and did in Great Britain

Fact 4. Every Kazakh league team has a possibility to play in CHL in the future.

Fact 5. Arlan Kokshetau from Kazakhstan will participate in this year Continental Cup (wikipedia) and therefore has a change to get a place in CHL for next season.

Fake fact. No Kazakh club can ever enter CHL

Fake fact 2. There is a second tier team amongst the CHL founding members or has ever been, as long as tournament has been played (from season 2014-15).

Fact 6. And if we go to history (which is totally irrelevant in this case) we can also say that KHL team Jokerit have been a second tier team, at some point in their history. That's a fact, but totally irrelevant.

Fact 7. Also a fact (but totally irrelevant) that there are again (suprise suprise) some doping suspicion on russian athletes (yle.fi / text in finnish, but basicly four russian biathletes are under doping suspicion)

To me it seems that you are the lazy one that has no time to make a research.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->