Chalk Talk thread/schemes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
the 3 of the best in the league [Gurley, Fournette, Elliot] are recent top 10 picks
& Barkley will be good
now you can find one later in the draft...but there have been 74 RBs picked in the last 3 drafts, and there's a heck of a lot of complete non-names there who have never sniffed a carry in the league.

And?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
the 3 of the best in the league [Gurley, Fournette, Elliot] are recent top 10 picks
& Barkley will be good
now you can find one later in the draft...but there have been 74 RBs picked in the last 3 drafts, and there's a heck of a lot of complete non-names there who have never sniffed a carry in the league.
They are good, but this is about longevity as much as performance. Using a high pick on a position with a super short shelf life isn't the best use of that pick because it gives you such a short window to maximize its value.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They are good, but this is about longevity as much as performance. Using a high pick on a position with a super short shelf life isn't the best use of that pick because it gives you such a short window to maximize its value.

This. Plus without a competent O-line your running game will struggle. See Barkley. 68 of his 129 yards came off one run in which he created on his own. Take out the 68 yarder and that's 28 carries for 66 yards. 2.3 ypc.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Fournette is one of the most overrated players in the league. And I'm a Jags fan.

That’s a misleading statistic. The play calling of Hackett is DRAMATICALLY different and the games they’ve won without Fournette (aside from Sunday) have been against poor opponents.

If Hackett would call games with Fournette in there the way he does when he hasn’t, the Jags offense would look a lot better a lot more frequently.

That said, the sentiment of taking a RB in the top 10 being stupid is something I generally agree with. The Giants will regret taking Barkley IMO.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I understand this
But, as history shows, yr much more likely to get a sure thing with a high pick on a RB vs., for example, the crapshoot that is picking a QB that high.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I understand this
But, as history shows, yr much more likely to get a sure thing with a high pick on a RB vs., for example, the crapshoot that is picking a QB that high.
QB may be a bigger gamble, but you don't win without a good QB. And the fact of the matter is the great majority of good QBs are found very high in the draft. If you use a high pick on a QB and it works out, then your franchise is competitive for a decade. If instead you use a high pick on a RB and it works out (more likely than with a QB pick for sure), then your franchise has four or five seasons to get performances that are only so much better than the second, third, or fourth tier RBs taken later.

Positions have different values. QB is more important than RB. LT is more important than C. DE is more important than weak side LB. It all comes down to how you load up your roster, and it takes high draft picks to get the best players at the most important positions. Even in this pass-heavy game, RB is still an important position, but the problem is their careers are so short that you better win big and quick to make paying a premium on a RB turn into a good investment.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Jags taking Fournette where they did wasn't a huge deal because at that point the team was basically ready built to compete. They already had a legitimate defense, a QB (at least in their eyes) and skill players around said QB. At that point you can just draft whoever.

The Giants taking Barkley however, is much dumber. Especially when they have a gaping maw of a hole on the offensive line.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
That’s a misleading statistic. The play calling of Hackett is DRAMATICALLY different and the games they’ve won without Fournette (aside from Sunday) have been against poor opponents.

If Hackett would call games with Fournette in there the way he does when he hasn’t, the Jags offense would look a lot better a lot more frequently.

That said, the sentiment of taking a RB in the top 10 being stupid is something I generally agree with. The Giants will regret taking Barkley IMO.

Yeah, I know. I just wish that they use Corey Grant more.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Jags taking Fournette where they did wasn't a huge deal because at that point the team was basically ready built to compete. They already had a legitimate defense, a QB (at least in their eyes) and skill players around said QB. At that point you can just draft whoever.

The Giants taking Barkley however, is much dumber. Especially when they have a gaping maw of a hole on the offensive line.

Especially when the goal was to keep Eli upright..take Quentin Nelson. Immediately upgrades your interior and he and Solder would be a solid left side.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Sad.

Also Jags/Titans was the first 9-6 game without either team committing a turnover. Hard to be that unaggressive in the NFL.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Does anyone measure (or have a way of measuring) throw velocity? I know we get numbers from the combine, but I wasn't sure if we got anything during the season the same way we get measurements of how fast guys are running. I wonder if his ball has lost some zip.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Does anyone measure (or have a way of measuring) throw velocity? I know we get numbers from the combine, but I wasn't sure if we got anything during the season the same way we get measurements of how fast guys are running. I wonder if his ball has lost some zip.

It was tracked once. I remember a 49er game where Kap cranked it over 60 mph a few times.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The interesting thing about Mike Thomas is, he's being counted on as the guy who keeps the offense on schedule. Which is traditionally more of a running back's job. Throwing to a WR is more risky than handing it off for obvious reasons, but when the WR catches 38 out of 40 targets, it becomes not much of a risk at all to throw him the ball.

Of course, you have to have a pretty sophisticated short passing game to make that happen, which the Saints do....still I think when Ingram comes back Thomas will probably go back to something more like his normal production of 6-7 catches a game versus the 10-12 he's doing now. The guy is a tank, but playing the way he does he's taking a ton of hits like a running back would.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Josh Allen threw 66-67 mph at the combine, which they say is the highest ever (at the combine). Favre and Elway supposedly threw in the 63-65 mph range.

Aaron Brooks could really spin it (when it didn't go backwards or slip out of his hand) and I heard Favre say once that Brooks threw harder than him, but Favre was probably in his mid 30s by then.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Mahomes threw it over 60 too. Mahomes has Jeff George level arm talent without the headaches and gutlessness.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The interesting thing about Mike Thomas is, he's being counted on as the guy who keeps the offense on schedule. Which is traditionally more of a running back's job. Throwing to a WR is more risky than handing it off for obvious reasons, but when the WR catches 38 out of 40 targets, it becomes not much of a risk at all to throw him the ball.

Of course, you have to have a pretty sophisticated short passing game to make that happen, which the Saints do....still I think when Ingram comes back Thomas will probably go back to something more like his normal production of 6-7 catches a game versus the 10-12 he's doing now. The guy is a tank, but playing the way he does he's taking a ton of hits like a running back would.

Payton is an offensive genius. He knows his personnel. I love Kamara but he isn't going to bang out runs like Ingram. He's doing what Bill Walsh and all WC guys do. Use the short passing game as an extension of your running game. Thomas is big and sturdy so he can take the punishment.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If you want to feel some sympathy for what Dak Prescott is up against.

He only looked at the first half of the game because he was so upset with how poorly the Cowboys are coached and how poorly they play.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
4 verticals is soooooo 2011, but it can still work if you have tall/big/physical WRs with a big catch radius.

But the Cowboys have Cole Beasley, Tavon Austin and Allen Hurns, so......nah

Feel bad for Dak, he's a damn good QB but he's going to take a beating this season - mentally, physically and in the media

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad