Chalk Talk thread/schemes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
So I just rewatched some cut ups of Nick Flacco's run to the superbowl. The Eagles ran the same 10 concepts that Foles excels at over and over. Just used personnel and formation variations. It was great coaching by the Eagles moreso than Foles.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Kyle is extremely smart and has turned into a player friendly coach. I think being under a guy like Dan Quinn was the best thing for him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The video in the tweet isn't informative, but the article is. Warren Sharp discusses red zone TD success rates from various personnel groupings.

His big conclusion is running the ball out of the zero WR jumbo formation (think goal line in Madden) is not a good way to score TDs.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The video in the tweet isn't informative, but the article is. Warren Sharp discusses red zone TD success rates from various personnel groupings.

His big conclusion is running the ball out of the zero WR jumbo formation (think goal line in Madden) is not a good way to score TDs.

Dk5mQo2V4AALgww.jpg

Football purists had to change their underwear after seeing Fournette in a 3 point stance.

I agree with Sharp.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I always thought the jumbo package was stupid.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
So it seems to me after looking at data collected by football outsiders the last 3 or so years that..

-Rushing yards per game doesn't matter much at all anymore. Attempts and yards before contact are important.

-turnovers, scoring, redzone and 3rd down defense, pressure and hurry rates are more important than yardage and raw stat rankings on defense.

-situational football matters now more than ever.

-Base defenses don't matter and are dead. 5 and 6 man fronts are more popular than ever and interior pressure is king.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I always love these kinds of summaries of themes found in the game, especially when they go against the crap being spewed on broadcasts or by geriatric beat writers.

I tore the first chapter out of one of their books a few years ago to share with a coworker who is a great guy but who still thinks the best way to win NFL is to play like it’s 1975. He loved the phrase “establish the run.” One part of the chapter dealt with how that concept no longer applies. To his credit, my co-worker loved what he read and started getting into reading about modern football theory.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Now you pass to set up your run game. The running aspect of football is all about numbers. The number of the front, the number in the box determines how and when you run.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I love hockey. I play hockey. But what makes regular season football grab me more than regular season hockey is the complexity of football.

Its also much more interesting when teams only have 16 games to get their sh*t together rather than 82. Its a cliche but literally every week is a battle. Three loses in a row can sink your season or cost a coach his job.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Foles thread.

Baldy breaking it down why Solly Thomas and DeFo could be trouble for a shaky Minnesota O-line.

member 157595

This is a great thread. I can't stomach talking hockey on this site anymore but I still come to this place for threads like this.

Fascinating stuff. The sport has changed significantly and fans need to understand that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad