Chalk Talk thread/schemes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It's simple math with the QB run game. It's harder to defend a running game when the QB is a threat as well. If it's 3rd and 10 and the defense blitzes and they are in man coverage..if a QB has a bit of mobility..that drives DC's crazy. Random fact..Drew Brees ran for over 500 yards a year in Joe Tiller's spread offense at Purdue.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's simple math with the QB run game. It's harder to defend a running game when the QB is a threat as well. If it's 3rd and 10 and the defense blitzes and they are in man coverage..if a QB has a bit of mobility..that drives DC's crazy. Random fact..Drew Brees ran for over 500 yards a year in Joe Tiller's spread offense at Purdue.

And that's with sacks counting as negative rushing yards.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Watch how smooth the Packers DBs are at the top of the screen passing off responsibility. For a lot of teams, you either have the two DBs on the same guy resulting in an open Patriot or you'd have a collision resulting in an open Patriot.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Communication matters in your secondary plus that shows why Jaire Alexander should have been picked way higher than he went. Look at his instincts and feet and elite movement to stay with a shifty receiver.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If you are an OL junkie the Saints/Rams game is worth a watch. The Saints are doing some really cool zone blocking with Max Unger at center. He'll set up to chip the guy on one side and then slide over and help reroute the guy on the other side, then sink back to help out lower in the pocket. Just those little nudges get guys leaning the wrong way and once the guard has you on your heels it's over, even against guys like Donald and Suh. There's a play on Baldinger's Twitter where the pocket is so hilariously big there isn't even a Ram player in the picture. The Saints probably pull and move on run blocks more than anybody else I've seen. Fullback wham, duos, darts with either tackle. Cool stuff that makes the run game more unpredictable than most teams because they mix it up so well.

Rams OL is pretty good too, a lot better than I thought. Cam Jordan hasn't been that invisible in a game for at least the last 5 years. They are really solid in pass pro. Rankins was really the only Saints DL that had a good game, everybody else was erased. I don't think the Rams line is very good at run blocking though, they have a lot of size and strength but they don't move all that well. Sort of limits what you can do schematically - which makes Gurley even more impressive to me.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Been a rough year in 49erland but goddamn I'm glad to be wrong about McGlinchey. Been one of the best RT's in the league and look how he can move in space!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The thing about play action is the tolerances are so tight on the back end. If you can get even one guy leaning the wrong way, or a couple of false steps, a good QB has all the extra time and space he needs to make something happen.

Play action used to just be a shot play, now more QBs/playcallers are using it as a zone beater in the middle of the field. Run a couple draws here and there and you're just pulling the defense's strings.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It's simple math with the QB run game. It's harder to defend a running game when the QB is a threat as well..
Parmesan,
Mid 4th quarter, Lamar Jackson has passed for 20 yards..
Time for you to redouble your upsell on the superority of running NFL QBs over pocket passers..

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
The Chargers had a couple plays with three safeties lined up near the line of scrimmage as linebackers. They said in the pregame that 73% of Jackson's passes are to a tightend, so I assume that is the reason for the three safeties. I wonder if more teams will start using a formation like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad