Chalk Talk thread/schemes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm not against picking a running back in the 1st round. I just believe in building the O-line and a QB first.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
But... with a good QB and 0-line in place, the first rounder you're using on a RB is probably at the back half of the draft and not #2.

Exactly. Top 10 picks should used on QB's, D-line/Edge or O-line. Sure there are exceptions but if you're drafting a DB, WR, RB or Off ball LB they better be can't miss instant impact players.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Josh Hermsmeyer (and others I'm sure) has been beating this drum against Barkley since he was taken at #2. He groups McCaffrey in there a bit, but CMC's value is more than just as a back. He's spiked Cam's completion percentage, which doesn't matter that much, but those dump offs are turning those 3rd and longs into 3rd and manageables and gives the defense another body to cover when Cam scrambles. I'm very satisfied with his production and I'm comfortable with where they took him. Everyone else they considered (Lattimore, Hooker, Barnett) was on the defensive side of the ball where they don't need as much help. Though, with them in on Kamara, I'm a bit envious of the combo the Saints ended up with.

@Gene Parmesan or anybody: do you know where to find route numbers? Specifically just how many players run per game. I'm curious how many some of these backs that are getting a lot of snaps are pass blocking versus actually being target options. I have a subscription to TQE, but not PFF.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

The first post is why both the process and result matter in the NFL. The bottom is post/wheel. A fairly easy read. The wheel is open for a TD. Instead Allen holds the ball and bails from a clean pocket and arm punts it down field. Receiver made an adjustment and caught it for 57. Acceptable result, miserable process. Rookie or not, post/wheel is a two man route concept that every QB should be able to read at this level.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
NFL's website has a next gen stats link that shows you routes ran for each game.

I played around with this and it's good, but I'm looking for things more along the lines of numerical number of total routes run or a percentage of snaps where the player runs a route versus how many they block on. Any ideas where to find that outside of PFF?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I played around with this and it's good, but I'm looking for things more along the lines of numerical number of total routes run or a percentage of snaps where the player runs a route versus how many they block on. Any ideas where to find that outside of PFF?

I'd do a search and/or ask the question on r/nfl....they will know if and where to go for that

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Taking running backs in the top 10 is pretty dumb.
I don't disagree.
But Matt Breida is leading the league in rushing because the Lions run-d sucks. 25 yards per game worse than the 2nd worse team level suck.
And I don't think it's suddenly because Matt Breida and Isaiah Crowell suddenly became players you can rely on to rush for over 100 yards at 10+ YPC

It's just a bad example to illustrate the point.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Fun fact Matt Breida outrushed Christian McCaffery last year despite not starting any games. I think Christian McCaffery should be used like Randall Cobb personally. He's a much better receiver than runner. He also looks much more comfortable catching passes.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Taking running backs in the top 10 is pretty dumb.
the 3 of the best in the league [Gurley, Fournette, Elliot] are recent top 10 picks
& Barkley will be good
now you can find one later in the draft...but there have been 74 RBs picked in the last 3 drafts, and there's a heck of a lot of complete non-names there who have never sniffed a carry in the league.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
the 3 of the best in the league [Gurley, Fournette, Elliot] are recent top 10 picks
& Barkley will be good
now you can find one later in the draft...but there have been 74 RBs picked in the last 3 drafts, and there's a heck of a lot of complete non-names there who have never sniffed a carry in the league.

Fournette is one of the most overrated players in the league. And I'm a Jags fan.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad