Proposal: CGY - WPG (Monahan - Scheifele)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
So, as dumb as this proposal is, I thought I would spend a couple of minutes explaining why so that perhaps the OP would give things more thought before posting.

Primary Rule: Understand the needs of the other team.

This is what you failed horribly at. Your contention was that downgrading our 1C would be fine because “The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility and resign some top guys.” and “To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.”

Valimaki is 22 years old and has played 24 NHL games. He is not currently a top 4 D. Will he be in 2 years? I don’t know. The Kets already have LHD highly regarded prospects in Heinola and Samberg that will be fighting to NHL time this season and are certainly regarded as Top 4 D potential.

So, adding another guy into that fight makes any sense while we downgrade our 1C? Absolutely not.

Please do a better job understanding the other team because you waste our time when it was so ill conceived.

So what you're saying is that he needs to add a third round pick to the proposal. Third round picks make everything equal in value especially when it's going to the team that's in win now mode.

;)

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Why would Winnipeg downgrade drastically at centre?

Scheifele is WORLDS better than Monahan. lol.

I wouldn't swap them...but worlds better is a stretch. Monahan's younger, still on pace to have better career numbers. Mark doesn't play any D, 0 physicality, crap on the draw. He's very overrated.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't swap them...but worlds better is a stretch. Monahan's younger, still on pace to have better career numbers. Mark doesn't play any D, 0 physicality, crap on the draw. He's very overrated.
Then why wouldn't you swap them? What does Monahan do?

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Absolutely awful deal for the Jets, Monahan isn’t even close to Scheifele. Scheifele is elite, great offensively and defensively, and Monahan is the definition of carried by Gaudreau. Gaudreau and another asset would maybe get the conversation going but the Jets don’t need any wingers.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Love how the OP bailed out of the thread after post 7 out of 106...
:laugh:

Dislike buttons would be a beautiful add on HFboards.

Lol it was the weekend man ! everyone knows you only HF while on the clock ! But yea in fairness this hasnt worked out well for me. Wait until Valimaki is a calder finalist tho... this aint over tobins !

Edit: Saturday at 10:47 pm and you're trolling HF? Yeesh. Time to download Tinder, unless you're afraid of that dislike button you just suggested.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No, Scheifele is litteraly worlds better.
Scheifele is a better play driver for sure. But defensively they are a wash. To use your quote Monahan is a worlds better faceoff man. I'd take Scheifele over Monahan all day, but Scheifele isn't a world beating #1 center either. I'd be targeting Barkov even for an overpayment.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol it was the weekend man ! everyone knows you only HF while on the clock ! But yea in fairness this hasnt worked out well for me. Wait until Valimaki is a calder finalist tho... this aint over tobins !

Edit: Saturday at 10:47 pm and you're trolling HF? Yeesh. Time to download Tinder, unless you're afraid of that dislike button you just suggested.
Valimaki might end up a better player than either Monahan or Scheifele. He's getting crazy undervalued here. He's the best D prospect I've seen in Calgary since Phaneuf and seems to have the hockey sense Phaneuf lacked.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Valimaki might end up a better player than either Monahan or Scheifele. He's getting crazy undervalued here. He's the best D prospect I've seen in Calgary since Phaneuf and seems to have the hockey sense Phaneuf lacked.

He’s 22 years old with 24 career NHL games.

I think you need him to showcase his skills at the NHL level at this point before expecting to use him as a trading chip to secure a 1C.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He’s 22 years old with 24 career NHL games.

I think you need him to showcase his skills at the NHL level at this point before expecting to use him as a trading chip to secure a 1C.
For sure. You're correct. I don't want to move him period, but his value isn't where it's going to be in my opinion in a year or two. I remember a bunch of people saying Gaudreau was worth a 2nd at most before he came into the league as well. It wasn't that they were necessarily wrong, just sometimes you see guys with really high upside and moving them would be stupid.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars

Like being a saturday at 11pm makes you cool/uncool. I guess not just your trade ideas that are messed up lol. And why the hell would I need tinder, quit being a Chad. You sir are a special one.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Scheifele is the better player, but it's not miles of difference. Look at their production. Look at the faceoffs. They both play with elite wingers who help their numbers. They both are average to below average in their own end. I'd just say Scheifele drives the play better and is the better skater.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I can't imagine this works for the Jets.

It's never a good idea to downgrade your first-line centre position.

Furthermore, Schiefle is not just any old player. I think he is pretty much the face of the franchise, and might possibly be a life-long Jet – like Dale Hawerchuck should have been. This is an iconic player.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
A Monahan trade that actually makes CGY better (imo).

To CGY:
Mark Scheifele & Giovanni Vallati

To WPG:
Sean Monahan & Juuso Valimaki

Monahan: 0.76 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifele: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Why it could make sense: The flames have a log jam on the left side, atleast until Gio declines/retires. The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility and resign some top guys. The flames upgrade the center position with a bigger stronger version of Monahan in Scheifele, who is a right shot in a sea of lefties in CGY. Plays with more of an edge and it more of a Treliving type.

Valimaki is the flames top prospect and will be very hard to trade, but Scheifele..

To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.

Monahan PPG: 0.76 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifle PPG: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Jets didn’t even retain the rights to Giovani Vallati.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Scheifele is a franchise 1C. He is substantially more valuable then Monahan.

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
It seems like a culture killing move for the Jets. I think it would emotionally drain the team. What would Wheeler say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad