Proposal: CGY - WPG (Monahan - Scheifele)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If Calgary offered up Monahan+ Andersson, I'm sure Winnipeg says no.

#1 centres are very very hard to get, it would take the moon to pry one from a team especially when there's no issues between the player and team.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
That's a bit of a reach, he is top 15 but calling him top 10 is subjective
Only because he got hurt in the play-ins and everyone named ever center to play well in the playoffs as a top 5 (Point, Barzal both had threads). Look up the top 10 center threads from last season - he's on most posters lists.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
So what you’re saying is..

When you’re a jet you’re a jet all the way
From your very first shift till your dying day?

..cool.
No, what he said was what you quoted.

I don't know where you got that from.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Was hoping something good from the title but I don't think Valimaki is enough (even if he has potential, it is currently unproven)

Ledge And Dairy

Only because he got hurt in the play-ins and everyone named ever center to play well in the playoffs as a top 5 (Point, Barzal both had threads). Look up the top 10 center threads from last season - he's on most posters lists.
McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Draisaitl, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, Malkin, Bergeron, Couturier, O'Reilly. That is 11 centers who will and should sit above Scheifele in every list so no, he is not a top 10 center.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Calgary gets the better value, BUT I'm still not sure I do it from a Calgary perspective in the sense that I think our chances of re-signing Gaudreau take a huge hit if we trade Monahan. Valimaki is also a complete stud.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Calgary gets the better value, BUT I'm still not sure I do it from a Calgary perspective in the sense that I think our chances of re-signing Gaudreau take a huge hit if we trade Monahan. Valimaki is also a complete stud.
Wouldn't Gaudreau be pretty psyched to play with a better offensive player who happens to also be better defensively (and costs less and is signed longer)? I mean, Monahan may be friends with Gaudreau, but I don't think he's a player that's particularly exciting to play with (he's a very good, but not exceptional center).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So the Jets downgrade Scheifele by two or three tiers just to get LHD prospect who wouldn’t play ahead of Heinola or Samberg?

Jets don’t have Vallati’s rights anymore either

Ledge And Dairy

So the Jets downgrade Scheifele by two or three tiers just to get LHD prospect who wouldn’t play ahead of Heinola or Samberg?

Jets don’t have Vallati’s rights anymore either
Saying Valimaki wouldn't play ahead of Heinola is a coin toss depending on how Heinola progresses and if he can catch up to Valimaki, but saying he won't play above Samberg is just wrong. Valimaki is marginally better than Samberg.

Reactions: Mazatt

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Saying Valimaki wouldn't play ahead of Heinola is a coin toss depending on how Heinola progresses and if he can catch up to Valimaki, but saying he won't play above Samberg is just wrong. Valimaki is marginally better than Samberg.
Even if we go with this (IMO, it is wrong, but let's go with it) it's still an absolutely horrifically abysmal trade for Winnipeg. Why are they giving away their franchise C for a small upgrade on Heinola?

Ledge And Dairy

Even if we go with this (IMO, it is wrong, but let's go with it) it's still an absolutely horrifically abysmal trade for Winnipeg. Why are they giving away their franchise C for a small upgrade on Heinola?
I don't disagree with that. Winnipeg should not do this trade. Besides the Jets just drafted Perfetti and if the plan is to play him at center they can't really put them selves in a position to have the slowest center depth in the league.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Schiefele is a ppg 1C
Monahan is a 60-65pt 2C on a contender (the 48 and 82 pt seasons kinda cancel each other)

they arent close and valimaki isnt a piece that gets it done

Laine for Monahan + would be closer

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
A Monahan trade that actually makes CGY better (imo).

To CGY:
Mark Scheifele & Giovanni Vallati

To WPG:
Sean Monahan & Juuso Valimaki

Monahan: 0.76 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifele: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Why it could make sense: The flames have a log jam on the left side, atleast until Gio declines/retires. The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility and resign some top guys. The flames upgrade the center position with a bigger stronger version of Monahan in Scheifele, who is a right shot in a sea of lefties in CGY. Plays with more of an edge and it more of a Treliving type.

Valimaki is the flames top prospect and will be very hard to trade, but Scheifele..

To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.

Monahan PPG: 0.76 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifle PPG: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Scheifele is so much better than Monahan it's mind boggling. Dream on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad