Proposal: CGY - WPG (Monahan - Scheifele)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Draisaitl, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, Malkin, Bergeron, Couturier, O'Reilly. That is 11 centers who will and should sit above Scheifele in every list so no, he is not a top 10 center.
We get it. The Selke gives you a boner.

WeatherBeaten

Mar 4, 2019
No, very clearly way over my head :(
It’s a West Side Story reference which is a musical inspired by Romeo and Juliet. The Jets and the Sharks are rival gangs. The first quote was from a song in the musical. The movie was made in the 1960s (and no I’m not THAT old) so I don’t blame you for missing it, but it is a classic.

Reactions: IlikeEich

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It’s a West Side Story reference which is a musical inspired by Romeo and Juliet. The Jets and the Sharks are rival gangs. The first quote was from a song in the musical. The movie was made in the 1960s (and no I’m not THAT old) so I don’t blame you for missing it, but it is a classic.
Appreciate the clarity.

I did have to watch it several times throughout my school years but it clearly didn't stick with me.

As you were, Eich:D

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So, as dumb as this proposal is, I thought I would spend a couple of minutes explaining why so that perhaps the OP would give things more thought before posting.

Primary Rule: Understand the needs of the other team.

This is what you failed horribly at. Your contention was that downgrading our 1C would be fine because “The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility and resign some top guys.” and “To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.”

Valimaki is 22 years old and has played 24 NHL games. He is not currently a top 4 D. Will he be in 2 years? I don’t know. The Kets already have LHD highly regarded prospects in Heinola and Samberg that will be fighting to NHL time this season and are certainly regarded as Top 4 D potential.

So, adding another guy into that fight makes any sense while we downgrade our 1C? Absolutely not.

Please do a better job understanding the other team because you waste our time when it was so ill conceived.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
A Monahan trade that actually makes CGY better (imo).

To CGY:
Mark Scheifele & Giovanni Vallati

To WPG:
Sean Monahan & Juuso Valimaki

Monahan: 0.76 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifele: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Why it could make sense: The flames have a log jam on the left side, atleast until Gio declines/retires. The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility and resign some top guys. The flames upgrade the center position with a bigger stronger version of Monahan in Scheifele, who is a right shot in a sea of lefties in CGY. Plays with more of an edge and it more of a Treliving type.

Valimaki is the flames top prospect and will be very hard to trade, but Scheifele..

To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.

Monahan PPG: 0.76 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifle PPG: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years
This proposal is chef's kiss into projectile vomitingly bad for both sides.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I really like Scheifele. I also really like Valimaki. Tough decision, which I suppose means the value is pretty close. I think Valimaki will be a top pairing guy. But there's still risk there. Scheifele with Gaudreau could be really disgustingly filthy. I'd do Monahan and a 1st or any other prospect in our system in a heartbeat.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jets likely say no. Flames would probably say the same though. I think the Flames have very high hopes that Valimaki will be the heir to Gio. When Gio retires, the Flames will need someone to fill role and I think the easiest way to get that, is to potentially hope Valimaki is that guy you already have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Valimaki's potential does not bridge the gap between Monahan and Scheifele. Deal favors the Flames but both teams probably are not interested

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I really like Scheifele. I also really like Valimaki. Tough decision, which I suppose means the value is pretty close. I think Valimaki will be a top pairing guy. But there's still risk there. Scheifele with Gaudreau could be really disgustingly filthy. I'd do Monahan and a 1st or any other prospect in our system in a heartbeat.

Not sure there's a single prospect in the Flames system that would bridge the gap between Scheifele and Monahan. Making this proposal dead in the water.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not sure there's a single prospect in the Flames system that would bridge the gap between Scheifele and Monahan. Making this proposal dead in the water.
I like Scheifele a lot, but let's not pretend that he's a top 5 center. He's a legit #1, but he's not Mackinnon or something. His defensive game is average and he's a 46% faceoff guy. Monahan is excellent on the draw. I'd say Valimaki will be a top pairing defenseman. Monahan has 33 less career points and is a year younger. Scheifele is a better player to be sure, but it's not a massive gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad