Proposal: CGY - WPG (Monahan - Scheifele)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Again, I never said he was a bust. Just that he didn't live up to the draft hype. You were the one calling bonafide NHLers a bust. If you remember during Laine's draft and 1st year there were very real conversations about who was better Laine or Matthews and tons of "next Ovechkin" comments. Admittedly, I see Laine in a more negative light than most. His game really lacks detail and there are large stretches where he looks disinterested in doing anything but firing one timers from the top of the circle. I prefer guys like Lowry who give you everything they've got and have more detailed games.
Hey man, just checking, how often did you watch Laine this past year?

Reactions: wabagee

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hey man, just checking, how often did you watch Laine this past year?
20ish times. I know my opinion is the minority one, I'm well aware of that. It's still how I see it. I'm higher on Ehlers, Pionk, Wheeler and Lowry than most Jets fans and lower on Trouba (in the past, I know he's gone) and Laine.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Again, I never said he was a bust. Just that he didn't live up to the draft hype. You were the one calling bonafide NHLers a bust. If you remember during Laine's draft and 1st year there were very real conversations about who was better Laine or Matthews and tons of "next Ovechkin" comments. Admittedly, I see Laine in a more negative light than most. His game really lacks detail and there are large stretches where he looks disinterested in doing anything but firing one timers from the top of the circle. I prefer guys like Lowry who give you everything they've got and have more detailed games.
Your getting a little out of hand by saying Laine didn’t live up to the hype because he isn’t the best goal scorer ever.

Just remember the bar for Laine is 30 goals in a season is an absolute disaster.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Your getting a little out of hand by saying Laine didn’t live up to the hype because he isn’t the best goal scorer ever.

Just remember the bar for Laine is 30 goals in a season is an absolute disaster.
He's a good goal scorer. He just doesn't give you anything else. Like I said, I'm not a fan of his game at all. I'd take 5 other Jets forwards ahead of him in terms of helping a team win games.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Which is great if he’ll accept being paid like a 30 goal scorer if he wants the money that comes with being more he needs to prove more.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Who are you comparing him to?
It sounds like he wants Rantanen or Marner money. Connor is a consistent 30 goal scorer so if he wanted 8.5 that would be great but he’s not driving a line or anything. He is a sniper who averages 30 goals. So I can’t see anyone wanting to pay a king’s ransom till they know how much he’ll sign for, he learns to drive or he gets 40 goals more than once.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It sounds like he wants Rantanen or Marner money. Connor is a consistent 30 goal scorer so if he wanted 8.5 that would be great but he’s not driving a line or anything. He is a sniper who averages 30 goals. So I can’t see anyone wanting to pay a king’s ransom till they know how much he’ll sign for, he learns to drive or he gets 40 goals more than once.

you think Connor is Laine’s comparable?

I think he was talking Rantenen - Marner money because he thought he would produce like them if he had a top notch center like Matthews/MacKinnon and not a Little level center. Well he got Scheifele to play with last year and didn’t produce Marner/Rantenen points. Don’t you think that kicked a leg out of his reinforcement of his value?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
you think Connor is Laine’s comparable?

I think he was talking Rantenen - Marner money because he thought he would produce like them if he had a top notch center like Matthews/MacKinnon and not a Little level center. Well he got Scheifele to play with last year and didn’t produce Marner/Rantenen points. Don’t you think that kicked a leg out of his reinforcement of his value?
I think Connor is closer as a comparable than those guys. He should get a million more. After all both of them are elite snipers, both but up 30 pt seasons. Neither one of them are particularly good in their own zone, laine is better so it should be reflected in getting more money. But still comparables. Neither one of them drive a line. Laine can hit and Connor is softer but that doesn't equal more than a mil or a mil and a half to me.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think Connor is closer as a comparable than those guys. He should get a million more. After all both of them are elite snipers, both but up 30 pt seasons. Neither one of them are particularly good in their own zone, laine is better so it should be reflected in getting more money. But still comparables. Neither one of them drive a line. Laine can hit and Connor is softer but that doesn't equal more than a mil or a mil and a half to me.
Laine doesn’t deserve more for having more Total goals at the same age and a 44 goal season as a 19 year old?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laine doesn’t deserve more for having more Total goals at the same age and a 44 goal season as a 19 year old?
I said Laine should get 1 to 1.5 mil more than Connor. Does he deserve more than 8.5 I would say no. Can you really say he deserves 9 or 9.5 for one 40 goal season a 36, a 30 and a under 30 goal season? Especially with the way how covid is going to affect the NHL?

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He's a good goal scorer. He just doesn't give you anything else. Like I said, I'm not a fan of his game at all. I'd take 5 other Jets forwards ahead of him in terms of helping a team win games.
If you watched him p lay that many ti mes you should know that he is a great passer and had more assists than goals last season and thet he was usually the first forward bck into his own zone no?
Did you watch all of the games or just a couple of minutes?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
No, but Scheifele isn't even close to the player Mackinnon is. I think Mackinnon is the best player in the league with possibly Hedman as an exception.
And Monahan plus Valimaki isn’t even close to getting MacKinnon.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Apparently this thread has turned into a OT Laine chat, closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad