Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Elias Lindholm (6 years, $4.85m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary's got the benefit of paying Johnny Gaudreau one of the best dollar value contracts in the league; with Monahan closely behind.

If Brad Treliving has done anything amazingly, it's the management of his cap. He's never risked losing players, he lets guys walk who don't fit the structure (see Colborne) and gets young players signed long term. I also like the work Calgary does in terms of cap balance, I.E Vet contracts come off the books as we need to sign youth.

He's a magician in that sense.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I still don't think we can entirely write off Bennett yet. Also, you're totally ignoring the fact that this is an entirely new team for Lindholm

Yeah of course I'm ignoring that it's a new team. Because that is mitigated by him playing in the same system under the same coach he has for the majority of his career.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah of course I'm ignoring that it's a new team. Because that is mitigated by him playing in the same system under the same coach he has for the majority of his career.

So to get this straight, you don't think the players he's now playing with might impact his production? Only the system does?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So to get this straight, you don't think the players he's now playing with might impact his production? Only the system does?

Idk, I just think it's fools gold to pencil in a player for production he never reached in his previous five seasons.

Maybe a big jump from year 2 to 3. But not year 5 to 6.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a fantastic deal. I really like Lindholm, and think he will be a great fit in Calgary.

Guys who don't have that high-end talent to rely on, but are just solid players all-around tend to get better with age. I think of a fellow Swede in Alex Steen and what he's done for the Blues after being a 40-45 point guy for the Leafs.

Im still amazed the Flames were able to get Hanifin and Lindholm in one trade, and there's no doubt in my mind Peters had his say in it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I know math is hard, but Eichel scored 20 more points in 14 fewer games at two years younger. Were you just lying or are you too dumb to subtract 44 from 64?

I'm not disputing Eichel is a better player, but is he worth two of Lindholm? Eichel is injury prone on a ludacrious deal. He was only 12 points ahead of Lindholm in the 2016/2017 season too.

Reactions: Riptide

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Decent contract.

His agent used Horvat and Wennberg, two other guys from the same draft as likely contract comparables most likely.

Agreed with this.
Based on his potential usage with the flames, i feel the contract will be a bargain.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo this was the right deal. It's not a steal or a travesty.

Signing him too long would be a bit too risky, but he's also too established to go through the bridge deal dance with him.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not disputing Eichel is a better player, but is he worth two of Lindholm? Eichel is injury prone on a ludacrious deal. He was only 12 points ahead of Lindholm in the 2016/2017 season too.
Eichel has a much higher upside than Lindholm. I love Lindy, but lets get real. Eichel is closer to the top guys like Mackinnon than he is to Lindholm. Is eichel overpaid right now? Maybe, but he will absolutely live up to that contract..and that's the point of such a contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Because the fake over/under for non-elite players getting a good contract is $5 million.

This is a little true. If he had gotten 5.3 or something I would of been a little irked just because I don't see what he's done so far in his career to command that much. One thing I do like about this contract and this player is that apart from his scoring the rest of his game is already well rounded. Not a ton of shortcomings other than the middling production, and middling production on the Hurricanes shouldn't be discounted as nothing. If he can add another 10-15 pts, which is realistic for a player with his pedigree and his age, then this could be a very nice deal for the Flames.

Reactions: JT Kreider

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Lindholm's last four years:

39 pts
39 pts
45 pts
44 pts

54+% in the dot the last two years. Can play centre or wing, and you can use him 3v3.

All Lindholm has to do is be exactly who he has been for four years already and this is a fine deal. Frolik at $4.5 produces less. Brouwer at $4.25 produces way less. And neither are 23, and neither can play centre.

Unless he goes full Rene Bourque, the only way this is a bad deal for Calgary is if he's constantly injured. But he hasn't played less than 72 games since 2013-14.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Would have signed him to this contract easily from a Carolina POV. Even if he never surpasses the 50 point mark (which I think he'll do eventually especially if he plays with Gaudreau and Monahan), it is well worth it. If he takes the next step, it's a steal.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I like this deal for the Flames. Even if Lindy doesn't break out more it's still fair.

I've been a fan of his and although when we drafted him he was described as the next Forsberg I always thought he was a baby Backstrom. Likes to pass more than shoot. Has good vision and can set players up, not overly physical or fast but does the little things right. His shot is a muffin and he usually hits the goalie's crest or the post.

That said I don't get everyone thinking he will explode in Calgary. Aside from Gadreau their forward group doesn't seem much better than Carolinas? ....they actually managed to produce less offense last year. I hope he turns into a 20g 40a + player in Calgary....he never seemed to feel confident in Carolina hopefully he can find some swagger in Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad