Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Elias Lindholm (6 years, $4.85m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Nice contract, would have done that pretty easily for the Canes, although I'm higher on him than most

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Legit question without trying to start a big thing here.

Why was the JT Miller signing (5 years, $5.25M AAV, 25 years old, lowest scoring season was 43 points and has scored 50+ in 3 consecutive seasons) poopooed so heavily, while the consensus here seems to be very positive with people calling him a "solid 40-50 point player" "Good contract for a consistent 40-50 point player" and "Pretty reasonable for a mid 40s point scorer"

Is it because people think he will outplay his contract over the course? They sure seem very comparable to me but with Miller providing a bit more offense and perhaps Lindholm a bit more defense. like a 500k difference in contracts.

Just curious.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
he's already worth the 4.8 when you see that he's 4th in scoring from the 2013 draft. He also plays really good defence. Great contract because the upside can make this a definite bargain.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Why was the JT Miller signing (5 years, $5.25M AAV, 25 years old, lowest scoring season was 43 points and has scored 50+ in 3 consecutive seasons) poopooed so heavily, while the consensus here seems to be very positive with people calling him a "solid 40-50 point player" "Good contract for a consistent 40-50 point player" and "Pretty reasonable for a mid 40s point scorer"

Is it because people think he will outplay his contract over the course? They sure seem very comparable to me but with Miller providing a bit more offense and perhaps Lindholm a bit more defense. like a 500k difference in contracts.

Just curious.

Because the fake over/under for non-elite players getting a good contract is $5 million.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Why would he be a 50-60 point guy under the same coach he never scored 50-60 points ?

Because players usually improve as they get older and gain more experience? Just a guess. I mean the guy is only 23. Not to mention the fact that he'll have completely different linemates and teammates. Seems fairly obvious.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Just curious.

Oh no, JT Miller’s contract is a steal. I’m super jealous.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Just curious.

Don’t you know that contracts can only be massive overpayments or incredible steals? Get with the times

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Because players usually improve as they get older and gain more experience? Just a guess. I mean the guy is only 23. Not to mention the fact that he'll have completely different linemates and teammates. Seems fairly obvious.

Some do, some don't. For example Sam Bennett falls in the "some don't" category.

It's not a given. It's not fairly obvious.

I've been waiting on the 30 goal 65 point Chris Kreider breakout since the 2012 playoffs. Instead his numbers are all over the place and you never know what you're going to get.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems about right. Could be very good value for Lindholm as early as next season if he can jump his production over 55 pts. Feel like Tkachuk and Lindholm might make a really good pairing.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Some do, some don't. For example Sam Bennett falls in the "some don't" category.

I've been waiting on the 30 goal 65 point Chris Kreider breakout since the 2012 playoffs.

Fair enough. But I'd say that experience, maturity, teammates, etc. are bigger factors in a player's performance than the coach. Sure, he may never become a 60 point player, but it also seems silly to assume he will never be better than he is now. Most 23 year olds do improve.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I wouldn't.
Neal and Monahan are both finishers. I would guess they will be seperated.

Maybe, Monahan has become more well balanced though so I think it would work. Plus, Neal adds a physical dynamic to that top line that Lindholm doesn't have. Guess we'll see.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Solid versatile 40-50 point player locked through his prime for 4.85M, that's not bad. Not a great contract by any means, but fair.
AAV seems pretty fair looking at comparable contracts, and that's assuming he doesn't improve. What makes it a good deal for Calgary is the 6th year (Reportadly asking for 5x5 in Carolina) and that it comes with no NMC or NTC

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I've been waiting on the 30 goal 65 point Chris Kreider breakout since the 2012 playoffs. Instead his numbers are all over the place and you never know what you're going to get.

I still don't think we can entirely write off Bennett yet. Also, you're totally ignoring the fact that this is an entirely new team for Lindholm

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Fair enough. But I'd say that experience, maturity, teammates, etc. are bigger factors in a player's performance than the coach. Sure, he may never become a 60 point player, but it also seems silly to assume he will never be better than he is now. Most 23 year olds do improve.

It better be this season, if it's ever going to happen. 24-25 is my cut off where you are what you are and there is not much untapped offensive potential.

And to be unbiased Zibanejad is included in that. If it doesn't happen this year for him than I don't think it ever will.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

He should be able to improve if he’s playing with Monahan and Gaudreau

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Other than Gaudreau, Aho is just as good/better than anyone else there

My point was that there are a lot more options for developing chemistry in Calgary.

In addition to those players I mentioned, you could almost throw Bennett & Jankowski in there. If a line of Bennett-Jankowski-Lindholm were to click as an offensive line, the Flames would be a very dangerous team.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad