Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Derek Ryan signs with the Flames (3 years, $3.125M AAV)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Seemed like a bad signing at the time... Haven't you been wrong about something? Or are you just a ****ing genius all the time?

Did it though? I mean in his two seasons with Carolina he scored at 15 goal 37 point pace which is pretty solid value for a guy making 3.125m. Some comparables are Riley Nash, Matt Calvert, Michael Raffl and Jay Beagle and Ryan ended up outproducing all of them,

Reactions: Steeler23

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Did it though? I mean in his two seasons with Carolina he scored at 15 goal 37 point pace which is pretty solid value for a guy making 3.125m. Some comparables are Riley Nash, Matt Calvert, Michael Raffl and Jay Beagle and Ryan ended up outproducing all of them,
He did play a lot with top 6 quality wingers in Carolina. Guys like Skinner that he wouldn't have in Calgary.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He did play a lot with top 6 quality wingers in Carolina. Guys like Skinner that he wouldn't have in Calgary.

True, though 3.125m is kind of 3rd/4th line tweener money (especially for a centre) with the cap it is where it is.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway line has the best GF% of any line to play 200 minutes together this season and the fifth best xGF%. They're absurd. Tampa's Killorn-Cirelli-Miller line has been up there too.

Reactions: JFHockey

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This guy is centering one of the best '4th lines' in hockey.
I liked this signing from day 1, makes me happy.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Seemed like a bad signing at the time... Haven't you been wrong about something? Or are you just a ****ing genius all the time?

EAT CROW.

Just kidding, we’ve all been wrong at one point, I don’t know why people think it’s great to quote someone from long ago just to tell them they’re wrong. I think it’s a tad childish but that’s just me.

Ryan has been utilized in the best way, so that explains the very successful year he has had. Wouldn’t be shocked if this was his career year with the Flames, but also wouldn’t be shocked if he continued to improve. The dude is a beast.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
After a bit of a slow start Ryan has been really really good. Can see why Peters likes him. Very smart player who makes almost no mistakes and always has the puck going the right way. Seen some nice development in both Mangiapane and Hathaway's games and I think DR has played a big part in that. He is everything Stajan should of been but wasn't. I believe his line still hasn't given up an even strength goal since the All Star break.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I know I say this a lot.

But how the hell are Oilers fans still so brave to post **** like this LOL.
Edmonton would kill for this player. They don't have much for good contracts on that team. Klefbom is ok, Chiasson but that will go up and doesn't count. The rest are on par or way too much (Koskinen, Lucic)

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Treliving was on the radio (FAN960) yesterday talking very openly, especially for Treliving. He talked about the price (asking) for top players at the deadline, he talked that for over two years he was trying to land Lindholm and Ryan. 55 minutes of great Flames and hockey conversation.

On a side note, there was a lot of rumours over the year that this wasn't the trade that most flames insiders thought. Apparently there was a trade, allegedly with St. Louis that fell apart last minute and the Flames pulled the Carolina trade off instead. Does anyone have details about it? The guys on FAN960 were talking about it at the trade deadline but couldn't talk about the pieces involved because it was all of the record.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Treliving was on the radio (FAN960) yesterday talking very openly, especially for Treliving. He talked about the price (asking) for top players at the deadline, he talked that for over two years he was trying to land Lindholm and Ryan. 55 minutes of great Flames and hockey conversation.

On a side note, there was a lot of rumours over the year that this wasn't the trade that most flames insiders thought. Apparently there was a trade, allegedly with St. Louis that fell apart last minute and the Flames pulled the Carolina trade off instead. Does anyone have details about it? The guys on FAN960 were talking about it at the trade deadline but couldn't talk about the pieces involved because it was all of the record.

Only thing I can think of is Hamilton for Schenn

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think a lot of people (myself included) are still really struggling to come to terms with the new salary levels overall.

Ryan isn't just an average bottom sixer though. He's driving a line by himself. 37 points is very solid, considering his ice time.

Not all tweeners are equal. Some leach points off better players, and other crate opportunities. Ryan is definitely in the latter category.

Reactions: tmurfin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To be fair, I didn't love this signing at the time either and loved the Czarnik signing. Just shows how easy it is to get it wrong.

Total HF mentality. It happens all the time here to be fair.

Player 1: Total professional. Long road to the NHL. Back to back solid seasons, 35-40 pace player. Utility player, can be used on PP/PK. One of the best in the league on the dot.
HF: Bleh. OVERPAID!!!! LOL

Player 2: Needs his 'big break'. Has shown that in lower levels of competition he can be a scorer. In limited NHL time, his production/60 is quite good all things considered.
HF: OHHHH baby! This one could be huge.

This board LOVES potential.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Not gonna lie, I wasn’t impressed with the signing. I didn’t know much about him but was sure he’d be a no impact player.

Boy was I wrong. iMo he’s been the second most important player that came over this summer.

He is very reliable out there. He may not put up crazy numbers but he’s very solid.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Derek Ryan is like Frolik if Frolik was a centre. That's my best comparable.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ryan is a coaches dream. He's got underrated playmaking skills, he works hard, he's smart and makes good decisions with the puck. Peters loves the guy, which sometimes can lead to Peters putting him in line-up spots above where he should be placed, but all coaches have guys like that. Guys they know won't hurt them if they are put in that spot. Coaches know what they are going to get from guys like that night in and night out.

He's not overly strong and isn't a great skater (he's not a bad skater, just not overly good either), but if he gets some time and space, he can make plays.

Once Peters left Carolina, it was a pretty good bet that Ryan would follow him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's not overly strong and isn't a great skater (he's not a bad skater, just not overly good either), but if he gets some time and space, he can make plays.

I think he's a strong skater. Many of his points this season have come from nice edgework or fancy puck rushing. His insane shot suppression ability is also thanks to his ability to cover the defensive zone with his skating and still recover.

No, he's not going to be talked about the way guys like Byron, MacKinnon, Point, Larkin, or McDavid are, but he's a very good skater.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think he's a strong skater. Many of his points this season have come from nice edgework or fancy puck rushing. His insane shot suppression ability is also thanks to his ability to cover the defensive zone with his skating and still recover.

No, he's not going to be talked about the way guys like Byron, MacKinnon, Point, Larkin, or McDavid are, but he's a very good skater.

I disagree. He's an OK skater but he's damn smart so he makes up for it by being efficient. The guy knows how to play, where to be, and makes the most of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad