Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Derek Ryan signs with the Flames (3 years, $3.125M AAV)

PerimeterPlier

Mar 8, 2019
Ryan was the whipping boy for many Canes fans for some reason, possibly cause Peters liked to overslot him, but it wasnt like the Canes were loaded with game solvers last year anyway. Thought he was a decent depth guy, right handed center, among league leaders on faceoffs for couple of years in a row now, is mediocre at everything else. You know what you get with him, and it's serviceable 2-way play night in and out. Actually missed seeing him go cause it left the Canes pretty much without any right-handers and very shallow on center. Glad to see him do well.

Also seems like a pleasant person and a pretty good interview.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Canes fans were ridiculous about Ryan. He was always good, he was a valuable player. Canes fans pick whipping boys every year, and they take their frustrations out on them when we suck as a team.

He’s a solid player and deserved to sign with a good team. I don’t think the Canes gained by losing him. They replaced him with Wallmark but I don’t know that I would value one player over the other. Moving Ryan out wasn’t one of the moves that moved the Canes forward imo.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
On after hours last night he talked about how his 5 year old told him the Playoffs are gonna be tough. Guys a mensch. He can retire a Flame. I like the guy.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I don't think he quite the overuse he did in Carolina with the Flames, but if he takes away ice-time from Bennett and Janko, holy **** I'll be pissed off.

And now I kind of wish he did take more of Janko's 5v5 ice-time. He might have actually hit 40 points then.

Canes fans pick whipping boys every year, and they take their frustrations out on them when we suck as a team.
Every team has whipping boys. Last year ours was Brouwer. This year it was Mike Smith for Flames fans. It's weird how even on good seasons teams have that one guy the fans rip on.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad