Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Derek Ryan signs with the Flames (3 years, $3.125M AAV)

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Flames fans, what does this mean for Jankowski, Lindholm, and Bennett? Seems like the Flames are overloaded at C with Monahan, Backlund, and Ryan down the middle.
I expect this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Ryan
______ - Czarnik - Brouwer
x: Lazar, Hathaway

Reactions: skallin

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Holy Overpay. Please, everyone keep handing out these huge contracts to bottom 6ers. Next one for Calgary is 6x6 for Maroon. Get er done.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The doctor is in. And will be in for the next 3 years.

Strikes me more as two keep your head above water moves opposed to actually substantially improving your hockey team moves. At the very least it should be an upgrade on Garnett Hathaway, who should never of been in a top 9 role.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
This is so cool. I loved him when he played in the Austrian league altough he played for the big rival. Great too see player getting rewarded for hard work even when their path is different.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Terrible signing. He’s not worth close to that. Flames just got rid of Stajan and his overpriced contract only to replace it with another one.

Reactions: Gaudfather

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Terrible signing. He’s not worth close to that. Flames just got rid of Stajan and his overpriced contract only to replace it with another one.

With the cap at almost $80 million, $3 million is peanuts for a UFA. You won’t see a many UFAs going for less than that these days.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Derek Ryan is being underrated here . He will be a great add for Flames just wait and see.

Can a Flames fan post their lineup please

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Ryan?
Brouwer - Lazar - Czarnik

Gio - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak/Valamaki - Stone/Andersson

Smith
Gillies

I think there’s obvious room to add a scoring winger and bump Ryan to centre line 4 and Lazar to be a 13th forward rotating with Czarnik

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Derek Ryan is being underrated here . He will be a great add for Flames just wait and see.

Can a Flames fan post their lineup please

Would hope for this next year:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan
Mangiapanie-Czarnik-Brouwer
Lazar

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Knowing Peters, I think it'll be more like this

Gaudreau Ryan Tkachuk
Bennett Monahan Jankowski
Lindholm Backlund Brouwer
Frolik Quine Czarnik

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The doctor is in. And will be in for the next 3 years.

Strikes me more as two keep your head above water moves opposed to actually substantially improving your hockey team moves. At the very least it should be an upgrade on Garnett Hathaway, who should never of been in a top 9 role.

This rings quite true to me.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I don't know why people aren't happier with the Ryan. Guy has Backlund level shot suppression numbers, put up 38 pts last year and is a small fraction od the current cap.

Reactions: No Draft

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't know why people aren't happier with the Ryan. Guy has Backlund level shot suppression numbers, put up 38 pts last year and is a small fraction od the current cap.

Because Peter's played aho and lindholm on the first line wings instead of 3c.

This has made some people convinced he was overplayed and his success was from coaches favoritism

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Exvept he only played 15% of his time with Aho.

I'd be more concerned about Skinner being the driver and Ryan benefiting from that, but I don't think Ryan was signed to drive.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Bump. Ryan has been absolutely huge for us this season. Worth every penny.

Despite all the warnings, he's played almost exclusively in the bottom six and getting defensive zone starts far more than he did in Carolina. Also nearly two minutes less a game on average and he's only 1 point back on last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->