Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Derek Ryan signs with the Flames (3 years, $3.125M AAV)

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
He won't be replacing Backlund or Monahan, so I'm not too concerned in that regard. If he can put up 30-35 points in our bottom 6, I'm ok with around 2.5 million. 3 million + is an overpay no matter how you look at it.

Can't be worst than Stajan LOL. Yes he may be good in the locker room but was he 3.5 mil good? Im going to go with no...

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
At least Calgary recognized how brutal their bottom 6 was last year and made it a priority

Reactions: mcpw

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Can't be worst than Stajan LOL. Yes he may be good in the locker room but was he 3.5 mil good? Im going to go with no...

No, he wasn't. I'm sure Stajan is as nice guy and all and maybe did have some "veteran" leadership, but he absolutely fleeced the team. I wish him the best with the $$$ he got, but the guy is probably done in the NHL.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Good player. Gotta overpay for a UFA, or so they say, in Calgary.

Everywhere actually. This will be one of the better overpays I bet.

Reactions: CF84

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lmfao.

Calgary hurricanes
3 players and a coach hardly are a big deal.

20 teams? Bull****
I don't doubt it, he was top 10 in FO% and put up close to 40 points. Teams are going to inquire.

20 teams? In what kind of world are we living in?
One where anyone with the ability of rational thought knows RH centers that win alot of draws and put up 35+ points aren't all that common.

How many Sam Bennett clones to the flames need?
He's nothing like Bennett. But please continue your trend of clueless posts on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CF84 and skallin

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I really wanted Czarnik to stay with Boston, kid has a motor and can put up points. He is small but never got a fair shake at Boston. I wanted him in the playoffs over most of the duds they tried in the bottom 6. He was great in the AHL and can be a good checker with speed on the 3rd or 4th line that can produce.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have no issues with Ryan as a player, but anything over 2 million is a huge overpayment. I don’t like this at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no issues with Ryan as a player, but anything over 2 million is a huge overpayment. I don’t like this at all.
I guess it depends how you define huge over payment. I think 2x2 is fair, anything more is definitely an overpayment. But even if he gets a 3.25 AAV, is the extra 1.25 really that "huge"? Based on the percentage of his contract, sure, but in the grand scheme overpaying a UFA by 1.25 on a short term deal is not really a huge overpayment.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Ryan contract is pretty solid to me. Maybe a little over what I expected but hardly anything that kills you.

Czarnik has some value to it and could have some decent upside if he gets minutes.

They add good depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad