Celtics/NBA Celtics trade Grant Williams for draft picks as part of three-team deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He can "make a lot", that's true...

But Boston can pay him about 80 million more than any other team.

80 million.

He definitely dislikes Boston, he has made that quite clear, but I doubt it's 80 million dollars worth of hate.
Difference is less when factoring in cost of living and taxes.

He also really hasn’t made that quite clear unless you’re seeing what you want to see. I see a guy frustrated with trade rumors who wants to get paid. He wouldn’t defend the city or help improve the city if he truly despised it. But I’m done arguing this with people, it’s going around in circles and quite frankly the definition of insanity is trying to do the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result. Clearly I’m not gonna get one, people are gonna believe what they want.

They can offer him the supermax. I’d bet he’d stay here on a regular max if it came to it. The worst thing he said was that the Celtics have a small, very toxic part of the fan base. That’s a f***in fact my dudes and if you guys want to pretend that means he hates the city of Boston then knock yourselves out

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I guess we'll have to wait for Jaylen to specifically say "I hate Boston".

With that said, I haven't seen anything that would suggest he'll turn down a supermax deal here or that he'll ask for a trade. If the Celtics offer him the supermax he'll be here. All this other stuff doesn't really matter. Coming up small in the playoffs will though.

Reactions: Gordoff

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I have not heard or read any response from Jaylen Brown to the trade of Smart. Has there been one? Thanks

There was a comment on Social Media from Jason Tatum. It was not a public (talk show) comment. I have included one thought and concern about Jason's comment.

As fans we can't do anything about how the team treats its players other than not watch the team and buy their merchandise, that is an individual choice.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Why would he want to be here when the team, media, and fans have constantly been trying to move him out of town for years? Loyalty is a two way street and these players hear everything said. The Durant rumors all last off season could have easily been put to rest by the team making a statement that they're not moving Brown, but they didn't for months.
Fans want him out based on his performance on the court.

Reactions: Gordoff

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
He can make a lot of money anywhere if he truly despised being here.

I think he dislikes media more than he dislikes Boston.
Jaylen Brown creates the media with his performance on the court and what he says when he opens his mouth. This is true for every player in every sport. Fans want winning teams.

Reactions: Mione134

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I don't know about this. The true PG is almost obsolete now. Tatum has the ball in his hands the most. Smart has deficiencies but if we look for a reason why the Celtics lost to GS it's because of Tatum. And Brown killed them against Miami.
I'm not blaming Smart for GS or any loss in particular but this has been an ongoing theme with the Celtics for a long time. It takes them forever to get the offense set up and when teams actually dig in at the end of games they are able to distrupt the offense. I don't want Tatum or Brown setting up the offense. That should be the PG and when the PG can't shoot, that makes everyone's job harder because they help off Smart

Reactions: quietbruinfan

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Bob Cousy gets it

“I liked Smart,” Cousy told The Boston Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy. “I didn’t like some of the things he did. He thought he was a point guard when he was not. His mind was more to create opportunities for himself. In my judgment, point guards have to come across midcourt thinking, ‘How am I going to set one of the other guys up?’ That was never his thing. You would think he would wake up one morning and say, ‘I wonder why I’m always open at crucial times?'”

Reactions: quietbruinfan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If they can teach him to shoot like they’ve done so many others then he’ll be a valuable 3 and D wing at the least

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Now that I am over the shock of the trade of Marcus Smart, I must re-evaluate my thoughts about the Celtics. BTW I was initially pissed when the transaction happened because I wanted Brodgon in the trade. I have posted various extraneous thoughts that were my pissed-off reaction to the trade.

I had been saying all during the regular season that the Celtics needed another Tall guy.

They got one by trading Smart.
The Tall guy I wanted would start at least 70-75 games a season without significant injury.

Porzingis has missed 95 games over the past four seasons, on average about 24 a season. That means he played 58 games,
that for me is a shortfall.

Potzingis probably should start with either Horford or RW III. The problem the Celtics will have is Horford is on his last legs and must be rested more than last season. RW III is always a question mark because of injuries. So we will not have a perfect situation of two Talls per game. With Smart gone, we need more defense. Last season we demonstrated the Team needed to play more defense. White will take over for Smart but is not as aggressive as Smart on defense. Smart was a bully on defense. So the Talls have to pick up the shortage on defense, and with their lack of 100% availability, we will not have the perfect situation that should be played if the strategy is to have 50% offense and 50% defense played per game. That is just my thought.

Brodgon must be pissed to know they wanted to trade him. It is not a healthy situation, regardless of the words spoken today to him and the public.

Pritchard has just been screwed over unless he is traded.

Grant Williams, the Celtics can't afford him.

I look forward to more trade

Reactions: Mione134

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Now that I am over the shock of the trade of Marcus Smart, I must re-evaluate my thoughts about the Celtics. BTW I was initially pissed when the transaction happened because I wanted Brodgon in the trade. I have posted various extraneous thoughts that were my pissed-off reaction to the trade.

I had been saying all during the regular season that the Celtics needed another Tall guy.

They got one by trading Smart.
The Tall guy I wanted would start at least 70-75 games a season without significant injury.

Porzingis has missed 95 games over the past four seasons, on average about 24 a season. That means he played 58 games,
that for me is a shortfall.

Potzingis probably should start with either Horford or RW III. The problem the Celtics will have is Horford is on his last legs and must be rested more than last season. RW III is always a question mark because of injuries. So we will not have a perfect situation of two Talls per game. With Smart gone, we need more defense. Last season we demonstrated the Team needed to play more defense. White will take over for Smart but is not as aggressive as Smart on defense. Smart was a bully on defense. So the Talls have to pick up the shortage on defense, and with their lack of 100% availability, we will not have the perfect situation that should be played if the strategy is to have 50% offense and 50% defense played per game. That is just my thought.

Brodgon must be pissed to know they wanted to trade him. It is not a healthy situation, regardless of the words spoken today to him and the public.

Pritchard has just been screwed over unless he is traded.

Grant Williams, the Celtics can't afford him.

I look forward to more trade

Pritchard has been "screwed over" ?

With Smart being dealt he has moved up a spot in the rotation, and is now the #3 guard, with #2 being a guy with a bad injury track record, and questions about his availability this year. Now maybe he gets beat out by Davidson, which is what I would hope for, as I think PP is a serviceable deep bench player, but not good enough to play a key role on a contending team

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

With Smart being dealt he has moved up a spot in the rotation, and is now the #3 guard, with #2 being a guy with a bad injury track record, and questions about his availability this year. Now maybe he gets beat out by Davidson, which is what I would hope for, as I think PP is a serviceable deep bench player, but not good enough to play a key role on a contending team
I have a strong suspicion Madar is better than Davidson, but doubt he is a starting pg fwiw. I would move Pritchard. He did not adapt to his roles.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I have a strong suspicion Madar is better than Davidson, but doubt he is a starting pg fwiw. I would move Pritchard. He did not adapt to his roles.
FWIW Madar and the other guy overseas who's name escapes me right now aren't coming over this summer for summer league. They're staying at their clubs

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
In case you were wondering - Dennis Rodman is still a f*cking idiot. :shakehead

from usatoday.com:

Dennis Rodman's latest hot take is another jab toward Boston Celtics legend Larry Bird.

During a recent episode of VladTV, DJ Vlad asked Rodman about his thoughts on Gilbert Arenas' comments that Bird would beat NBA's all-time scoring champion LeBron James in a one-on-one matchup.

The Worm vehemently disagreed with the three-time All-Star's claims and said that Bird, a Hall of Famer, wouldn't even have a job in the NBA if he played today.

"If Larry Bird played in this era, I think he'd be in Europe," he said. "He'd be somewhere over there. His game was fit for Boston at that time in the '80s and stuff like that. Today's world, oh hell no. There's no way. I'm not downplaying him 'cause he's a great player at that time, just like I was. But I'm saying, no, there's no way."

The Hall of Famer and five-time NBA champion said that a better comparison might be Finals MVP Nikola Jokic, who led the Denver Nuggets to their first NBA championship this season. But Rodman said even then, the modern era stands to be more elite than the one where Bird won three titles in five Finals appearances and was Finals MVP twice.

"I think the kid from Denver is way better than (Bird)," Rodman said. "Oh my God, he's slow as hell. He plays slow, but that guy got a game. I think he's better than Larry Bird. In this day and age, yeah. I'm saying he can shoot that three like woosh, my God. So, wow. Compare him to Larry Bird, I think people would pick him."

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
In case you were wondering - Dennis Rodman is still a f*cking idiot. :shakehead

from usatoday.com:

Dennis Rodman's latest hot take is another jab toward Boston Celtics legend Larry Bird.

During a recent episode of VladTV, DJ Vlad asked Rodman about his thoughts on Gilbert Arenas' comments that Bird would beat NBA's all-time scoring champion LeBron James in a one-on-one matchup.

The Worm vehemently disagreed with the three-time All-Star's claims and said that Bird, a Hall of Famer, wouldn't even have a job in the NBA if he played today.

"If Larry Bird played in this era, I think he'd be in Europe," he said. "He'd be somewhere over there. His game was fit for Boston at that time in the '80s and stuff like that. Today's world, oh hell no. There's no way. I'm not downplaying him 'cause he's a great player at that time, just like I was. But I'm saying, no, there's no way."

The Hall of Famer and five-time NBA champion said that a better comparison might be Finals MVP Nikola Jokic, who led the Denver Nuggets to their first NBA championship this season. But Rodman said even then, the modern era stands to be more elite than the one where Bird won three titles in five Finals appearances and was Finals MVP twice.

"I think the kid from Denver is way better than (Bird)," Rodman said. "Oh my God, he's slow as hell. He plays slow, but that guy got a game. I think he's better than Larry Bird. In this day and age, yeah. I'm saying he can shoot that three like woosh, my God. So, wow. Compare him to Larry Bird, I think people would pick him."

If Bird is in Europe, then Rodman is working at Walmart.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hell - I'd move back to Montreal or to Toronto for a lot less. :laugh:

If forced to live in Montreal I'd use the $80 million to buy buildings and put the Spoked-B over all of them.
As someone who liked to wear my Bruins garb in Montreal just to hear the not-so polite comments ( in 2 languages no less ) I can tell you that if you did that it would not only be just the pigeons leaving crap on those buildings. :nod:

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

He needs a trade to make any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad