Celtics/NBA Celtics trade Grant Williams for draft picks as part of three-team deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't want to hear about shooting in a Marcus Smart debate. 38% career from the field. One of the worst in NBA history. Teams constantly helped off of Smart because he can't hit the backboard. 100% made things more difficult for Tatum and Brown at times.

how about turnovers then. when Tatum sets record turnover numbers is that Smarts fault too? Smart may be gone but I don't see that weak pass the buck mentality getting near a title anytime soon

Last edited:
Reactions: Mione134

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree with the part that says, "This forces Tatum and Brown to step up" I think they might for a short while, but their egos will force them to revert back and maybe worse than they were. If a championship or a chance to make the finals again wasn't enough for them to step up, why would this?
I think they failed to step up in the past because of Smart and his ego. He stepped into the leadership void after Kyrie left, and Brown and Tatum were both too young to tell him to shut the f*** up. Now he's gone, so they can assume the mantle of leaders without any push back. How it goes will show us what their legacies will ultimately be. I know Brown in particular had a lot of issues with Smart over the years.

Reactions: lopey and lextune

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think they failed to step up in the past because of Smart and his ego. He stepped into the leadership void after Kyrie left, and Brown and Tatum were both too young to tell him to shut the f*** up. Now he's gone, so they can assume the mantle of leaders without any push back. How it goes will show us what their legacies will ultimately be. I know Brown in particular had a lot of issues with Smart over the years.

if tatum is that weak no way he fills the void. someone else will have to. weak will always be weak

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Two people with their egos can't be the leader of a team, they will bump heads trying to show who is the better leader. Besides they need to score points. I don't think it will work. I hope it does. I think the Celtics need more moves.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Screenshot_20230623_174510_Twitter.jpg

I can guarantee Tatum or Brown wouldn't have a post like this.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Both CBS Sports and ESPN liked the Celtics draft moves. :thumbu:

from cbssports.com:

38. Jordan Walsh, SF, Arkansas (via Kings)

Brad Stevens was a busy man on draft night, extracting future value by essentially turning the No. 25 pick in this year's draft into Jordan Walsh and four (!) future second-rounders via a flurry of trades. That's good work. Walsh could have been a first-rounder in 2024 had he returned to college, so while the returns may not be immediate for Boston, Stevens did a nice job of restocking the coffers for the road ahead. Grade: A (Boone)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

38. Boston Celtics (via Sacramento): SF Jordan Walsh, Arkansas

One scout I talked with at the NBA Draft Combine suggested Walsh could be a first-round pick if he returned to school, so Boston snagging him at No. 38 in this year's draft could wind up being a nice long-term investment. He came on late in the season for Arkansas and has the physical tools and smarts to be a jumbo wing who can be a 3-and-D type weapon. Grade: B ( Finkelstein )

from espn.com:

Boston Celtics: B+​

Round 1: None
Round 2: Jordan Walsh (No. 38)

A flow chart is necessary to trace the Celtics' series of four trades down from the 25th pick, acquired from the Grizzlies in Wednesday's three-team trade that landed Kristaps Porzingis in Boston, to ultimately taking Walsh 38th and adding future second-rounders from three different teams (Atlanta, Detroit and Sacramento).

Those picks could help the Celtics as sweeteners in future trades, while I like the value for Walsh, who ranked 22nd in my stats-based projections.

Reactions: lopey and CDJ

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Both CBS Sports and ESPN liked the Celtics draft moves. :thumbu:

from cbssports.com:

38. Jordan Walsh, SF, Arkansas (via Kings)

Brad Stevens was a busy man on draft night, extracting future value by essentially turning the No. 25 pick in this year's draft into Jordan Walsh and four (!) future second-rounders via a flurry of trades. That's good work. Walsh could have been a first-rounder in 2024 had he returned to college, so while the returns may not be immediate for Boston, Stevens did a nice job of restocking the coffers for the road ahead. Grade: A (Boone)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

38. Boston Celtics (via Sacramento): SF Jordan Walsh, Arkansas

One scout I talked with at the NBA Draft Combine suggested Walsh could be a first-round pick if he returned to school, so Boston snagging him at No. 38 in this year's draft could wind up being a nice long-term investment. He came on late in the season for Arkansas and has the physical tools and smarts to be a jumbo wing who can be a 3-and-D type weapon. Grade: B ( Finkelstein )

from espn.com:

Boston Celtics: B+​

Round 1: None
Round 2: Jordan Walsh (No. 38)

A flow chart is necessary to trace the Celtics' series of four trades down from the 25th pick, acquired from the Grizzlies in Wednesday's three-team trade that landed Kristaps Porzingis in Boston, to ultimately taking Walsh 38th and adding future second-rounders from three different teams (Atlanta, Detroit and Sacramento).

Those picks could help the Celtics as sweeteners in future trades, while I like the value for Walsh, who ranked 22nd in my stats-based projections.
It seems like the most of the mission was to get into a position to not be violating future Cap rules. In that case, Stevens did a decent job.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Their inability to run an effective offense during crunch time for years now, falls directly on Marcus Smart as the PG. There's no fall guy, only reality
I don't know about this. The true PG is almost obsolete now. Tatum has the ball in his hands the most. Smart has deficiencies but if we look for a reason why the Celtics lost to GS it's because of Tatum. And Brown killed them against Miami.

• Love
Reactions: Maine Fan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
View attachment 720578

I can guarantee Tatum or Brown wouldn't have a post like this.

Brown hates Boston. He's Kyrie's protégé. The things he approves from Kyrie or co-signs is evident on twitter and his silence this year and things he posted will never be okay with me.

Tatum is a good kid. But he's hasnt embraced Boston like Marcus. He's from St Louis and I get it. But damn, you've been here for awhile now. Rep Boston. Rep the city. He's just here to play basketball. Make money and thats it.

And I get that for some players that's all they want. But he's our generational franchise player. And he's just meh about everything here is sad. There's a reason why Paul Pierce still comes back here and is still all in on Boston.

You think Tatum is still visiting Boston if he ever leaves or retires? I doubt it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Brown hates Boston. He's Kyrie's protégé. The things he approves from Kyrie or co-signs is evident on twitter and his silence this year and things he posted will never be okay with me.

Tatum is a good kid. But he's hasnt embraced Boston like Marcus. He's from St Louis and I get it. But damn, you've been here for awhile now. Rep Boston. Rep the city. He's just here to play basketball. Make money and thats it.

And I get that for some players that's all they want. But he's our generational franchise player. And he's just meh about everything here is sad. There's a reason why Paul Pierce still comes back here and is still all in on Boston.

You think Tatum is still visiting Boston if he ever leaves or retires? I doubt it.
I feel like you’re doing an awful lot of projecting. If you don’t care for the guy that’s fine but this is a bit over the top.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I feel like you’re doing an awful lot of projecting. If you don’t care for the guy that’s fine but this is a bit over the top.

It's not projecting when it's the truth. Jaylen Brown does not like Boston. It's a fact. He gets pissy online when people on twitter say he should be traded. He's so up Kyrie's ass that he can't find a way out. Not to mention the Kanye thing.

He's a smart guy who thinks he's smarter than everyone else. My final straw with him was essentially supporting the black israelites which is a hate group who marched outside of the Nets game. If you want a refresher on what those people believe, google is your friend. Kyrie endorsed them btw.

Not a good look by him and he chuffed it up to not knowing about them. He pretended to confuse them with his college fraternity Omega Psi Phi which is a lie. He was converted by Kyrie and is friends with Farrakhan. He knows exactly what that hate group stands for. That's when he lost me as a fan.

I can appreciate his skills on the court. But he can't hold onto the ball in the playoffs. He'll get his money this year. But I can guarantee, he'll request a trade in a year or 2. He's not a Celtic lifer. To me? Knowing a person's character is important to me as a fan. I don't really care what personal beliefs people have. I don't. But when it comes to things like supporting a hate group AND you can't hold onto the damn basketball? I'm gonna have some thoughts. That's all.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Source?

Also you realize Marcus smart talked about some of the racism he experienced in Boston as well, right?

Yes of course. He experienced an incident right outside the garden he tried helping someone and a woman if I recall, called him the N word. She had no idea who he was. He also mentioned a few things. But in general he's been very favorable to the city and the fans.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
@CDJ one of the many Celtics threads we had on here brought up the entirety of the subject at hand thos past March. You can go find the thread. Lots of discussions were had. I thought pretty good conversations, imo.

It mostly had to do with this article.

Then he tried to play it off. Then he tried to clarify.

Screenshot_20230624_004718_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20230624_003908_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230624_003931_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230624_003947_Chrome.jpg

It was a mess for a hot minute. Then he stopped talking. The concensus was he was just pissy about seeing tweets about him not playing well and to trade him. He mentioned racism then doubled own and didn't say anything to divulge more. It was strange.

Either way. He's not a Celtics lifer like Smart was. The was the main argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad