CDSF: (1) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild - Part II (Series 3-2 MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I don't know what Ken Hitchcock is thinking, but if he is thinking of keeping experienced scorer Olli Jokinen benched he is thinking of defeat! This series is approaching crucial times, so the best players should be playing. If Minnesota plays certified playoff warrior Sean Warrior they are going to win over benched good guy Olli Jokinen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A year or two ago, the arrival of Tarasenko was supposed to elevate the Blues from their playoffs woes and to the next level. Fast forward to now and Tarasenko is the only one doing the scoring. Instead of adding to their previous level of playoff scoring, he's replaced it and everyone else has become even more of no-shows. It's like one step forward, one step back.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I don't know what Ken Hitchcock is thinking, but if he is thinking of keeping experienced scorer Olli Jokinen benched he is thinking of defeat! This series is approaching crucial times, so the best players should be playing. If Minnesota plays certified playoff warrior Sean Warrior they are going to win over benched good guy Olli Jokinen.

Who is Sean Warrior??

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
FANTASTIC game by the Wild! They surprised me because like many others I thought the Blues had the advantage after game 4.

I'm sure the Wild will be POSSESSED tomorrow to win and close out the Blues because they don't want to go back to St.Louis and risk a game 7 where anything can happen!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
For parts of the game, we got outplayed like crazy. We for sure stole this game

The Wild did not steal this game at all. This is what happens when a team doesn't lose its cool and get aggressive on scoring in order to win. Look at Chicago when they got beat earlier in their series by Nashville. They stopped playing defense so they could score goals down by 2 and then the floodgates opened up. Simply put, the Wild continued to play their style of game instead of allowing the Blues to dictate how it would be played.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The Wild did not steal this game at all. This is what happens when a team doesn't lose its cool and get aggressive on scoring in order to win. Look at Chicago when they got beat earlier in their series by Nashville. They stopped playing defense so they could score goals down by 2 and then the floodgates opened up. Simply put, the Wild continued to play their style of game instead of allowing the Blues to dictate how it would be played.

Maybe not "steal" it necessarily, but I think we were outplayed for prolonged stretches; most of the 1st and 3rd periods.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
For parts of the game, we got outplayed like crazy. We for sure stole this game

Games are rarely a back and forth event, it's normal for one team to dominate for a period of time only to have the other team grab the momentum a few times over the course of a game. The first half of the 1st the Blues looked like game 4 all over, but the second half the Wild moved much of the play into the offensive end. The Wild were the better team in the 2nd, and not just because they scored. The Blues were better in the 3rd, but with a two goal lead Yeo did what Yeo does, sits back and plays prevent defense so almost by default the 3rd goes to the Blues. Edit: Not suggesting the Blues weren't great in the 3rd, only that the Wild made no real attempt to play five man hockey in the Blues zone, they were content to sit on a two goal lead.

The Wild were on the road against a great hockey team, it's ridiculous to expect much better then we got last night. That was a winning road performance, end of story.

Last edited:

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I am not saying I am disappointed with how the game turned out, heck, anything is lightyears better than what happened in Game 4.

However, I get there are continual momentum changes in playoff games, and you can feel it in your chest all the time. But, to be outshot like we were in the first and attacked heavily at times where Dubs made the stupid crazy save with his leg, St. Louis definitely had the better of opportunities at times. So in a way, that's why I feel like we stole it. Was a good road game, but we could have easily dropped it if not for Dubs playing rock solid.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I honestly did not expect the blues to be in this situation. They are a fantastic team. You blues fans should not be too hard on your team. They are playing a very capable team in the wild. Alot of Speed, skill, heart and grit on that team. Although the Blues are considered the favorites in this series, it just goes to show that anything can happen in the playoffs. Not over until its over, (as you can see with MTL/OTT). My being a slight blues homer, i'm going to say blues in 7. But if not, respect your defeat and realize that you got beat (Hopefully not) by a good and motivated wild team. Lets go blues!

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I honestly did not expect the blues to be in this situation. They are a fantastic team. You blues fans should not be too hard on your team. They are playing a very capable team in the wild. Alot of Speed, skill, heart and grit on that team. Although the Blues are considered the favorites in this series, it just goes to show that anything can happen in the playoffs. Not over until its over, (as you can see with MTL/OTT). My being a slight blues homer, i'm going to say blues in 7. But if not, respect your defeat and realize that you got beat (Hopefully not) by a good and motivated wild team. Lets go blues!

Anything can happen in the playoffs... like your top players consistently not showing up and getting knocked out round one 3 years in a row.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Anything can happen in the playoffs... like your top players consistently not showing up and getting knocked out round one 3 years in a row.

Well i do agree, guys like backes, steen and stastny really need to step up. Stamkos has been similar. It makes it hard to win games when your top players are not stepping up. I most certainly do agree. But tarasenko seems motivated. I would not be surprised to see him take over games like Johnson just did in game three. If your top players arent stepping up. SOMEBODY has to.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
It doesn't help that Hitchcock played Goc of all people last night. Nothing like shooting 10 feet high on a 2 on 1, or just leaving the puck behind when you have possession leading to a MN 4 on 3 break.

And JBo just shooting into the corners instead of at the net

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Gotta remember, we are just spectators. Alot of things can happen in the heat of the moment. I don't any of us can imagine the compete level that these guys are facing on the ice. Its not meant to be easy. Let them rue their loss until game 6. They will be coming out guns blazing, you can be sure of that.

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
Last night was prototypical Blues playoff hockey by the numbers.

1. Carry the play through much of the early game.
  2. Miss myriad opportunities to add to lead by shooting wide/high/directly into goalie from the slot/odd man rush/etc
  3. Allow terrible goal on clear, unscreened shot.
  4. Sink into back and forth game, continue to choke on all great looks at the net
  5. Watch as opponent digs deep and finishes their chances
  6. Get frustrated and press, give up odd man rushes and breaks until one goes in
  7. Tell media after game you took your foot off the gas/have to be better/learned a lesson/won't let that happen again/etc

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was really upset leaving the game last night. After having a cursing fit with my wife on the car ride home (she's a great listener), I've slept and calmed down a little.

The Blues are capable of winning two games in a row against Minnesota. They can do it. Will they do it? I don't know. I certainly hope so.

LGB!

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I have very little hope right now of the Blues winning game 6, but it would be exciting to see a game 7. I don't know, this series has been kind of dull so far. Not just because my team is losing, but it just seems like they are kind of taking turns playing like crap (the Blues more so than Minny, but still). Most of the games have lacked excitement and fireworks. On one hand it's kind of nice playing Minnesota instead of a team like Chicago or LA who I just can't stand, but this series does lack fire and hatred. Aside from Ott, there's been absolutely zero.

This. It almost doesn't even seem like a playoff series. A lot of people thought this would be the 'closest' first round series, and in terms of games won, it could easily go 7. It's just that for how close these two teams are, we haven't had a single nailbiter game yet. I guess game 1 was the closest? No OT games. It doesn't seem like either team has played great in the same game, and with a lack of extra-curriculars after the whistle (at least for the playoffs, compared to most other series), it's kind of added up to what I would call a 'boring' series.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I was really upset leaving the game last night. After having a cursing fit with my wife on the car ride home (she's a great listener), I've slept and calmed down a little.

The Blues are capable of winning two games in a row against Minnesota. They can do it. Will they do it? I don't know. I certainly hope so.

LGB!

The Wild have not lost back to back games in regulation with Dubnyk in net since he got to Minny.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
This. It almost doesn't even seem like a playoff series. A lot of people thought this would be the 'closest' first round series, and in terms of games won, it could easily go 7. It's just that for how close these two teams are, we haven't had a single nailbiter game yet. I guess game 1 was the closest? No OT games. It doesn't seem like either team has played great in the same game, and with a lack of extra-curriculars after the whistle (at least for the playoffs, compared to most other series), it's kind of added up to what I would call a 'boring' series.

Consider, should the Wild win in seven the road team will have won more games in each building than the home team! Strange series.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
What are you suggesting? That the Wild are unbeatable?:laugh:

No. They've lost 2 of 5 games in this series but not back to back games since Dubnyk has been here. Also look at the mentality of the Wild. I just don't think they will break down now when they can wrap it up at home.

Plus factor in Hitch's woeful playoff record of 12-24 in his last 36 playoff games. That means he only wins 1 of every 3 playoff games. Based on that alone the Wild win this series since all they need is 1 win in 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad