CDSF: (1) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild - Part II (Series 3-2 MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
Dubnyk isn't a top 10 goalie. Right.
According to the recent Vezina nominations he is a top 3 goalie.
His stats don't look good, though, because Yeo didn't pull him early in game 4.
But he won the next game alone hands down.

If Steen would've scored on the open net, Blues would've won.

Our discussion was regarding Dubnyk's overall track record, not just his recent phenomenal play with the Wild. Any player can go on a hot streak, that doesn't make them suddenly an All-Star/Top 10 player at their position.

For as well as Dubnyk has played for the Wild given his overall career performance would you trade him for Lundqvist, Rask, or Quick? That's the gist of our debate, over the past four months he's played as well as any of those three, maybe better, but he is going to have to do it for an extended period of time like they have to truly raise his status to that of an elite franchise goalie.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't know Blues fans... The Wild have a terrible history of not being able to get it done unless their backs are as against the wall as possible.

Of course I am hoping this is not the case today and we soundly beat you;)

Wild do not have a killer instinct - they play desperate well.

It's less about the Wild being able to win and more about the Blues being able to lose. Game 5 was a perfect example of that.

When it comes to crunch time, the Blues find ways to lose unlike anyone else.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
It's less about the Wild being able to win and more about the Blues being able to lose. Game 5 was a perfect example of that.

You're exaggerating. There's at least Tampa to be able to lose in any situation.

T4ylormade

Mar 29, 2013

Another poster not giving credit to the wild. They could win the cup and people would still say it was because their opponents played horribly :shakehead

Hf posters make me :laugh:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another poster not giving credit to the wild. They could win the cup and people would still say it was because their opponents played horribly :shakehead

Any team that wins in the playoffs deserves to win. My post wasn't taking away anything from the Wild.

Doesn't mean that the team who lost didn't choke. I'm not sure how you could have watched Game 5 and say the Blues found ways to lose that game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Come on Dubs. 2 good games in a row dude, I know you have it in you! Don't let MacT finally losing his GM job for all his terrible management make you let your guard down ;)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Come on, they controlled the whole first period, outshot the Wild 12-3, and then let in a weak goal to go into the break tied at 1....and then lose intensity. Its a given that the Wild are a good team. But the Blues have a habit of looking better on the ice for the majority of the game, but on the short end of the scoreboard.

A mentally tough team gives up a weak goal, and come back with a HIGHER effort.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Our discussion was regarding Dubnyk's overall track record, not just his recent phenomenal play with the Wild. Any player can go on a hot streak, that doesn't make them suddenly an All-Star/Top 10 player at their position.

For as well as Dubnyk has played for the Wild given his overall career performance would you trade him for Lundqvist, Rask, or Quick? That's the gist of our debate, over the past four months he's played as well as any of those three, maybe better, but he is going to have to do it for an extended period of time like they have to truly raise his status to that of an elite franchise goalie.

Can't argue any of that. Lots of goalies have one or two great seasons. What separated Lundquist, Rask, Rinne, Quick and even Crawford or Howard from the rest is that they do it consistently from year to year. You know what you're getting so you feel confident in offering them a long term deal. Dubnik hasn't showed that yet.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

If the Wild win, they were the better team in the series. They will have outplayed the Blues. Credit to them.

But if the Blues lose, they have no excuses. None. Losing to LA? Fine. Chicago? Fine. Minnesota? Not fine.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
If the Wild win, they were the better team in the series. They will have outplayed the Blues. Credit to them.

But if the Blues lose, they have no excuses. None. Losing to LA? Fine. Chicago? Fine. Minnesota? Not fine.

I agree its not like we are saying the Wild are not the better team. That is clear. On paper this series should not be close. Blues lose it is on the blues players. You can be the better team with less skill and expectations. The Blues fans are sick of being heart broken in the second round. Good news for the Wild is that if you win the series you have a good shot winning the cup if you look at the last few years:naughty:

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
I agree its not like we are saying the Wild are not the better team. That is clear. On paper this series should not be close.

On paper the Blues were all of 4.5 games better than the Wild after 82 games. Sorry to burst your bubble, or more directly, sorry your team is bursting your bubble, but there is no dominant team in the NHL today. There was no easy draw for the 1st round division winners, any "upset" will be of the very minor variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad