CDSF: (1) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild - Part II (Series 3-2 MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I know, it's almost hard to believe.

We were horrible in March. In April, we saw flashes of the normal team, but we never really had a complete game and didn't stay consistent. Elliott had been playing terrible and it was rubbing off on the rest of the team. We started coming out of it in the last 6 games or so of the regular season as we switched over to Allen, but we still weren't back in our groove, not to mention we didn't have Steen or Tarasenko.

Game 2 I think was the first time in a while that I saw a complete performance from the Blues. Game 4 was the same. What you saw in those two games is what is expected from them. That's what we should always be like, which is why we say that we can play like that every game. Those games were our norm.

What you are describing are times when the Blues play their best, i.e., not normal. Normal is their average play which includes dominant games, but also includes game where the Blues were dominated.

There is nothing to suggest that the Blues are such a drastically better team than the Wild that they can impose their will. Expecting a hockey team to always play as good as their best games is setting yourself up for disappointment.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
What you are describing are times when the Blues play their best, i.e., not normal. Normal is their average play which includes dominant games, but also includes game where the Blues were dominated.

There is nothing to suggest that the Blues are such a drastically better team than the Wild that they can impose their will. Expecting a hockey team to always play as good as their best games is setting yourself up for disappointment.

In the past the Blues have played very long stretches of hockey like you saw the other night. To many it is considered their "average" play. This year though, there has been less of that style of play as there were a lot of new faces that were introduced into the lineup. So it's understandable that the results haven't always been the same. But I would say that many fans see what the Blues did the other night as playing their "normal" game. When the Blues are truly playing at their best, you see many more grade A scoring opportunities. Honestly the scoring chances in the 6-1 game weren't that many for the Blues. They were fortunate that the Wild had som less than stellar goaltending.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

Game 4 was the Blues playing the way they are expected to play every night. The reason it was a blowout is it was combined with the Wild playing well below their usual level. If they are harder on the puck, better on the forecheck, that's a much closer game. The Blues were what we thought they were, but the Wild can be and will be better than that.

We honestly haven't seen both teams play the way that I think they should. MAYBE game 2.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I agree with Ken Wilson, he was great and all my childhood Blues memories were his calls. But I can not Stand the "Thank you,Thank you, Thank you" call its has to be the worst in the league. I guess Im turning into a cranky old man in my early thirties.

I think John Kelly is good at actually calling the game on a second by second basis. Very good. Names are correct. Never fumbles his words and is hardly ever a homer. He may lean to the Blues but that's it.

It's when he's expected to get emotional that he's terrible, and that's why having Pang there with him is an absolutely perfect balance.

It reminds me of Ken Wilson's passion and Joe Micheletti's robotic knowledge of the game. One by themselves would be awful but together is great.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
The Blues just embarrassed the Wild on home ice, they're going to be gunning for revenge. Minnesota is too good of a team to just give up now.

The Blues may say they have their game now, but they still have to go out and put 100% effort or it's not going to happen. They can't expect the Wild to just let the Blues play the type of game they want to play, they have to work for it and earn it. We'll see how it plays out.

The Wild are going to come out tonight. No question about it. Blues have to be able to match it.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Thats ridiculous, whats going to be worse, a walk of shame or letting in a few more goals? He's human, nobody is on top of their game every day, I'd argue nobody could be on top of their game the way the Wild's skaters played either. Dubnyk was equally bad, but even on his game they lose.

I think you are missing the point. The period was almost up. Why not just wait three more minutes and start the third with Keumper in net? Also these are former NHL players pointing this out, not some message board posters. I would think they would have a pulse on what could be embarrassing for goalies and what wouldn't.

SkyBlue

2/16 * 3
May 27, 2006
The Wild are going to come out tonight. No question about it. Blues have to be able to match it.

This. I'm not expecting game 3 or 4 so much as Wild G3 vs Blues G4 intensity, or as Hitch calls it "desperation". Could be an epic best of three starting tonight as pretty evenly matched but hoping both home ice and goalie comparison in series so far give slight edge to Blues.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Some good comments from Hitchcock in the pregame press conference:

Shattenkirk finally is looking comfortable again since coming back from injury. This last game was the first one where he was really moving his feet like he had been prior to the surgery.

The Blues are a lot more concerned with their own structure and playing style than what adjustments Minnesota makes.

Had some complimentary things said about Minnesota.

Blues need to take advantage of their home ice advantage in the next 3 games.

Was asked about the neutral zone adjustments in Game 4 and said, "I'm not going to talk about that."

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Some good comments from Hitchcock in the pregame press conference:

Shattenkirk finally is looking comfortable again since coming back from injury. This last game was the first one where he was really moving his feet like he had been prior to the surgery.

The Blues are a lot more concerned with their own structure and playing style than what adjustments Minnesota makes.

Had some complimentary things said about Minnesota.

Blues need to take advantage of their home ice advantage in the next 3 games.

Was asked about the neutral zone adjustments in Game 4 and said, "I'm not going to talk about that."

It will only be a home ice advantage if the Blues win game 5. I would hate for the Blues to lose game 5 then go back to Minny and play an elimination game on their ice. Either way, the Blues have to play the remaining games at 100% effort. No excuses, Get 'Er Done :)

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Lehtera not practicing this morning. I really hope he's okay for tonight. That would be a significant loss.

Might just be taking the morning off and toughing it out tonight. Apparently took a Bouwmeester point shot in Wednesday's game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dubnyk has been very, very good after losses. Hoping he can bounce back and steal game 5.

That Stastny goal was just a backbreaker in game 4. Not acceptable.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Can you guys tell your teams to do us casual observers a favor and actually make one of these games interesting? Thanks, much appreciated.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I think John Kelly is good at actually calling the game on a second by second basis. Very good. Names are correct. Never fumbles his words and is hardly ever a homer. He may lean to the Blues but that's it.

It's when he's expected to get emotional that he's terrible, and that's why having Pang there with him is an absolutely perfect balance.

It reminds me of Ken Wilson's passion and Joe Micheletti's robotic knowledge of the game. One by themselves would be awful but together is great.

I agree with you about Kelly. But Ken Wilson by himself would be anything but awful. That man's enthusiasm for the game and Blues hockey was downright infectious. He genuinely cared about the outcome of the game, and as a kid that made it impossible for you to be disinterested. "Here comes Cheveldae!" To this day, I feel like he was freaking out about these games more than the diehards at home.

SkyBlue

2/16 * 3
May 27, 2006
Dubnyk has been very, very good after losses. Hoping he can bounce back and steal game 5.

That Stastny goal was just a backbreaker in game 4. Not acceptable.

True enough. St Louis breathed a collective sigh of relief right then -- Wild were threatening to get back in. In fairness to Dubnyk the team in front of him wasn't helping such that Blues would still have been ahead I think, but maybe only 2-1 if he absolutely stood on his head for 35 minutes. Do you really expect that of him though? Seems like the Wild as a team could do it if they push Blues off their game etc but duuuuub by himself not so much. Then again I haven't watched him much outside this series...

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Game changed after softy #1 but I thought #2 by allen was even worse. wtf was he doing backed up on the goal line there?

I would be on the Wild will winning Game 6 in a blowout. Oshie, Backes, Steen and Stastny clearly do not want to produce and Tarasenko and Bergie cannot do it alone.

Personally I would like to see Ells in there for Game 6, good career numbers vs Minny and after tonights performance I just see Allen not recovering for a little bit.

Allen and Steen really let this team down tonight but its been Backes and Oshie who have done it all series. Very disappointed with them and their 0 hit game combined tonight.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I don't even know what to think about this Blues team anymore. It's just seems like if one thing is OK something else goes wrong. I actually caught myself wondering if Hitch would start double shifting Petro at forward for quite some time tonight.

Hats off to the Wild they played a good game and earned the W.

peteyp

Apr 13, 2015
Minneapolis
I haven't seen many Blues games but I know Tarasenko is a young elite scorer.. Just curious as to what you Blues fans think about the rest of his game?

peteyp

Apr 13, 2015
Minneapolis
Game changed after softy #1 but I thought #2 by allen was even worse. wtf was he doing backed up on the goal line there?

I would be on the Wild will winning Game 6 in a blowout. Oshie, Backes, Steen and Stastny clearly do not want to produce and Tarasenko and Bergie cannot do it alone.

Personally I would like to see Ells in there for Game 6, good career numbers vs Minny and after tonights performance I just see Allen not recovering for a little bit.

Allen and Steen really let this team down tonight but its been Backes and Oshie who have done it all series. Very disappointed with them and their 0 hit game combined tonight.

I thought Steen had a pretty solid game. That assist was sick and he created a few other scoring chances out of thin air (mainly undressing Scandella, who is a really good defender).

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The Blues seem like they're a team that should be made for the playoffs, but for whatever reason they just can't get it going. I don't get it. Hitch is a fantastic coach, but he just does not have playoff success.

Series definitely isn't over yet and I'm hoping the Wild come out strong on home ice because the Blues have shown they can push back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia