CDSF: (1) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild - Part II (Series 3-2 MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I personally think that the Wild will win game 6 and close out the series. I think being embarrassed on home ice in game 4 will really make them focus and come out flying tomorrow.

That said, the Blues can absolutely still win this series. I hope it doesn't go to game 7.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
No. They've lost 2 of 5 games in this series but not back to back games since Dubnyk has been here. Also look at the mentality of the Wild. I just don't think they will break down now when they can wrap it up at home.

Plus factor in Hitch's woeful playoff record of 12-24 in his last 36 playoff games. That means he only wins 1 of every 3 playoff games. Based on that alone the Wild win this series since all they need is 1 win in 2 games.

The team who's fans were the most confident going into each game has lost. What we as fans think we see hasn't yet proven true.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I have very little hope right now of the Blues winning game 6, but it would be exciting to see a game 7. I don't know, this series has been kind of dull so far. Not just because my team is losing, but it just seems like they are kind of taking turns playing like crap (the Blues more so than Minny, but still). Most of the games have lacked excitement and fireworks. On one hand it's kind of nice playing Minnesota instead of a team like Chicago or LA who I just can't stand, but this series does lack fire and hatred. Aside from Ott, there's been absolutely zero.

And the Blues just don't have the same energy and physical play as they've had the past two years against Chicago and LA. Props to Minnesota for playing well, and they definitely deserve to be leading the series, but I just don't see much urgency or resilience from the Blues until it's too late. I don't get it. Even though they lost the past 2 years, I thought they showed a lot more energy than they are right now. They never put a piss poor effort on the ice like they have this series.
Ah, this series has been at an insane high level of hockey. You want to see open-ice and gimmick battles, there are plenty of other series to watch. St Louis versus Minnesota is big boy hockey. The moment one team drops their guard for a second, the other team has swiftly punished them and regained the momentum. The amount of subtle tactics used in this series has been massive.

If the NHL playoffs were an action movie, you are saying the mid-movie scrappy, chaotic bar fight is the the gold standard. Both sides bring a lot of energy and action at the same time.

Where this series is the boss fight. There is little chaos. There is only momentum. Punches are heavy and one mistake swings the fight dramatically in the other direction. Victory and defeat are close brothers.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I wondering whether Elliott starts the next game. Allen has had a good series, but he had the most responsibility for the loss last night. His body language after the 1st goal really concerned me, and then he progressively lost his composure. Good grief, down by 3 goals with like 90 seconds left or whatever and he was so indecisive it took him 20 seconds to get off the ice.

I wish Hitchcock would have put Elliott in to get a little ice time and face live shots for even the last 10 minutes of the game. As it is, he hasn't played in a couple weeks, and wasn't on top of his game the last time he did play. Its a really tall order coming in for an elimination game. But if the Blues lose Game 6 with Allen in net, its got to be hard to take for Elliott watching from the bench two years in a row after putting up such a good regular season.

I also don't understand why Jokinen didn't play over Goc. Jokinen is aging and his body can't take the regular season tempo any more. But he's also shown he can come in and contribute with limited starts. He's fresh, and he's hungry. We'd already seen what we have in Goc....and it hasn't been anything special. I'd have much rather see Jokinen for Lehtera. Again, it sucks to think of the Blues bowing out in Game 6 with him never even having a chance to contribute.

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
I wondering whether Elliott starts the next game. Allen has had a good series, but he had the most responsibility for the loss last night. His body language after the 1st goal really concerned me, and then he progressively lost his composure. Good grief, down by 3 goals with like 90 seconds left or whatever and he was so indecisive it took him 20 seconds to get off the ice.

I wish Hitchcock would have put Elliott in to get a little ice time and face live shots for even the last 10 minutes of the game. As it is, he hasn't played in a couple weeks, and wasn't on top of his game the last time he did play. Its a really tall order coming in for an elimination game. But if the Blues lose Game 6 with Allen in net, its got to be hard to take for Elliott watching from the bench two years in a row after putting up such a good regular season.

I also don't understand why Jokinen didn't play over Goc. Jokinen is aging and his body can't take the regular season tempo any more. But he's also shown he can come in and contribute with limited starts. He's fresh, and he's hungry. We'd already seen what we have in Goc....and it hasn't been anything special. I'd have much rather see Jokinen for Lehtera. Again, it sucks to think of the Blues bowing out in Game 6 with him never even having a chance to contribute.

0% chance Elliott starts, but I completely agree about Jokinen. Jaskin is lost in the playoffs and Berglund requires talent around him to be successful. When you take Stastny off that line, you gut the line. Jokinen would have been a better choice. He looked highly motivated in his playing time here. I am hoping he inserts him for game 6, but I doubt it.

I really don't feel as freaked out about this elimination game as past years. For one, I'm so used to it now, it's just sort of normal. And two, this series really has been all about each team executing. The Blues have been able to assert themselves and dominate and they've also been run over completely. I have to give the edge to the Wild because they have converted more important chances with the game on the line. The Blues once again could not close the deal with a lead in a playoff game due to poor finishing ability. If I were Vlad Tarasenko, I'd have nagging doubts about signing here long term knowing you'll have to play Atlas every postseason. Oh well, here goes nothing.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think we stick with Allen, yea he let up a soft goal, but its not his fault that the team in front of him totally quit on him afterwards. Also agree about Jokinen, no idea why he didnt play instead of Goc last night.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
Ah, this series has been at an insane high level of hockey. You want to see open-ice and gimmick battles, there are plenty of other series to watch. St Louis versus Minnesota is big boy hockey. The moment one team drops their guard for a second, the other team has swiftly punished them and regained the momentum. The amount of subtle tactics used in this series has been massive.

If the NHL playoffs were an action movie, you are saying the mid-movie scrappy, chaotic bar fight is the the gold standard. Both sides bring a lot of energy and action at the same time.

Where this series is the boss fight. There is little chaos. There is only momentum. Punches are heavy and one mistake swings the fight dramatically in the other direction. Victory and defeat are close brothers.

Very well said! What is often considered exciting hockey is the result not of sound fundamentals, but the result of one team lacking them and the other team skating free with the puck. Combine two offensively talented teams with little fundamentals and you're going to have an exciting up and down game!

What this series has presented, and I think Hitch made some great comments regarding it in his Thursday press conference, is two teams dedicated to playing fundamentally sound hockey. That leaves little room for those flashy plays everybody loves to see. These two teams are built for a chess match, not a sprint!!

Last edited:

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015

Great post. The momentum in this series has shifted every night. Both fan bases have experienced joy and frustration. What appears like lackluster effort is the other team strangling the other. You can't move. You can't get a puck through. You can't win a board battle. Losing this series will not be a disgrace. Winning this series could launch a deep run. Great hockey.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
is Peyton Manning going to go down as one of the worst QB's ever or something because he MAY only win 1 super bowl? lots of players/coaches who only win 1 championship

There's a reason people are talking about getting rid of Hitch, just because you can make the playoffs consistently, all the matters is how you can do in them, Hitch hasn't gotten past the 2nd round in over a decade and has multiple 1st round exits. I said he was a fantastic coach, but his teams have not been good in the playoffs, as evident with his tenure with the Blues.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There is nothing in recent history to indicate to Blues fans that this team is going to go to Minnesota and win Game 6. We've all seen this movie a bunch of times.

I'll cheer for them to the bloody end, but until they actually DO something different I just can't abide concocting half-believed arguments for why they will play their best game tomorrow.

Its one thing to lose the series. Fine, if that's what ends up happening then congratulations to the Wild are in order. But its so damned frustrating to see the team not play their best hockey when it matters the most.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
There is nothing in recent history to indicate to Blues fans that this team is going to go to Minnesota and win Game 6. We've all seen this movie a bunch of times.

I'll cheer for them to the bloody end, but until they actually DO something different I just can't abide concocting half-believed arguments for why they will play their best game tomorrow.

Its one thing to lose the series. Fine, if that's what ends up happening then congratulations to the Wild are in order. But its so damned frustrating to see the team not play their best hockey when it matters the most.

That statement applies to many Blues teams over the past 30 years!

Bluenatic

Fresh start
Aug 13, 2010
STL

Sigh........yup

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I think we stick with Allen, yea he let up a soft goal, but its not his fault that the team in front of him totally quit on him afterwards. Also agree about Jokinen, no idea why he didnt play instead of Goc last night.

lol no they didn't. That 1-1 goal was the biggest goal of the series. Minnesota had just lost 6-1 and were being outshot about 10-0 before Allen let in that weak ass goal. Their confidence sky rocketed after that goal and it was back and forth the whole game. The only difference was, Dubnyk severely outplayed Allen.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I honestly did not expect the blues to be in this situation. They are a fantastic team. You blues fans should not be too hard on your team. They are playing a very capable team in the wild. Alot of Speed, skill, heart and grit on that team. Although the Blues are considered the favorites in this series, it just goes to show that anything can happen in the playoffs. Not over until its over, (as you can see with MTL/OTT). My being a slight blues homer, i'm going to say blues in 7. But if not, respect your defeat and realize that you got beat (Hopefully not) by a good and motivated wild team. Lets go blues!

This excuse has been used several times. "Oh we just happened to run into the Kings.." or whoever. At some point you are a contender and beat other contenders, or you are a gatekeeper.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Allen or bust.

The past few years the Blues have had significant injuries or lineup holes going into the playoffs. This year, the blues literally have no excuses. I'm expecting to see some major changes in the offseason if we lose this series. I've had just about enough of Backes, Oshie, and Jackman. I'd be thrilled if I never saw those three wear the blue note ever again, nothing but abysmal playoff performers year in and year out.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
is Peyton Manning going to go down as one of the worst QB's ever or something because he MAY only win 1 super bowl? lots of players/coaches who only win 1 championship

Peyton Manning, the greatest regular season qb of all time.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
The only difference was, Dubnyk severely outplayed Allen.

Pretty good considering you said Allen solved the Blues goalie issues and Dubnyk was terrible and couldn't single handedly win a game for the Wild, yes?

If that wasn't you who was saying as much a couple days back I apologize in advance!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Even though this series isn't "Steen OT winner in game 1 and Jackman winner in game 2" similar, the Blues STILL, for the 3rd year in a row, lost a crucial game 5 at home to go down in the series 3-2 and go to the other team's barn in game 6. We know what happened in game 6 the past two years.

I will be very surprised if the Blues win tomorrow. Don't care what type of fan that makes me, I'm just completely done with getting my hopes up about them. And if they do win I'll expect them to lose game 7. It's not worth ever being optimistic about them anymore.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
Even though this series isn't "Steen OT winner in game 1 and Jackman winner in game 2" similar, the Blues STILL, for the 3rd year in a row, lost a crucial game 5 at home to go down in the series 3-2 and go to the other team's barn in game 6. We know what happened in game 6 the past two years.

I will be very surprised if the Blues win tomorrow. Don't care what type of fan that makes me, I'm just completely done with getting my hopes up about them. And if they do win I'll expect them to lose game 7. It's not worth ever being optimistic about them anymore.

I've been a life long Vikings fan and I call BS!!! Even if they get destroyed tomorrow, if they have a strong year next year you'll be right here with the rest of us!!

:yo:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Pretty good considering you said Allen solved the Blues goalie issues and Dubnyk was terrible and couldn't single handedly win a game for the Wild, yes?

If that wasn't you who was saying as much a couple days back I apologize in advance!

I've been saying all series that Allen isn't a big game goalie. I never said he solved the Blues goalie issues. I DID say that Dubnyk was a lot like Elliott in that he's a solid, reliable goalie that will keep his team in it but he won't win a series by himself. He may win a few games, but not a whole series. I still stick with what I said, Dubnyk isn't a top 10 goalie in the NHL but he did look really good last game.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
I've been saying all series that Allen isn't a big game goalie. I never said he solved the Blues goalie issues. I DID say that Dubnyk was a lot like Elliott in that he's a solid, reliable goalie that will keep his team in it but he won't win a series by himself. He may win a few games, but not a whole series. I still stick with what I said, Dubnyk isn't a top 10 goalie in the NHL but he did look really good last game.

Nah, you stated, or someone who very rudely interrupted us did, that with Allen's solid play the Blues had found their answer in net. Allen has been solid this series outside of game five, Dubnyk has been solid for the Wild for as long as he's been with them with rare exception. I'd be very interested in revisiting this conversation at the end of next season. I don't think either can be viewed as franchise/top 10 goalies with their current experience and/or career performance but if they build on what has been a solid showing this season we may well take a different perspective with them next year! Again, maybe not top 10, but with the right team in from of them they may present the opportunity to truly contend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->