CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Congrats to the Colts. The better team won. Emphasis on TEAM.

I still think Nepean had the roster to win the league at the start of the season, but some moves killed the chemistry of the squad.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
What's a sydrome?

Great post SPORTS DUD ( small man sydrome ).....never had a post here in 5 years...or the other two that your colts where in the finals...

Hope Ian wins it.....

:loony:

Hey buddy, stop living in the past. As for small man, consider this...

Confucius say: the end of day is near when small men
make long shadows.

And some advice for you... squirrel who run up woman leg, not find
nuts.

That's pretty much all I have to say to you big guy!

More importantly, GO COLTS! :5:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Sorry, I have to disagree with you - COACHING is what lost the series - plain and simple.

Have to agree with you a bit on this one. While Cornwall did play better for four and a half of the six games in this series, Corey Durocher and Richard Therrien were under-utilised by Goulet.

Many would make the argument Ryan Mulder should have been in net for Nepean.

Very frustrating, the night that I go expressly to scout Piccolino (Game Six), he got seemingly no difficult shots. Nonetheless, he looked solid. Very surprised he hasn`t committed anywhere.

On a final note, congratulations to the better TEAM in the series, the Cornwall Colts.

I can`t help but flash back to a conversation I had with the Nepean trainer (big bearded guy) at a post-tournament party for the Women`s World Championships. I thought it would be a six- or seven-game series and Cornwall would win (even though I`ve written for the Raiders).

He was so confident, so very confident the Raiders would `knock Pontarelli out of the series,` and `win the series in six or less.`

He also made a point of predicting a sweep in the BCHL Finals (his dad`s Penticton Vees over my cousin`s team, the Surrey Eagles). Surrey won that series 4-2 (what a coincidence).

Have to say, there was a lot of ego around the Raiders this season, and I honestly don`t think they were prepared for the turnaround from Cornwall after the Colts went down 5-0 in their own building.

Cornwall will do a good job representing the CC out East, and I`m confident they`ll finish top two.

One parting remark to the Nepean trainer - you were wrong. On both counts. :handclap:

Congrats to Cornwall, who honestly outplayed Nepean in the three games of the series I saw.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Egos on the Raiders? You don't say.

They are the only team that has a bunch of import players in the stands who never play. Pretty sad.

As someone said the cream rises to the top...

HockeyFan67

Mar 25, 2011
Eastern,Ontario
1297408328177_ORIGINAL.jpg

1297408326702_ORIGINAL.jpg

Quoted from Freeholder...

It wasn’t a surprise on Wednesday night, when Cornwall goalie Jordan Piccolino won the playoff most valuable player award.

And when it’s not a surprise when the winning goalie is ninth in the league in playoff goals-against-average (2.97), then it tells you just how good he was, how good he had to be.

Piccolino ended up making 629 saves (.916 save percentage) in the postseason, playing in all of the Colts’ 19 games.

Piccolino, 18, of Pierrefonds, Que., known to be a fiery competitor, was calm and collected, smiling abundantly, as Colts players passed the Art Bogart Cup to each other in a jubilant celebration on the Nepean rink.

“I didn’t really care about (being MVP),’’ Piccolino said, looking over to the latest Colts player to lift the cup. “I just wanted that (team) trophy.’’

But now that the team trophy was secured, and with a bit of time for reflection, Piccolino said “it’s great to be given that (MVP) honour’’.

He had just backstopped a franchise to its first playoff title since 2001.

“Twelve years,’’ he said. “It’s about time.’’

myviewfromthestands

Oct 7, 2012
Brockville Sale

Was told something away from the rink today = problem with Sheppard and Braves was he did not like the deal with the city of Brockville - reason he stepped away

myviewfromthestands

Oct 7, 2012
Congrats Colts on a great season - it was great to see the team and each player develop - a great run from the Christmas break to the end of the playoffs - good luck at the Fred.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
Very interesting...

-Durocher and Therrien under-utilised by Goulet.
-Mulder vs Zawa.
-Piccolino - hasn`t committed anywhere.
-Congratulations to the better TEAM in the series, the Cornwall Colts.
-Nepean trainer (big bearded guy) so very confident the Raiders would `knock Pontarelli out of the series,` and `win the series in six or less'.
-A lot of ego around the Raiders this season, don`t think they were prepared for the turnaround from Cornwall after the Colts went down 5-0 in their own building.
-Congrats to Cornwall, who outplayed Nepean in the three games I saw.

Hey Diablo, I thank you for being transparent, retrospective, and for sharing with us. From the onset of the series, PG and the bearded assistant you refered to, sent what could have been the wrong message to the team. By shadowing Colts #9, you put your team at a disadvantage while scewing the TEAM focus on what needs to be done. In the end, did it work? I mean, Napean had an array of weapons in their arsenal that could have wreaked offensive havoc, as we've seen intermittently. My point is that this basic shadowing strategy threw off their TEAM focus and maybe even their confidence... Most teams have a couple of players or lines to worry about. Why elevate the threat? Focus should always be on a TEAM defense strategy with particular attention to "containment" when necessary. Bottomline, this took away IMO from their own productivity and the Colts, including that #9 guy, still got the job done. I know, hindsight is today's luxury, but this was called out by others who were surprised by this coaching decision earlier on in the series.

Both Raiders goalies are very good and I don't think one or the other would have made the difference in the end. Z was solid. Picco will be signed to a D-1 this year, pretty sure. Lingering question this year was his health and if he could finish the year. He proved that... and he also proved to be a star, like he proved in prep school before his injury. Won't be long...

Last point, interesting you bring up ego... In any business/sport/life ego is a must - but what kind and degree of ego? When statements are made that are overbearingly assuming, like you mentioned, and PG's statement last year pledging to be back to the FPC this year... you better be right, or it's going to regurgitate right back at ya.

And your bang on about game #3. After a 1.1 period slumber, the Colts woke up and did they ever in periods 2&3, followed by a game #4 shutout; which I guess caught everyone by surprise. The colts proved that their best is yet to come.

CoasttoCoast

Jul 3, 2012
Have to agree with you a bit on this one. While Cornwall did play better for four and a half of the six games in this series, Corey Durocher and Richard Therrien were under-utilised by Goulet.

Many would make the argument Ryan Mulder should have been in net for Nepean.

Very frustrating, the night that I go expressly to scout Piccolino (Game Six), he got seemingly no difficult shots. Nonetheless, he looked solid. Very surprised he hasn`t committed anywhere.

On a final note, congratulations to the better TEAM in the series, the Cornwall Colts.

I can`t help but flash back to a conversation I had with the Nepean trainer (big bearded guy) at a post-tournament party for the Women`s World Championships. I thought it would be a six- or seven-game series and Cornwall would win (even though I`ve written for the Raiders).

He was so confident, so very confident the Raiders would `knock Pontarelli out of the series,` and `win the series in six or less.`

He also made a point of predicting a sweep in the BCHL Finals (his dad`s Penticton Vees over my cousin`s team, the Surrey Eagles). Surrey won that series 4-2 (what a coincidence).

Have to say, there was a lot of ego around the Raiders this season, and I honestly don`t think they were prepared for the turnaround from Cornwall after the Colts went down 5-0 in their own building.

Cornwall will do a good job representing the CC out East, and I`m confident they`ll finish top two.

One parting remark to the Nepean trainer - you were wrong. On both counts. :handclap:

Congrats to Cornwall, who honestly outplayed Nepean in the three games of the series I saw.

The trainer spoke confidently, about Nepean winning the series.....this is a big deal, are you kidding me........ if you asked a Cornwall person, they would'nt have spoke confidently about Cornwall's chances??? Come on.
Sportsdude-Having Williams shadow Ponterelli, this somehow held back the top guns, Norris, Hedges, Neil, Durocher. Only in your mind.
Remember, how everyone on this Board said nepean's defense was no good, remember Nepean was a fifth seed, but somehow loseing in 6 games in the final is under acheiving??
zawadski was not outplayed by Piocolino.(?), if you remember Mulder lost game 1.
Now I know through the passage of time, this cornwall team will be remembered, in Cornwall, as one of the greatest teams to ever play in the CCHL/CJHL. But in the short term, let's try to remember they won 4 1 goal games against nepean. Cornwall had a slight edge in the six games and are therefore champions.

I thought Quince, Johnston and Zion had great series for Cornwall.

I'm also very interested in the pay to play plan next year. Someone mentioned the owners were having second thoughts? Are any players been givin info on their exit interviews? I've argued they could raise fees by $1000.00 per player next year and not get much push-back. That's $20,000.00 for each owner, significant money to the city teams. But to try and get $3000.00 more per play will change the league in every way. Unless they are desparate, and some owners may be. They should faze the increases over 3-4 years.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
The trainer spoke confidently, about Nepean winning the series.....this is a big deal, are you kidding me........ if you asked a Cornwall person, they would'nt have spoke confidently about Cornwall's chances??? Come on.
Sportsdude-Having Williams shadow Ponterelli, this somehow held back the top guns, Norris, Hedges, Neil, Durocher. Only in your mind.
Remember, how everyone on this Board said nepean's defense was no good, remember Nepean was a fifth seed, but somehow loseing in 6 games in the final is under acheiving??
zawadski was not outplayed by Piocolino.(?), if you remember Mulder lost game 1.
Now I know through the passage of time, this cornwall team will be remembered, in Cornwall, as one of the greatest teams to ever play in the CCHL/CJHL. But in the short term, let's try to remember they won 4 1 goal games against nepean. Cornwall had a slight edge in the six games and are therefore champions.

I thought Quince, Johnston and Zion had great series for Cornwall.

I'm also very interested in the pay to play plan next year. Someone mentioned the owners were having second thoughts? Are any players been givin info on their exit interviews? I've argued they could raise fees by $1000.00 per player next year and not get much push-back. That's $20,000.00 for each owner, significant money to the city teams. But to try and get $3000.00 more per play will change the league in every way. Unless they are desparate, and some owners may be. They should faze the increases over 3-4 years.

You sound like a Raider employee.

Remember Nepean won 3 one goal games against the Lumber Kings.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
Let's agree to disgree on this one ok?

Ok, so let's reverse this and see how it sounds to you... hypothetically, IF (which I think would never happen) the Colts assistant went around saying that his team would knock Hedgey out of the series and that they'll beat the Raiders in 6... maybe even a sweep... how does that sound to you? Do you think that's the best way to communicate abroad so that it gets out there... and to be so bold as to say it to a reporter? :dunno: I think if the Raiders had a PR dept, they would take out the duct tape and use it on him in public - first to avoid a verbal faux pas, and then on his hands to avoid daunting tweets. As a coach, I would put this material up for my players to make it a mission for this not to come true. You know rah-rah-rah!

As for #12 chasing #9 around? I felt bad for Williams who has alot more to offer a team than that IMHO. You should ask the Raiders players what they thought of that strategy. I'm just guessing that they probably thought they were past that sort of thing once they moved on from bantam.

Please don't get me wrong, Napean was a great team and the Colts won, as the Raiders lost for whatever reason that is up for speculation. I threw some stuff out there because I really think it didn't help Napean's cause. Just like anything on this board, relevant? agree? stupid? I think it can be something to reflect on moving forward... for all teams. Just my opinion, that's all.

Agree with you about pay-play, and I spoke my piece. It would be disastrous!!! Why mess with a good thing? Ok, if some stuff needs to get paid, maybe go slow and up some costs years 1 - 5. If it's not working in a town because the community base doesn't support the team, or the owners want out, well then there are ways to fix that without imposing draconian levies on the players and their families. As for owners, desparate? That's life - they knew when they got in that there would be an element of risk involved. That's the nature of business. I'd rather save the game than the owner's money. Now that makes sense to me.

CentralVet90

Aug 16, 2011
gusfring you seem very bitter about Nepean ever since the trade deadline, and you are now on the Pembroke bandwagon. Before the deadline you were a huge raider supporter, now not anymore. Are you a parent of a kid who may have been traded to Pembroke in the Drouin deal?

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
gusfring you seem very bitter about Nepean ever since the trade deadline, and you are now on the Pembroke bandwagon. Before the deadline you were a huge raider supporter, now not anymore. Are you a parent of a kid who may have been traded to Pembroke in the Drouin deal?

Yes I am Diaz's son...

How's that Sifton "Rookie of the year" thing coming along?

CoasttoCoast

Jul 3, 2012
It's an end of a era in Jr. A Hockey in this part of Ontario.
Nepean players were told today to expect to pay to play next year, around $6000.00 if your a rookie and $4000.00 if you are a veteran.
The Jr. B league just got a lot better.
My son falls in the 19-20 yr. old group. He loved playing, it was a good deal for us, but not anymore. With a Div. 1 unlikely, the economics just don't add up. By the way, most players aren't getting anything near a full ride. One of the Div. 1 commits from Nepean is only getting a 2 for 4 deal. That is the school will cover about 50% of the 4 year cost.
My son, will try out for Carleton, play Jr. B or retire.
Rich kids and Americans will fill the rosters. How do you ask money from local sponsors for a team filled with the fore-mentioned.
If the clubs with money can pay the fee for the player, the league will quickly become two tiered, the haves and the have not's.
Hey it's their league they can do what they want with it, but the character of the league has changed, I will take my money & interest elsewhere.

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
Pay to play, it will be interesting to see if it actually occurs, apparently inter league play with OJ no longer happening nor is the OJ doing the pay to play model at least not to the extent originally contemplated. I spoke to one owner who told me more and more teams having second thoughts about it all the time or at least need to slowly phase it in to see the reaction....nothing officially announced by league yet either so will have to wait and see.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
OMG, you can't be serious!!!

Nepean players were told today to expect to pay to play next year, around $6000.00 if your a rookie and $4000.00 if you are a veteran.
My son falls in the 19-20 yr. old group. He loved playing, it was a good deal for us, but not anymore. With a Div. 1 unlikely, the economics just don't add up. By the way, most players aren't getting anything near a full ride. One of the Div. 1 commits from Nepean is only getting a 2 for 4 deal. That is the school will cover about 50% of the 4 year cost.
Rich kids and Americans will fill the rosters. How do you ask money from local sponsors for a team filled with the fore-mentioned.
If the clubs with money can pay the fee for the player, the league will quickly become two tiered, the haves and the have not's.
Hey it's their league they can do what they want with it, but the character of the league has changed, I will take my money & interest elsewhere.

Hey C2C, I feel sick. My heart goes out to you and your boy. If this goes through, the league members and the owners who pushed for this are a bunch of idiots. Pretty much straight forward. Maybe boneheads, or imbeciles might be appropriate ways to describe these losers as well. Greed kills hockey! Hey, let's destroy this good thing we have going for our young hockey talent and let's make it a business like the NHL! It won't work you hogs.

Here's another great idea for this group of morons, raise the spectators' entrance fee while your at it.

If this happens, :thumbd::thumbd:=CCHL

HockeyFan67

Mar 25, 2011
Eastern,Ontario
It is a shame to charge these kids that much,but you also have to look at the numbers from a owners perspective.It is INDEED a business,with the owners taking ALL the risk...Just look at the attendance gates for this year...The top 3-4 teams have probably made money,and the rest?...not so much.Like CtC stated,this will be rich kids and Americans that will fill this league.

LEAGUE ATTENDANCE

TEAM TOTAL Games AVERAGE

Pembroke 29,504 31 951
Brockville 22,751 31 733
Cornwall 20,924 31 674
Smiths Falls 16,439 31 530
Carleton Place 11,531 31 371
Hawkesbury 7,332 31 236
Gloucester 6,294 31 203
Cumberland 6,247 31 201
Nepean 5,724 31 184
Kanata 5,550 31 179
Ottawa 5,315 31 171
Kemptville 5,293 31 170

TOTALS: 142,904 372 384

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006

That's too bad. I've said this plenty of times here, that there are few full rides being given up, regardless of what people may say.

Last year there was a D get a scholarship to Quinnipiac and I know for a fact that he paid for most of it.

It's few are far between.

CCHLhockeyfan

Apr 13, 2013
Might wanna research next time....

Coasttocoast: only one of the commitments got 2 for 4 I'm pretty sure! your telling me Norris and Hedges would take a 3 for 4 with their stats and capabilities. id say probably a 3.95 for 4 for both of them.

Gusfrings (again) Gus: Oh really? was that a defender that was with pembroke. Last time i checked gussy according to your attack to the Nepean organization and Alexander Sifton, he wasn't part of that trade with pembroke. How did that trade work out for pembroke tho? just wondering... beat out 4 straight to the "least classy organization" last time i checked success is measured by the amount of appearance to the final and the amount of wins.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
That's too bad. I've said this plenty of times here, that there are few full rides being given up, regardless of what people may say.

Last year there was a D get a scholarship to Quinnipiac and I know for a fact that he paid for most of it.

It's few are far between.

Can't speak for other teams but I know for certain (or 90% anyway) that the CP scholarships are mostly full rides. There are a few that are 80% but some of those guys were able to get the remainder covered through academic scholarships.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Coasttocoast: only one of the commitments got 2 for 4 I'm pretty sure! your telling me Norris and Hedges would take a 3 for 4 with their stats and capabilities. id say probably a 3.95 for 4 for both of them.

Gusfrings (again) Gus: Oh really? was that a defender that was with pembroke. Last time i checked gussy according to your attack to the Nepean organization and Alexander Sifton, he wasn't part of that trade with pembroke. How did that trade work out for pembroke tho? just wondering... beat out 4 straight to the "least classy organization" last time i checked success is measured by the amount of appearance to the final and the amount of wins.

You're comparing Nepean and Pembroke? Really?

Answer the question: how did that Sifton for rookie of the year thing work out? I'm not attacking him, but your comments.

CCHLhockeyfan

Apr 13, 2013
You're comparing Nepean and Pembroke? Really?

Answer the question: how did that Sifton for rookie of the year thing work out? I'm not attacking him, but your comments.

That was obviously not a trade for this year but for years to come, he's got tons of upside. PG made great trade, the Raiders just didn't get the bounce this season. Seeing as your son was on the team like you said... you would have seen these bounces not going their way.

The Durocher trade was Maxime Cote and Cam Hughes for Corey Durocher and Alexander Sifton. Cote was barely making it into the lineup and to get a player of Corey Durocher's talent for a guy barely cracking the squad.

The Drouin trade as you know was Mike Milito and Derek Diaz for Phillipe Drouin. Mike had a hard time cracking the lineup with all his injuries this season. Derek was probably traded as per his comments on twitter saying the Slap shot saying, " Trade me right F***ing now."

The Therrien trade was Richard Therrien for Wyatt Trumbley. Wyatt had a hard time in my opinion from the stands fitting into the CCHL hockey-style. Richard was a big body with scoring touch. He had a pro shot to say the least.

As you can see in all of these trades... Nepean was trying to add TOUGHNESS. Yes when milito was with the raiders he added grit but he got injured alot this year.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
It is a shame to charge these kids that much,but you also have to look at the numbers from a owners perspective.It is INDEED a business,with the owners taking ALL the risk...Just look at the attendance gates for this year...The top 3-4 teams have probably made money,and the rest?...not so much.Like CtC stated,this will be rich kids and Americans that will fill this league.

LEAGUE ATTENDANCE

TEAM TOTAL Games AVERAGE

Pembroke 29,504 31 951
Brockville 22,751 31 733
Cornwall 20,924 31 674
Smiths Falls 16,439 31 530
Carleton Place 11,531 31 371
Hawkesbury 7,332 31 236
Gloucester 6,294 31 203
Cumberland 6,247 31 201
Nepean 5,724 31 184
Kanata 5,550 31 179
Ottawa 5,315 31 171
Kemptville 5,293 31 170

TOTALS: 142,904 372 384

All I'm saying is that there must be some other alternative in order to give the better players a league that they deserve to play in rather than diluting the quality of the game because the owners need to line their pockets by inserting inferior talent with the bucks in the line-up. It would be detrimental and embarassing if a so-called inferior league becomes stronger ultimately making the CCHL a joke. Maybe the municipalities need to step it up if they want to have a CCHL team representing the community. Some of the teams can be more creative to motivate fans and build a bigger fan base. Maybe inter-league games or events would help... Again, there are other possible solutions to explore. If not, move elsewhere... or, cut the number of teams in the league to make them stronger and more viable. I see nothing wrong with raising fees gradually, but not so drastically.

I don't see the big hikes that C2C devulged from Napean as being a path for future growth, but rather the beginning of the end. I think I :deadhorse

I'll stop now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad