CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
So 66...What's CP's plan on next year?? New coach?? New scout and advisor?:sarcasm:

And your point is?

The coach is also the owner, so I don't think he's going anywhere. CP had a great season considering it was only their third in the league and they've improved every year. They actually dominated the Colts in the playoffs but couldn't win the close games. Not worried at all about next year.

KL14

Oct 25, 2011
Teams will not be for sale for a while

With all the predications of teams being for sale, here is my opinion (for what it is worth)...I don't think any team will sell until the fee issue is sorted out...I can see owners who want to sell to be behind it 100% and try to get it set as soon as possible. The value of the teams will never be higher IF an owner knows they will be getting $ 50K to $ 75K just from players fees....that covers 1/3 to 1/2 of a teams annual operating budget....so once the fee issue is worked out, then you may see some teams change hands.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
So much for predictions.....and nice to see you also tuning out, finally.

On a final note, congrats to the Colts on a successful season. Also nice to see Edwardson do well in his only start.

What a game! The Colts are the 2013 CCHL comeback kids - not only for the regular season and the playoffs, but also at the FPC. By far they were the most exciting and surprising team of the year. You're right 66, I was wrong and the Colts fell short by a whisker. But, they almost got it done against the Western Caps... That was hard to swallow, especially after having played such a great game. The team regrouped against the quebecers and played lightsout as a TEAM Saturday night.

I turn the page... and I felt you were missing me... so, I'm gonna hang around and stick with my buddies 67 and the shack in order to keep you in line. You've passed around some boloney sandwiches this year and we need more variety.

You're right Mac, things will be changing over the summer and the puck drops on the 2014 season before you know it. I just hope the league, owners, and coaches make top talent recruitment and retention the number one priority. We, the fans deserve to see high level hockey, as with previous years in the CCHL.

Get some well deserved rest Colts, 2013 was one of the most successful and exhilerating campaigns in the TEAM's history. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:clap:

specialteams

Dec 10, 2011
What a game! The Colts are the 2013 CCHL comeback kids - not only for the regular season and the playoffs, but also at the FPC. By far they were the most exciting and surprising team of the year. You're right 66, I was wrong and the Colts fell short by a whisker. But, they almost got it done against the Western Caps... That was hard to swallow, especially after having played such a great game. The team regrouped against the quebecers and played lightsout as a TEAM Saturday night.

I turn the page... and I felt you were missing me... so, I'm gonna hang around and stick with my buddies 67 and the shack in order to keep you in line. You've passed around some boloney sandwiches this year and we need more variety.

You're right Mac, things will be changing over the summer and the puck drops on the 2014 season before you know it. I just hope the league, owners, and coaches make top talent recruitment and retention the number one priority. We, the fans deserve to see high level hockey, as with previous years in the CCHL.

Get some well deserved rest Colts, 2013 was one of the most successful and exhilerating campaigns in the TEAM's history. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:clap:

Have to echo the sentiments and I'm not a Cornwall Colt fan. I think I remember seeing some pre-season predictions that had Cornwall out of the play-offs. Have to give IM credit on the recruiting front and making some timely trades. They had some talent but in the end out-worked and out-coached opponents. Looking back one second away from falling behind 3-2 to Brockville but changed the tide with an OT win. Getting by a very good CP squad in seven, which I didn't see happening and as well didn't have them getting by the Raiders. All they did was silence a lot of critics and win hockey games. They did the CCHL proud down at FPC and in the end lost to two very good teams (Truro and Summerside) who loaded up for both FPC and RBC.

Piccolino played some great hockey, unfortunately might have struggled down east. Pontarelli, Antonelli and Zion are very skilled and love Quince and Ulrick who for the most part fly under the radar but so effective - both guys you dislike if you're playing against them but would take them on your team in a heartbeat.

Anyways, ends a great chapter to another CCHL season - next is the draft as teams start to build for a respective championship. Some coaching vacancies to fill, maybe some new ownership in a few organizations? I'm predicting another great season of parity starting next fall. All this talk about fees concerns me but I still don't think it will compromise the overall quality of the hockey.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Just heard rumour in B'ville:

Adam Gibson new GM
Taureen White new head coach

Not a rumour.....was announced by the Braves via Twitter. I've never heard of these guys. I see that White is only 27. Anyone know if he's coached before?

sawagohabs4ever

Nov 26, 2010
Not a rumour.....was announced by the Braves via Twitter. I've never heard of these guys. I see that White is only 27. Anyone know if he's coached before?

White played in the CJ and was an Assistant with Nepean for several years before trying his hand at Head Coaching with the Major Midget Wild AAA team this past winter. He was also involved with the OSPC gym and their skating treadmill in the past few years. Not sure where he was before that.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
:bb:
http://www.recorder.ca/2013/05/08/braves-introduce-new-brass

White was an assistant coach last year for Ottawa 67s major midgets,Gibson was an assistant coach for the Braves.

You can quote me in 2014 "This is a high risk move". First off, good for White and his sidekick Gibby - and good luck. Yes, coaching and development is very important, of course. But, I think the key for the Braves will be to find a few stars; you know, difference-makers down the stretch and into the playoffs. Do they have these guys now? Nope. Will they get them this season? Maybe ownership is banking on White's connections? The fact (or rumour) that the team is on the market is not going to help the situation. If you're a skilled player in high demand, would you rather take a chance with an unproven coach & staff, or would you want to play for a stable and successful organization?

Maybe the whole purpose of this exercise is to explode the team and start building from the ground up. Risky business. A coaching career has to start at some point and I really don't know this guy, but taking the leap to the junior level AND being promoted to coach at the same time may be setting the bar a little high.

Good luck Brockville. It would be nice to have them in the playoffs. :bb:

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Bantam Protects

does anyone know when the Bantam protects fro each team will be announced?

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010

You can quote me in 2014 "This is a high risk move". First off, good for White and his sidekick Gibby - and good luck. Yes, coaching and development is very important, of course. But, I think the key for the Braves will be to find a few stars; you know, difference-makers down the stretch and into the playoffs. Do they have these guys now? Nope. Will they get them this season? Maybe ownership is banking on White's connections? The fact (or rumour) that the team is on the market is not going to help the situation. If you're a skilled player in high demand, would you rather take a chance with an unproven coach & staff, or would you want to play for a stable and successful organization?

Maybe the whole purpose of this exercise is to explode the team and start building from the ground up. Risky business. A coaching career has to start at some point and I really don't know this guy, but taking the leap to the junior level AND being promoted to coach at the same time may be setting the bar a little high.

Very good points. I believe in order to be successful in the league you have to recruit. You need the star 19 & 20 year olds. Case in point Cornwall with 12 imports Nepean with 9. Both these teams in finals. Compared to Glouc with 4. Gloucester on the other hand is good at drafting local kids. I remember about 8 players drafted by Glouc in last few years going on to major Junior. Maybe they are too good at drafting. The problem the good players want to move on because the team is not competitive with all these young draft picks. Or they ask to be traded because of the same reason. Pembroke used to be good at recruiting along with B'ville, but I think without Sheldon in Pemb it has declined and without Gill and Mayo in B'ville the same has happened. SF appears to recruit, but I think they have an OHL pipeline. CP is also good at recruiting. If some teams are going to recruit, then all teams have to in order to compete.

sawagohabs4ever

Nov 26, 2010

Every team would like to find a few stars - whether your coach is a 1st timer or the second coming of Scotty Bowman - that's hardly a radical angle - in fact too many people think that equates to guaranteed success. But regardless of the number of stars you have, you still need to develop them and the supporting cast so if White is considered a good developer then he could be very successful.

I don't know White well but I have seen him run a practice and I liked what I saw - lot's of high tempo drills, very positive and upbeat but at the same time not afraid to demand effort and execution. For the record, he was coaching with the CCHL Raiders prior to taking the job at Major Midget so he does have Junior coaching experience not to mention he played at that level.

And by all accounts he did a good job with the Wild this past year, guiding the program to it's first playoff appearance in a number of years. Considering he only had one player move up from the Minor Midget team from the year before and recruited several releases from other programs to form his team, that speaks to his ability to coach and develop. And obviously the coach with the 67's must have liked what he saw during the year to ask White to join his staff for the Telus Cup.

A lot more factors determine program success and time will tell but I think they could do a lot worse and it's nice to see another new face behind a CCHL bench.

CCHLhockeyfan

Apr 13, 2013
Coach White

Every team would like to find a few stars - whether your coach is a 1st timer or the second coming of Scotty Bowman - that's hardly a radical angle - in fact too many people think that equates to guaranteed success. But regardless of the number of stars you have, you still need to develop them and the supporting cast so if White is considered a good developer then he could be very successful.

I don't know White well but I have seen him run a practice and I liked what I saw - lot's of high tempo drills, very positive and upbeat but at the same time not afraid to demand effort and execution. For the record, he was coaching with the CCHL Raiders prior to taking the job at Major Midget so he does have Junior coaching experience not to mention he played at that level.

And by all accounts he did a good job with the Wild this past year, guiding the program to it's first playoff appearance in a number of years. Considering he only had one player move up from the Minor Midget team from the year before and recruited several releases from other programs to form his team, that speaks to his ability to coach and develop. And obviously the coach with the 67's must have liked what he saw during the year to ask White to join his staff for the Telus Cup.

A lot more factors determine program success and time will tell but I think they could do a lot worse and it's nice to see another new face behind a CCHL bench.

Mr. White is a players coach. The connection that white had with his player in Nepean was amazing. He expects the most out of his players and knows the ways to get the best out of them. Look at that year, he was key in Mac Weegar's Development and Key in Ryan Johnston ability to think defensively at times even though being offensive minded.

One thing that Coach White has is a loud voice! You could hear him from the other end of the sportsplex sometimes. IMO He knows his hockey and knows how to get the best out of every player.

Brockville could be a scary team under Coach White. Especially with his rowdiness and that barns rowdiness... Its gonna be extremely rowdy every game and especially those against the Raiders this year if PG comes back!

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
Mr. White is a players coach. The connection that white had with his player in Nepean was amazing. He expects the most out of his players and knows the ways to get the best out of them. Look at that year, he was key in Mac Weegar's Development and Key in Ryan Johnston ability to think defensively at times even though being offensive minded.

One thing that Coach White has is a loud voice! You could hear him from the other end of the sportsplex sometimes. IMO He knows his hockey and knows how to get the best out of every player.

Brockville could be a scary team under Coach White. Especially with his rowdiness and that barns rowdiness... Its gonna be extremely rowdy every game and especially those against the Raiders this year if PG comes back!

I get what you and Habs4 are saying, BUT... White jumps around from one team to another... Why? As in the corporate world, you don't want a guy that is so ambitious that he'll jump ship year-to-year boosting his CV until you realize he's in it for himself. Don't get me wrong, he might be very well what the Braves need for now and like I said, I hope they are competitive going deep in the playoffs. It's just risky business and he seems to be getting exposure with all the moving around he's done; without being aware of the circumstances of his musical chairs. Now, if he plants his roots in Brockville and builds the team to be a contender this year, next year and beyond, well then my argument doesn't stand up for squat.

Getting back to my original point, finding those stars and difference-makers... Will they want to roll the dice in Brockville? or, decide to play for an established/consistent organization that hasn't fired their coach and GM and doesn't have the team up for sale allegedly - and I'm talking about (in no particular order) NR, OJS, CPC, CC, SFB...

White did not COACH at the junior level. Yes, he coached at the midget level and jumped ship or was let go - that's my point.

CCHLhockeyfan

Apr 13, 2013
What is with all the CCHL Niagara commitments?

Nasca from Nepean
Harper from Pembroke
Plouffe from Kanata
Weidauer from CP
Luke and Brock Edwards from CP
Larry Smith from CP

Could this be a potential CCHL all-star team playing Div 1?

Also am very impressed with the amount of commitments this year! Some also to great schools academically and to some of the top Div1 organizations! Also some Div 3 teams with quite the uprise.

That's what this league is all about! Still waiting on some commitments though!

Nepean: Neil, Durocher (CIS),Williams, Watt, Hodgson, Yarwood, Llorca

Cornwall: Spink (future), Zion, Antonelli, Quince, Johnston, Piccollino, Belizario

Brockville: Molino,

Hawkesbury: Varrin, Amiarrato (if that's how you spell it)

Cumberlund: Golberg, DeBrincat, Bennett

Gloucester: Rosebrook, White

Ottawa: Clitsome, King, Millen (CIS)

Pembroke: Dalpe, Biard, Smith

Carleton Place: Bayliss, O'Neill (CIS), Martin

Kemptville: Hendsbee, Nowak, Seatter, Blais

Kanata: Cobbold, Rivers (OHL or Stay or leave to another league)

Smith Falls: Disipio, McCartney, Marchand, Crete, Lussier (QMJHL or maybe another team)

Also for the guys drafted to the USHL, will they go?

Pontarelli, Buoncontri, Molino, DeBrincat, Plouffe?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Kemptville 73s Spring Camp

Went to the spring camp in Stittsville last weekend. I didn't see a great deal of talent. There were a few that looked good. Arabia? from Thunder Bay looked really good, and fast and St. Marseille's younger brother was pretty good too. I didnt see Jacob Smith there which was a surprise to me. Nowak looked really good and so did Hensbee and Hanson. Blasco also looked good. If he can stop being an idiot with a face mask, and try being an instagator without one, he should be good. It bugs me when a guy with a cage on goes after someone who doesn't. Actually all the vets looked pretty good. There were a couple of good vet and rookie lines with good chemistry. Goal tending looked a little soft though except for the Chilton kid and another from Ohio. I am glad they made the personel changes they made, finally. So begins another re-build. Hopefully it will be done correctly.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Nasca from Nepean
Harper from Pembroke
Plouffe from Kanata
Weidauer from CP
Luke and Brock Edwards from CP
Larry Smith from CP

Could this be a potential CCHL all-star team playing Div 1?

Also am very impressed with the amount of commitments this year! Some also to great schools academically and to some of the top Div1 organizations! Also some Div 3 teams with quite the uprise.

That's what this league is all about! Still waiting on some commitments though!
Also for the guys drafted to the USHL, will they go?

Pontarelli, Buoncontri, Molino, DeBrincat, Plouffe?

Good list. I've added/made changes below.

Nepean: Neil, Durocher (CIS),Williams, Watt, Hodgson, Yarwood, Llorca

Cornwall: Spink (future), Zion, Antonelli, Quince, Johnston, Piccollino, Belizario, Edwardson?

Brockville: Molino, Blasko, Roll, Ferreira?

Hawkesbury: Varrin, Amiarrato (if that's how you spell it)

Cumberlund: Golberg, DeBrincat, Bennett, Kruse, Douglas?

Gloucester: Rosebrook, White

Ottawa: Clitsome, King, Millen (CIS), Racine, Deschamps?

Pembroke: Dalpe, Biard, Smith

Carleton Place: Bayliss (played in the Q), O'Neill (CIS), Martin (staying at Carleton), Laforest (all academic team)

Kemptville: Hendsbee, Nowak, Seatter, Blais

Kanata: Cobbold, Rivers (Playing for Kingston Vees)

Smith Falls: Disipio, McCartney, Marchand, Crete, Lussier (QMJHL or maybe another team)

CCHLhockeyfan

Apr 13, 2013
Looks like you can add Akeson of SF to this list. Committed to Niagara for this coming season.

Ya i missed that one LOL that was supposed to be the part that made it clear to me.

Also Roll just committed to Amherst College, Div 3

Im not sure if Blasko will ever get a Div 1 as he isnt a difference maker by any means and seems to get a lot of "phantom" points when he isnt even on the ice. Scouts see that.

Zola

Feb 8, 2008
Ya i missed that one LOL that was supposed to be the part that made it clear to me.

Also Roll just committed to Amherst College, Div 3

Im not sure if Blasko will ever get a Div 1 as he isnt a difference maker by any means and seems to get a lot of "phantom" points when he isnt even on the ice. Scouts see that.

Benny has quite a large number of Div. 3 offers. No Div. 1 though.

sawagohabs4ever

Nov 26, 2010
I get what you and Habs4 are saying, BUT... White jumps around from one team to another... Why? As in the corporate world, you don't want a guy that is so ambitious that he'll jump ship year-to-year boosting his CV until you realize he's in it for himself. Don't get me wrong, he might be very well what the Braves need for now and like I said, I hope they are competitive going deep in the playoffs. It's just risky business and he seems to be getting exposure with all the moving around he's done; without being aware of the circumstances of his musical chairs. Now, if he plants his roots in Brockville and builds the team to be a contender this year, next year and beyond, well then my argument doesn't stand up for squat.

Getting back to my original point, finding those stars and difference-makers... Will they want to roll the dice in Brockville? or, decide to play for an established/consistent organization that hasn't fired their coach and GM and doesn't have the team up for sale allegedly - and I'm talking about (in no particular order) NR, OJS, CPC, CC, SFB...

White did not COACH at the junior level. Yes, he coached at the midget level and jumped ship or was let go - that's my point.

So just stirring the pot - dude, or do you have something against Toe White because you sure seem intent finding problems with him even though you don't apparently have any first hand knowledge or anything of substance to share.

White did not "jump around" as you put it and I don't have a clue what you are trying to say with the comment about getting exposure from moving around - what does that even mean?!?!

The guy spent several years with the Raiders in the CCHL - how many I don't know but that's where he was when I first heard of him. He moved down to Major Midget as far as I know because he wanted a larger role in Nepean but it wasn't there. I do know when first approached he resisted the offer and took a long time before accepting as he negotiated with Nepean. I know for a fact he was not let go. The Wild would have gladly had him back but he was intent on getting back to Junior 'A'.

As for questioning his ambition - who the hell is coaching at this level who isn't looking to move up and make coaching a full time career?!?!? Or do you think there are guys in this league putting in full time hours coaching for next to nothing simply for the love of the game?

And one final point - any one behind a bench is a COACH. They're called Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches but they're all COACHES and they all were rookies at it at one time or another.

Dude - I don't agree with everyone on the board and don't expect everyone to agree with me but at least make sense and have something real to say when you want to knock someone, otherwise save it.

sportsdude

Mar 30, 2013
Nothing against White

So just stirring the pot - dude, or do you have something against Toe White because you sure seem intent finding problems with him even though you don't apparently have any first hand knowledge or anything of substance to share.

White did not "jump around" as you put it and I don't have a clue what you are trying to say with the comment about getting exposure from moving around - what does that even mean?!?!

The guy spent several years with the Raiders in the CCHL - how many I don't know but that's where he was when I first heard of him. He moved down to Major Midget as far as I know because he wanted a larger role in Nepean but it wasn't there. I do know when first approached he resisted the offer and took a long time before accepting as he negotiated with Nepean. I know for a fact he was not let go. The Wild would have gladly had him back but he was intent on getting back to Junior 'A'.

As for questioning his ambition - who the hell is coaching at this level who isn't looking to move up and make coaching a full time career?!?!? Or do you think there are guys in this league putting in full time hours coaching for next to nothing simply for the love of the game?

And one final point - any one behind a bench is a COACH. They're called Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches but they're all COACHES and they all were rookies at it at one time or another.

Dude - I don't agree with everyone on the board and don't expect everyone to agree with me but at least make sense and have something real to say when you want to knock someone, otherwise save it.

I guess I struck a nerve. Were you getting a root canal done while you composed this hissy fit? And no, assistant coach is not a coach. Like I said, and you may have missed it, good luck to both of these guys... but my underlying point is that if they don't step up recruitment and get some better talent like some of the other teams are attracting, they may not even make the playoffs.

What has White accomplished really? Moving from Napean (one of 4 assistants, 2 seasons - not several as you stated), from one midget team as coach to another as an assistant - WOW! And Gibson? I also said that if this duo plants their roots and builds a contender this year and beyond I will gladly admit the RISK paid off... RISK, get it? That was my original point. It is risky to make these changes while the team is on the block. What don't you understand about that? And about making sense, what makes sense to some doesn't to others. Remove the blinders and you might grasp what I'm saying.

B'bye habs 4! :thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad