CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
So just stirring the pot - dude, or do you have something against Toe White because you sure seem intent finding problems with him even though you don't apparently have any first hand knowledge or anything of substance to share.

White did not "jump around" as you put it and I don't have a clue what you are trying to say with the comment about getting exposure from moving around - what does that even mean?!?!

The guy spent several years with the Raiders in the CCHL - how many I don't know but that's where he was when I first heard of him. He moved down to Major Midget as far as I know because he wanted a larger role in Nepean but it wasn't there. I do know when first approached he resisted the offer and took a long time before accepting as he negotiated with Nepean. I know for a fact he was not let go. The Wild would have gladly had him back but he was intent on getting back to Junior 'A'.

As for questioning his ambition - who the hell is coaching at this level who isn't looking to move up and make coaching a full time career?!?!? Or do you think there are guys in this league putting in full time hours coaching for next to nothing simply for the love of the game?
And one final point - any one behind a bench is a COACH. They're called Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches but they're all COACHES and they all were rookies at it at one time or another.

Dude - I don't agree with everyone on the board and don't expect everyone to agree with me but at least make sense and have something real to say when you want to knock someone, otherwise save it.

Agree with all except the highlighted

dirk

Jun 17, 2009
Trading 20 yr old cards?

Just reading up on the trades and noticed teams can now trade 20 year old cards?...is this part of the new pay to play structure that is pushing the league to go younger?

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Millen to CIS

Charlie Millen has committed to Laurentian University (Sudbury) of the CIS. This will be Laurentian's first team since 2000. He can probably expect to see lots of rubber.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Just reading up on the trades and noticed teams can now trade 20 year old cards?...is this part of the new pay to play structure that is pushing the league to go younger?

Interesting. If you add this to the article on what the OJHL is doing I would be thinking this:

If teams are allowed to set the player fee and there is no minimum, then the rich teams will buy 20 year old cards and charge them very little to play. The poorer/city teams will stock up on 16 and 17 year olds and charge them the league maximum.

I doubt this will increase the parity in the league.

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Interesting. If you add this to the article on what the OJHL is doing I would be thinking this:

If teams are allowed to set the player fee and there is no minimum, then the rich teams will buy 20 year old cards and charge them very little to play. The poorer/city teams will stock up on 16 and 17 year olds and charge them the league maximum.

I doubt this will increase the parity in the league.

Very interesting analysis and I agree. However, it will be a business decision. I spoke with an owner recently that admitted his operating losses in the past 6 years were in the order of $750,000. Without a better model many teams will simply fold. Parity will be a minor issue.

A proposed cost of $3,000 to $4,000 plus billeting per year is reasonable. Perhaps parents and players will do what they did in minor hockey: fundraising.

Perhaps parents and players can seek personal, business and corporate sponsorships. Perhaps many of the HF Board members would become sponsors of deserving you players.

Last edited:

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Very interesting analysis and I agree. However, it will be a business decision. I spoke with an owner recently that admitted his operating losses in the past 6 years were in the order of $750,000. Without a better model many teams will simply fold. Parity will be a minor issue.

A proposed cost of $3,000 to $4,000 plus billeting per year is reasonable. Perhaps parents and players will do what they did in minor hockey: fundraising.

Perhaps parents and players can seek personal, business and corporate sponsorships. Perhaps many of the HF Board members would become sponsors of deserving you players.

Wow, he must be an awesome businessman!!! Not sure how you could lose this kind of money unless you're bringing in 0 fans to each game.

Can anyone break down the individual costs for a team (ice, refs, equipment, transportation, etc.)? I believe the players currently pay around $1000 to play and I would assume that most of this goes back to the teams. Again, I can't really fathom how you could lose $125,000 per season.

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
RBC Semis

RBC semi-final match-ups are set for Saturday.

Brooks Bandits vs. Minnesota Wilderness
Surrey Eagles vs. Summerside Western Capital

In the round robin Brooks defeated Minnesota, 6-2 while Surrey won in O/T over Summerside. This is the first time Alberta & BC teams have not had to knock the other out to attend the national finals. These teams finished at the top of the round robin standings. Will they meet in the final? TSN are broadcasting the final game @ 6 PM EDST on Sunday.

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Wow, he must be an awesome businessman!!! Not sure how you could lose this kind of money unless you're bringing in 0 fans to each game.

Can anyone break down the individual costs for a team (ice, refs, equipment, transportation, etc.)? I believe the players currently pay around $1000 to play and I would assume that most of this goes back to the teams. Again, I can't really fathom how you could lose $125,000 per season.

He is an "awesome" business person that writes cheques in order that 22 deserving young men play hockey at a high level.

It is not difficult to construct a pro forma budget. It costs $250,000 to $300,000 for a Jr A club to operate depending on what the coaches and staff are paid.

If the club has 100 fans per game. You could easily lose $125,000 per year.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
He is an "awesome" business person that writes cheques in order that 22 deserving young men play hockey at a high level.

It is not difficult to construct a pro forma budget. It costs $250,000 to $300,000 for a Jr A club to operate depending on what the coaches and staff are paid.

If the club has 100 fans per game. You could easily lose $125,000 per year.

Well, if you can't get more than 100 fans per game, then obviously you shouldn't be running a Junior A team. And I doubt he's losing that kind if money out of the goodness in his heart. Probably has or had kids on the team.

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Well, if you can't get more than 100 fans per game, then obviously you shouldn't be running a Junior A team. And I doubt he's losing that kind if money out of the goodness in his heart. Probably has or had kids on the team.

Of course the owner has kids on the team. He has 22 kids and it costs him almost $6,000 each per year.

Last edited:

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Of course the owner has kids on the team. He has 22 kids and it costs him almost $6,000 each per year.

Tell him to do some marketing or get some sponsors on board or shut the team down if he doesn't like it.100 fans will not miss it. He should be forced to release all his players so they can go. Play for free somewhere else,

eddyshack

Apr 30, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Tell him to do some marketing or get some sponsors on board or shut the team down if he doesn't like it.100 fans will not miss it. He should be forced to release all his players so they can go. Play for free somewhere else,

That is very good advice BigBuck. Contraction has already taken place in the OJHL. It probably should take place in the CCHL too. It appears the City teams are just not feasible. Now where do you suggest these young men play ?

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010

Well said :shakehead. The guy's either an idiot, a bad businessman or he's losing money so that his "own" kids can play in the CCHL.

Last edited:

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
That is very good advice BigBuck. Contraction has already taken place in the OJHL. It probably should take place in the CCHL too. It appears the City teams are just not feasible. Now where do you suggest these young men play ?

Midget, JrB, USHL, Prep schools, Beer Leagues ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad