Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine (26% retained) and J. Roslovic [PART II] (MOD WARNING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine isnt any one of those guys.

While you are betting on Laine reaching another level, i am excited to see Dubois in a more offensive system, behind Schiefele, with potentially seeing time with elite offensive talent like Wheeler/Connor/Schiefele (PP). Should have Ehlers on his wing too.

Well I did say Laine isn’t on their level, but neither has Dubois proven to be a franchise C. 60 points doesn’t get you there as of today.

He’ll get quality linemates in Winnipeg but he’ll always play behind their next Captain Scheifele.
He’s not going to be the guy anymore. So it can go both ways, time will tell with Dubois.

My post was more on your C over W everytime.
If they are equal in talent then sure, but just look at how Panarin worked with pretty mehh C last year, Hart finalist.
Okay 1C doesn’t have the skills to raise his line as much/carry his mehh linemates as well as someone line Panarin can, or Kane, or Kucherov, or Pasta

Reactions: Toe Pick

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Well I did say Laine isn’t on their level, but neither has Dubois proven to be a franchise C. 60 points doesn’t get you there as of today.

He’ll get quality linemates in Winnipeg but he’ll always play behind their next Captain Scheifele.
He’s not going to be the guy anymore. So it can go both ways, time will tell with Dubois.

My post was more on your C over W everytime.
If they are equal in talent then sure, but just look at how Panarin worked with pretty mehh C last year, Hart finalist.
Okay 1C doesn’t have the skills to raise his line as much/carry his mehh linemates as well as someone line Panarin can, or Kane, or Kucherov, or Pasta
Regardless of what we label him, Dubois and Laine are of similar skill/value in terms of their position.

I think Dubois will benefit from not being "the guy". He will get easier matchups playing behind the 1st line. Still with great talent (likely Ehlers).

And yes, i didnt say C over W everytime. But when they are so close in skill, i take the C. Dubois is a more complete player who i like more.

(not related but yeah i think Panarin should have won the Hart)

Reactions: BB88

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'd argue that Dubois is closer to Kopitar/Bergeron than Laine is to Kucherov or Kane right now.

It seems like most people are convinced he is going to mutate into a 50 goal guy on a less offensive team. I mean, I hope they're right! But...

Reactions: rubikscube

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I'd argue that Dubois is closer to Kopitar/Bergeron than Laine is to Kucherov or Kane right now.

It seems like most people are convinced he is going to mutate into a 50 goal guy on a less offensive team. I mean, I hope they're right! But...

He could have easily been a 50 goal guy since rookie season if not for his role and how Jets wanted to mould him.

Now he will have the role he has wanted. And Columbus has at least two young centers I put ahead Little and Stastny.

Not concerned at all about quality of linemates. Laine will be relied upon and that's what makes him tick. His linemates will greatly benefit and so will Jones/Werenski. Laine benefits from that back end too, a lot.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Lost a lot of respect for PLD for giving up on his team. I get he wanted a trade but going out there and not trying sets a terrible precedent.

I get Columbus needed to make a move now but this guy deserved to sit for a season. Total quitter.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
He could have easily been a 50 goal guy since rookie season if not for his role and how Jets wanted to mould him.

Now he will have the role he has wanted. And Columbus has at least two young centers I put ahead Little and Stastny.

Not concerned at all about quality of linemates. Laine will be relied upon and that's what makes him tick. His linemates will greatly benefit and so will Jones/Werenski. Laine benefits from that back end too, a lot.

How many 50 goal guys are there exactly in the NHL? The elite players mentioned are closer to 40 goal guys granted they are more playmakers but still...

Laine will be relied upon but this is a different system without Schiefele, on a less offensive system. I'm not trying to say he won't score 30-40 goals.

Just that Dubois if he gets 25-30 is a more valuable player, because of his position and his style of play. Texier and Domi might be better, but they just aren't as proven. I'm beginning to think Roslovic is going to tilt the cards.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
How many 50 goal guys are there exactly in the NHL? The elite players mentioned are closer to 40 goal guys granted they are more playmakers but still...

Laine will be relied upon but this is a different system without Schiefele, on a less offensive system. I'm not trying to say he won't score 30-40 goals.

Just that Dubois if he gets 25-30 is a more valuable player, because of his position and his style of play. Texier and Domi might be better, but they just aren't as proven. I'm beginning to think Roslovic is going to tilt the cards.

I know there aren't many 50 goal scorers, but there are zero shooters of his level as well.

It has been underutilized and mismanaged. I know it sounds a lot but I see him hitting 50 on low years (obviously adjusted to 82 gm schedule). Just has to be the focal point of offense. But that's what you should do when you have something others don't, use that advantage.

We've been watching a 60% Laine so far.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I know there aren't many 50 goal scorers, but there are zero shooters of his level as well.

It has been underutilized and mismanaged. I know it sounds a lot but I see him hitting 50 on low years (obviously adjusted to 82 gm schedule). Just has to be the focal point of offense. But that's what you should do when you have something others don't, use that advantage.

We've been watching a 60% Laine so far.
I get the love for Laine I really do but you cant say there are zero shooters of Laines caliber in a world where Alex Ovechkin exists. I hope he comes into Columbus and lights the world on fire and sparks this team but Ovi is the greatest goal scorer this game has ever seen

Reactions: hn777

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I get the love for Laine I really do but you cant say there are zero shooters of Laines caliber in a world where Alex Ovechkin exists. I hope he comes into Columbus and lights the world on fire and sparks this team but Ovi is the greatest goal scorer this game has ever seen

I have said it since Laine was 17 and nothing has really changed that opinion.

Maybe if I explain my criteria...I don't think Ovechkin is a top 3 shooter all time either but he IS the best goalscorer. He shoots a lot, from anywhere. He has a top notch onetimer and a very good wrist shot. If you look at where Ovechkin scores from, his average distance to goal is probably 10 feet closer to net than Laine's.

The more you will watch Laine, you'll see that his accuracy isn't normal at all. He hardly misfires and the target area his shots hit just seems smaller than everyone elses. And the velocity has been proven to be higher than Ovechkins or most of any fwds, he was challenging Weber for the hardest shot at 19 years old in ASG and I know he has shot several times over 103 mph.

And on top of that, the quickness of release. Well, you'll see. Goalies don't so that's a great thing!

I won't disagree with you on whose been the best goal scorer, that's an easy one. Laine just has a better shot. And if used right it can be an unfair advantage. It just hasn't been used to full potential. His effective range is so much bigger inside the offensive zone. He scores at the same rate as other top scorers do from the slot, but from much further outside the slot. There are heat maps somewhere to illustrate that but I don't have the energy to dig them out. When it comes to shooting he is one of a kind so far.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
50 goal seasons on the low end in this era in that lineup?

Ovechkin has been hitting 50s pretty constantly in this era. Lineups change too. Don't underestimate the effect of finally becoming the go to guy on offense. It's a different situation than in Winnipeg.

Lineup is less of a factor. Laine has scored with lesser talent around him, people who have understood that they should try and get some room for Patty to shoot. He wants to be the head chef, and his history suggests he excels when relied on. So this should work well with Jackets. Laine lacked minutes and finisher role, they have demand in both.

Last edited by a moderator:

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Ovechkin has been hitting 50s pretty constantly in this era. Lineups change too. Don't underestimate the effect of finally becoming the go to guy on offense. It's a different situation than in Winnipeg.

Lineup is less of a factor. Laine has scored with lesser talent around him, people who have understood that they should try and get some room for Patty to shoot. He wants to be the head chef, and his history suggests he excels when relied on. So this should work well with Jackets. Laine lacked minutes and finisher role, they have demand in both.

Ovechkin has had Backstrom and Kuznetsov on the powerplay and Washington generally has been ridiculously potent on the powerplay. OV is the only guy who is a 50 goal scorer.

Laine had the ridiculous forward depth on the PP in Winnipeg to boost his goal totals. Are you telling me you think he's better than OV?

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Like most Jet fans, I will be watching and cheering for Patty and Jack to do well for your team.

Why wouldn't we, they were good guys while they were in Winnipeg.

Of course, should we meet in the playoffs..... we won't be cheering as hard for them. Lol

Not sure what to expect from Pierre-Luc, but our top six is pretty sick!

Good Luck Columbus fans!

Reactions: hn777 and Opado

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Why did Laine need to be traded? And if there was no urgency Chevaldayoff got ripped off beacause he should have held out for more. He should have known that no one was going to offer anything close to Laine & Roslovic.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

This is biggest load of nonsense I can recall in my time on these boards but you'll never admit to it. Congrats on sticking to the script I guess.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
This is biggest load of nonsense I can recall in my time on these boards but you'll never admit to it. Congrats on sticking to the script I guess.

Well it's not like you're making any sort of arguments against it other than an emotional one. What I said was based on verifiable evidence.

You can always feel otherwise but I just stated facts. Laine is more accurate and his shots are faster in velocity. Those are measurable and have been measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad