When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
2003 ALCS. Aaron F'n Boone.

I didn't cry but I was so angry. I had an anger problem back then and sports filled the voids that I had in my life emotionally. Playoffs were the most important things to me at that time in my life (early 20s).

After that homerun, I punched a few walls, and I broke a futon in my apartment. I sort of thought I was good to go and went downstairs and outside to my car to go to work that evening and I saw my crowbar and tools in the backseat (old crappy 92 Subaru legacy). I proceeded to smash a few windows and mirrors and a couple lights. Drove to work (was about 1 mile away) and then parked my car and started to vent again by just wailing on the car for about 10-15 minutes.

Cops were called and they asked me what I was doing. I told them I was pissed off and wanted to hit my car. Cops were surprised to hear it was my car and asked for ID and registration. They then asked what the reason was I was doing this for. I told them the Yankees pissed me off. They kind of rolled their eyes and asked me to stop because I was scaring some of the factory workers.

I went into work and didn't talk to anyone all night. Coworkers would say hi and ask questions and I just couldn't talk lol.

I have since gotten much calmer in life and those days are past. LOL

For hockey I was at game 7 of the Hurricanes Bruins series in 08/09. That team was so much fun to watch. After the Scott Walker OT goal, I kind of just crumpled into my seat and didn't move until I was asked to leave by TD Garden personnel. That team was so much fun to watch and a lot of us thought they were due for a deep playoff run that year.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
2003 ALCS. Aaron F'n Boone.

I didn't cry but I was so angry. I had an anger problem back then and sports filled the voids that I had in my life emotionally. Playoffs were the most important things to me at that time in my life (early 20s).

After that homerun, I punched a few walls, and I broke a futon in my apartment. I sort of thought I was good to go and went downstairs and outside to my car to go to work that evening and I saw my crowbar and tools in the backseat (old crappy 92 Subaru legacy). I proceeded to smash a few windows and mirrors and a couple lights. Drove to work (was about 1 mile away) and then parked my car and started to vent again by just wailing on the car for about 10-15 minutes.

Cops were called and they asked me what I was doing. I told them I was pissed off and wanted to hit my car. Cops were surprised to hear it was my car and asked for ID and registration. They then asked what the reason was I was doing this for. I told them the Yankees pissed me off. They kind of rolled their eyes and asked me to stop because I was scaring some of the factory workers.

I went into work and didn't talk to anyone all night. Coworkers would say hi and ask questions and I just couldn't talk lol.

I have since gotten much calmer in life and those days are past. LOL

For hockey I was at game 7 of the Hurricanes Bruins series in 08/09. That team was so much fun to watch. After the Scott Walker OT goal, I kind of just crumpled into my seat and didn't move until I was asked to leave by TD Garden personnel. That team was so much fun to watch and a lot of us thought they were due for a deep playoff run that year.

Yup, I was in the military then. I asked another guy to shoot me in the face with his m-16.

ok that didn't happen but that's how I felt. I felt bad for Wake who was in tears in the clubhouse after the game. RIP.

Reactions: DaveG and BB79

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've never cried after a loss whether it be in the regular season or the playoffs. Ever.

I have pounded my fist on the coffee table and howled with rage multiple times however. :laugh:
This is how men handle loss. We don't embarrass ourselves by crying about it. We embarrass ourselves by taking it out on whatever is nearby: coffee tables, walls, cell phones, friends, loved ones, small pets...

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I cant say i've ever cried after a loss, I just usually disconnect and turn it off as soon as the final buzzer went.

Cup Final, Game 7 in 2009 and Cup Final, Game 6 in 2017.

Didn't watch the celebration, just turned it off and havent willingly watched anything to do with it since.

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yup, I was in the military then. I asked another guy to shoot me in the face with his m-16.

ok that didn't happen but that's how I felt. I felt bad for Wake who was in tears in the clubhouse after the game. RIP.
I bet 86 Buckner had grown men weeping :laugh:

On a happier note, fall of 2004 was amazing. Red Sox about to play their final playoff game against NY, or so I thought. I remember thinking I might as well stay up and watch the whole thing, last chance to see a game at Fenway until April. From that point on watched every single game. When they won the WS it was more disbelief than anything. No one ever thought it would happen. That comeback from 3-1 down to NY was what made it better. So improbable

Reactions: DaveG

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I bet 86 Buckner had grown men weeping :laugh:

For sure. I believe Boggs was crying in the dugout or close to it. That's when athletes made far less and it was more about winning and the love of the game. Not that players today don't care a lot about their team's fate but it was like war back then.

This is how men handle loss. We don't embarrass ourselves by crying about it. We embarrass ourselves by taking it out on whatever is nearby: coffee tables, walls, cell phones, friends, loved ones, small pets...

Throw remote at the tv...

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Maybe once, in 2003 when we lost ECF game 7 against the Devils off that Jeff Friesen goal. I was pretty young at the time.

As an adult? Never. Also never destroyed anything in a fit of rage. Too many other things in life that are more important.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Can't say I've ever cried over a loss in any sport. As a Blues fan, most of the time my response was more like mumbling "what the f#*k did I expect?"

My heart was in my throat as the seconds ticked off in game 7 in 2019. I'm not sure if that was because I didn't think I would live to see the day the Blues won the Cup or because now that they had my time could be up (I've been watching them since 1969). I was expecting a meteor to hit the earth the following day.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
As a Panthers fan for 30 years, everything after making the playoffs is a bonus. I cry when people die.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
When I was younger back in the 80's I didn't cry but man I would get furious .....I once broke my electric typewriter after a loss .....I once threw my remote control across the room against the wall when the Blue Jays lost once.....it shattered into pieces but it felt good....I was a fairly bad loser when I was younger......when the Flames won the Cup in 89, that was the lowest point for me as a fan.....to this day I have never watched the highlights of that game 6......I think I almost hurled after that tragedy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad