Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I watch the game Ak Bars - Salavat Yulayev. Voronkov is great again. I like his join with Artem Balíkov (the prospech od Anaheim).

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Marchenko with the only goal in a 1-0 win. Goal came at the 57:42 mark. Must have been dramatic!

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Tarasov is one Ufa loss away from being "swept" to Cleveland :) See what I did there?

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Voronkov has a goal and an assist so far today. His team is up 3-0 in the series and 3-0 (as of mid 3rd period) in the game against Tarasov's team

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Wish Tarasov would come over and play in the A.

how do you guys see the current top 10 prospect list for the jackets? we are debating lists
in the prospect forum and don't see much columbus talk. love tarasov though, cool to
see him coming over. jarmo loves those non-NA goalies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tex had a pretty significant back injury. I’m am going to hold off on calling him a bust at this point. It also explains the difference in games they have played.

Plus, even with missing a ton of games because of a back injury, only 2 players drafted after Tex in 2017 have more points than he does — Maxime Comtois and Drake Batherson. Both those guys play for really crappy teams (Ducks, Sens) so I am guessing they are getting more opportunities as those teams are playing their youth. Batherson is the only guy drafted after Bemstrom with more points.

This website is something to look at before saying our draft picks are trending toward bust territory:

2017 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

Batherson, by the way, was born in Fort Wayne when his dad played for the Komets, which is pretty cool. For those of you from Finland or others ignorant in Midwestern geography, Fort Wayne is Indiana, but just across the border from Ohio.

--- Moving this here because of prospect content ---

I'm in total agreement that people can chill out about our prospects. These kids are so damn young. If they don't look like NHLers it shouldn't be surprising anyone. My only question is why the heck they aren't spending more time in the AHL. Isn't that where prospects like this are supposed to go?

Porty mentioned today that Bemstrom can't be assigned to the AHL because of his SHL out clause. But that's fine too, the SHL is better for him. He never got to the point where he was a topliner in that league. Give him another year or two in the SHL. Texier might only need a dozen games in the AHL to get his scoring confidence back, I'm still very bullish on him. Foudy should probably get a year there, I know he's helpful in the NHL now but for his long term development he could use another year in the AHL.

--------------------------------

Drake Batherson, by the way, is someone I've been hearing about since he was a kid because his family is friends with my cousin's family. His Dad Norm is from my hometown of North Sydney, N.S. Funny enough Drake wasn't considered much of a prospect until more recently. I saw more on facebook about his golf score than hockey up until his draft year. He looks like he could become a star player at this point. Like scratch golfers tend to, he has a wicked shot.

Reactions: koteka

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
how do you guys see the current top 10 prospect list for the jackets? we are debating lists
in the prospect forum and don't see much columbus talk. love tarasov though, cool to
see him coming over. jarmo loves those non-NA goalies.

ABGTC gave you our boards voted list, but if you want more reading my personal list is on page 7, posted not too long after the draft

Reactions: neelynugs

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Porty mentioned today that Bemstrom can't be assigned to the AHL because of his SHL out clause. But that's fine too, the SHL is better for him. He never got to the point where he was a topliner in that league. Give him another year or two in the SHL.
Bemstrom doesn’t need more European experience, he needs to learn to play on the smaller North American ice surface. Honestly I think if he goes back to Sweden his NHL career is likely over. He’ll be a career Euro. This whole situation is stupid and frustrating, CBJ have a kid with talent but he hasn’t been able to succeed jumping straight from Europe to the NHL, however he does not seem willing to accept a move to a league that could help him achieve his ultimate goal. It’s a no win situation.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Bemstrom doesn’t need more European experience, he needs to learn to play on the smaller North American ice surface. Honestly I think if he goes back to Sweden his NHL career is likely over. He’ll be a career Euro. This whole situation is stupid and frustrating, CBJ have a kid with talent but he hasn’t been able to succeed jumping straight from Europe to the NHL, however he does not seem willing to accept a move to a league that could help him achieve his ultimate goal. It’s a no win situation.

Think Bemstrom's overall game has improved quite a bit since he was reinserted back into the lineup, especially on the forecheck. Sucks he got hurt. Just weird he can't hit the net. He shot was so hyped

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

When Bemmer last played in Sweden he was a third liner that went on a tear on the PP. He wasn't too good for that league.

He was pretty good in the Liiga playing top six minutes earlier this year, but that was just sixteen games. I want him to have a full season at a lower level.

I'd prefer NA rink size but I think it might be overblown here. Liiga rink size is in between, by the way. 28m wide, compared to 30m by the old IIHF standard and 26m in the NHL. Obviously the best case scenario is that he waives his out clause and goes to the AHL. I don't think all is lost or that we'll never see him again if he goes to Europe. If we never see him again it would be because he just doesn't have the upside that we hoped. If he's as good as Jarmo thinks he will be then he'll be back in the NHL for his payday. It's not like the situation with Russians where they can get rich playing in the KHL. SHL is closer to AHL level salary.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Funny how people are low on Bemstrom but high on Texier when they produce the exact same, and Bemstrom continues to develop away from the puck and his strength is improving in board battles.

Bemstrom 22 P in 71 GP, Texier 23 P in 68 GP.

Bemstrom (2 year) career:
12:09 ATOI
10 G
12 A
8.8 S% (0% current)
50.5 CF%
50.2 FF%
57.0 oZS%
Most common line mates this year: Domi+Texier (29 mins) 0.7 xGF 0.6xGA
Most common line mates last year:
Milano+Dubois (92 mins) 4.7 xGF 3.5xGA

Texier’s (3 year) career:
13:38 ATOI
11 G
12 A
11.5 S% (9.8% current)
48.0 CF%
48.4 FF%
50.8 oZS%
Most common line mates this year: Foligno+Jenner (52 mins) 2.5 xGF 1.9 xGA
Most common line mates last year:
Robinson+Dubois (52 mins) 2.8 xGF 1.8 xGA

Bemstrom needs to play with Roslovic and Cam, or at least needs time to build chemistry with linemates. Bjorkstrand scored 11 as a 22 year old playing with Wennberg and Foligno with an ATOI of 14:18. Bemstrom is only 21. Give him time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
When Bemmer last played in Sweden he was a third liner that went on a tear on the PP. He wasn't too good for that league.

He was pretty good in the Liiga playing top six minutes earlier this year, but that was just sixteen games. I want him to have a full season at a lower level.

I'd prefer NA rink size but I think it might be overblown here. Liiga rink size is in between, by the way. 28m wide, compared to 30m by the old IIHF standard and 26m in the NHL. Obviously the best case scenario is that he waives his out clause and goes to the AHL. I don't think all is lost or that we'll never see him again if he goes to Europe. If we never see him again it would be because he just doesn't have the upside that we hoped. If he's as good as Jarmo thinks he will be then he'll be back in the NHL for his payday. It's not like the situation with Russians where they can get rich playing in the KHL. SHL is closer to AHL level salary.
  • You are mixing Liiga and SHL. On one hand you are saying he would be best served going home to the SHL (where he has an out clause for) and then you cite the hybrid size rink in Liiga. That doesn’t help at all.
  • It’s not just about rink size but mentality...how the game is played. The North American game is different. Just ask Elvis and V2 who both talked about it extensively when they first came over. Bemmer going back to the SHL and improving his Euro game doesn’t necessarily translate to improving his NA game.
  • Analogy: I played competitive racquetball in my younger days. I had a buddy I played with nearly daily. We pushed each other hard and had a lot of fun at the same time. But he was a lefty. In the end, playing a lefty four times a week when I was going to face rightys 80%+ of the time in tourneys didn't really help me succeed in tournaments. Same thing for Bemmer, he needs to improve his game playing the same style of game he is going to face in the NHL. Its not that Euro hockey is bad but as if right now it is still different.
  • I think Bemmer is on a one way contract. He makes just as much money in the AHL as he does in the NHL. So it’s not about the money, it’s about an unwillingness to do what the club thinks is best for his development (if that is what is really going on).
  • Bemmer’s all around game has improved but he’s supposed to be a scorer with this great shot. Right now he’s Stefan Matteau, skates hard but a near zero risk to score. We have half a dozen guys who can do that.
We all want him to succeed, I just don’t think going back to Europe gets him there. That’s going backwards at this point in his career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad