Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Funny how people are low on Bemstrom but high on Texier when they produce the exact same, and Bemstrom continues to develop away from the puck and his strength is improving in board battles.

Bemstrom 22 P in 71 GP, Texier 23 P in 68 GP.

Bemstrom (2 year) career:
12:09 ATOI
10 G
12 A
8.8 S% (0% current)
50.5 CF%
50.2 FF%
57.0 oZS%
Most common line mates this year: Domi+Texier (29 mins) 0.7 xGF 0.6xGA
Most common line mates last year:
Milano+Dubois (92 mins) 4.7 xGF 3.5xGA

Texier’s (3 year) career:
13:38 ATOI
11 G
12 A
11.5 S% (9.8% current)
48.0 CF%
48.4 FF%
50.8 oZS%
Most common line mates this year: Foligno+Jenner (52 mins) 2.5 xGF 1.9 xGA
Most common line mates last year:
Robinson+Dubois (52 mins) 2.8 xGF 1.8 xGA

Bemstrom needs to play with Roslovic and Cam, or at least needs time to build chemistry with linemates. Bjorkstrand scored 11 as a 22 year old playing with Wennberg and Foligno with an ATOI of 14:18. Bemstrom is only 21. Give him time.
Where did anyone say anything about Texier here?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Where did anyone say anything about Texier here?
Not anywhere explicitly, but people here talk about Texier as some future 1C type guy then proceed to talk about Bemstrom like he’s Maxim Mayorov.

Bemstrom needs confidence and I think that can be difficult playing under Torts. It sucks thatvhe got hurt because he was playing better before that.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Don't look now but Tyler Angle may be playing his way into a contract. Has looked good and is producing the AHL with Cleveland. Maybe our 1C prayers are answered? :sarcasm: In all seriousness, he is playing well and for a 7th round pick could be another solid depth guy. I know we need high end talent but depth is important too, especially depth with some skill.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
  • You are mixing Liiga and SHL. On one hand you are saying he would be best served going home to the SHL (where he has an out clause for) and then you cite the hybrid size rink in Liiga. That doesn’t help at all.
  • It’s not just about rink size but mentality...how the game is played. The North American game is different. Just ask Elvis and V2 who both talked about it extensively when they first came over. Bemmer going back to the SHL and improving his Euro game doesn’t necessarily translate to improving his NA game.
  • Analogy: I played competitive racquetball in my younger days. I had a buddy I played with nearly daily. We pushed each other hard and had a lot of fun at the same time. But he was a lefty. In the end, playing a lefty four times a week when I was going to face rightys 80%+ of the time in tourneys didn't really help me succeed in tournaments. Same thing for Bemmer, he needs to improve his game playing the same style of game he is going to face in the NHL. Its not that Euro hockey is bad but as if right now it is still different.
  • I think Bemmer is on a one way contract. He makes just as much money in the AHL as he does in the NHL. So it’s not about the money, it’s about an unwillingness to do what the club thinks is best for his development (if that is what is really going on).
  • Bemmer’s all around game has improved but he’s supposed to be a scorer with this great shot. Right now he’s Stefan Matteau, skates hard but a near zero risk to score. We have half a dozen guys who can do that.
We all want him to succeed, I just don’t think going back to Europe gets him there. That’s going backwards at this point in his career.

I get the analogy I just think it's overblown when it comes to rink width. It's a fun topic to bring up but there isn't any evidence, at least among skaters, that there is some years-long adjustment process or even a games-long adjustment process.

There are KHL teams with 30m width, 28m width, and 26m width. They all play each other, it's the same game. There are international tourneys where NA kids go and win on 30m ice, and there are also international tourneys where Euro kids go and win on 26m ice.

It's not going backwards with Bemmer because he never mastered Europe to begin with. It's not like he's a great Euro player that just need to learn the NA game. He needs to become better at hockey. Guys that have mastered Europe don't take years to figure out the NA game, they're at their level right away.

Reactions: koteka

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I get the analogy I just think it's overblown when it comes to rink width. It's a fun topic to bring up but there isn't any evidence, at least among skaters, that there is some years-long adjustment process or even a games-long adjustment process.

There are KHL teams with 30m width, 28m width, and 26m width. They all play each other, it's the same game. There are international tourneys where NA kids go and win on 30m ice, and there are also international tourneys where Euro kids go and win on 26m ice.

It's not going backwards with Bemmer because he never mastered Europe to begin with. It's not like he's a great Euro player that just need to learn the NA game. He needs to become better at hockey. Guys that have mastered Europe don't take years to figure out the NA game, they're at their level right away.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Encouraging but let's remember Emil Bemström has flopped since coming to nhl. Im keeping my expectations low until he starts really taking over games
That tweet is from his agent, I wouldn't expect anything less.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Encouraging but let's remember Emil Bemström has flopped since coming to nhl. Im keeping my expectations low until he starts really taking over games
And until the dinosaur behind the bench is let go ,that’s turned Laine now into an invisible player , I will keep the perspective that Bemstrom is still that player , he’s just stuck with a coach right now who doesn’t know how to coach today’s game . Next yr will be telling .

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'll start paying attention when he gets his career AHL sv% above .900.
Not to be the bringer of the obvious but have you seen the talent in Cleveland as well? Kivs has a good skill set and has yet to play in front of even an AHL defense/team. He's not a world beater but he's no afterthought either.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'll start paying attention when he gets his career AHL sv% above .900.
I am not the biggest Kivy honk but that's very unfair.

The kid was thrown into the AHL straight from the USHL as a 21 year old...and not a good situation at all. The Monsters were just starting a rebuild after losing all its best players. I think he was planning to go to college when Jarmo offered him a contract...his development timeline was thrown out the window.

So the fact he played in 40+ games his rookie year and struggled means he will likely never get his career Save Percentage over .900. I think the bar is: "has he shown improvement and does he look like a capable goalie". I don't know if he could be an NHLer, seeing how he is almost 25 it would be as a late bloomer but the last two seasons he has shown he can at least be a competent AHLer.

He's a nice emergency backup to have in the system at the moment and he might appeal to another team as well. I would have liked to see him playing in Cleveland this season rather than sitting on the Taxi Squad. Certainly next season he and Tarasov would make a nice AHL combo.

For the record, he would have to stop his next 359 shots in a row to reach .900. Assuming about 30 shots per game we are talking 12 straight shutouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: I3LI3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: