Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pyyhtia is a smart player but might be the physically weakest player on the ice in this USA-Finland matchup. I have a hard time seeing him ever strong enough to make the NHL.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Chinakhov is back, not near 100%. Still one of the fastest players on the ice, had a dangerous shot early on. But you can tell he can't pivot quickly.

And holy crap there is a pretty big talent discrepancy this year between Canada and Russia.
A game to forget ASAP

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Chinakhov is back, not near 100%. Still one of the fastest players on the ice, had a dangerous shot early on. But you can tell he can't pivot quickly.

And holy crap there is a pretty big talent discrepancy this year between Canada and Russia.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not too much hyperbole.

Podkolzin would make it, and play a checking role on Team Canada.
Askarov would make the team on pedigree, but he'd lose the starter job to Levi if things unfold as they did.
Amirov? Chinakhov? Well Seth Jarvis didn't even make Team Canada, so those two and any other forwards would definitely not make it.
None of the D would be even close, there are possibly 15 better Canadian D.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Pyyhtia is a smart player but might be the physically weakest player on the ice in this USA-Finland matchup. I have a hard time seeing him ever strong enough to make the NHL.
Strength comes fairly quickly with proper diet and work. If he puts in the work it wouldnt be the limiting factor from him making it or not

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Strength comes fairly quickly with proper diet and work. If he puts in the work it wouldnt be the limiting factor from him making it or not

It sometimes is the limiting factor. And keep in mind I'm comparing him to other teenagers. Every one of them needs to get stronger, and Pyyhtia is weak compared to them.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It sometimes is the limiting factor. And keep in mind I'm comparing him to other teenagers. Every one of them needs to get stronger, and Pyyhtia is weak compared to them.
In some cases it could almost be good in a weird way if prospects show skills and have an obvious glaring area to improve. One that is able to be improved by good old fashioned hard work no less. Might not be easy for him but with time its something fairly easily improved

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Chinakhov misses another breakaway, his finishing has been a major disappointment to me
I dont know if hes as explosive as normal after the injury so in this particular case he got caught from behind. Not sure if he got the shot he wanted or if he just straight up got beat by the goalie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I dont know if hes as explosive as normal after the injury so in this particular case he got caught from behind. Not sure if he got the shot he wanted or if he just straight up got beat by the goalie

He's still straight line the fastest guy, no issue there. But it's all straight line and shoot. No side-to-side deception or hard stops since he came back from the knee injury.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Ranking NHL’s best under-23 stars: Dahlin, Pettersson or Lafreniere at No. 1?
Ranking NHL's best under-23 stars: Dahlin, Pettersson or Lafreniere at No. 1?

Marchenko jumped to #50 from #69. PLD is # 17 below guys like Kakko, Dach and all the new shiny toys from the draft
Tex, Foudy, Voronkov and Bemmstrom also on the list within top 135 as I recall. Yeah, I think the list has a bit of work that needs to be done. Not necessarily CBJ players but the overall list just doesn't seem logical.

Reactions: cslebn

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
On a positive note, Pyyhtiä scored his first goal with the big boys in Finland. That's 5GP and 1G. I'd say he had an underwhelming World Juniors but hoping he can stick with the big club and be productive.

Reactions: majormajor

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Mikael Pyyhtiä now has two goals in his last three games...might need to find the kid more playing time. Overall its two goals in six games but he's only averaging like 10:30 TOI.

I saw TPS lost its captain for the season, maybe that means he's more likely to stick with the big club. And the team is currently headed towards the playoffs so extra experience for him perhaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: rotsbu

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Tarasov picked up a win stopping 31 of 33 shots. The kid is 8-3-1 and his .932 Save Percentage and 1.92 GAA would both be top four in the league if he could get more playing time. I wonder if its just politics...the veteran starter is winning games but his stats are way worse. Why they cannot give Tarasov more starts is baffling to me.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Tarasov picked up a win stopping 31 of 33 shots. The kid is 8-3-1 and his .932 Save Percentage and 1.92 GAA would both be top four in the league if he could get more playing time. I wonder if its just politics...the veteran starter is winning games but his stats are way worse. Why they cannot give Tarasov more starts is baffling to me.

Who starts against the good teams? Goalie stats can be misleading if the backup gets games against teams like Ottawa and Detroit and the starter gets the tougher games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad