Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm curious what keeps Foudy high on your list (and thanks for posting it). I haven't watched him for a second this year, so I have zero opinion - I've just seen some other posts on the prospect board indicating he's been pretty disappointing this season. Maybe they're just stat-watchers?

He reminds me a lot of Dubois. He doesn't put up the numbers (yet) that fans expect, so they say he isn't as good as he should be based on where he was drafted. I've only seen him play a couple of times, but he is always making something happen. IMO, he is going to be a really good player for us in the next year or two.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He reminds me a lot of Dubois. He doesn't put up the numbers (yet) that fans expect, so they say he isn't as good as he should be based on where he was drafted. I've only seen him play a couple of times, but he is always making something happen. IMO, he is going to be a really good player for us in the next year or two.

That makes sense. Thanks!

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'm curious what keeps Foudy high on your list (and thanks for posting it). I haven't watched him for a second this year, so I have zero opinion - I've just seen some other posts on the prospect board indicating he's been pretty disappointing this season. Maybe they're just stat-watchers?

Jackets16 summed it up pretty well. I also don't think his stat line's all that disappointing. I had hoped for more, sure, but over a point per game with 1:1 G/A is meeting, though not exceeding, my expectations. I think people can get overly caught up in stat lines (particularly junior stat lines) and ignore things that are arguably better indicators of future NHL success, like physical tools. Dubois is the obvious example, and his numbers were significantly worse than Foudy's. And Foudy's got the sort of physical tools nobody else in the pool can match. Look how much havoc Josh Anderson creates just with his speed. Foudy's even faster than him (not as big and strong, but he's certainly not tiny). Foudy gets the defense out of position just with his speed. He can take a team out of their gameplan and make them react in a way that so few other guys can. He might not hit his ceiling, but it's still the highest in the Jackets' prospect pool by some distance, in my opinion, which is why he's #1 for me.

The only takeaway I have from this is... you crazy haha. Gavrikov should be an A and #1 on that list!!! The guy has been playing top pairing for russian national team games for years now and he cant beat out a 19yo boom or bust guy?!?!?! I mean Im the opposite and penned him in the lineup the year after he was drafted but still!! Haha.

Anyways Ill give my own quick top 10. Ill do top 10 skaters though then do a separate goalie list because I cant rank where elvis should be between Gavrikov and say Abramov.

I will say that I thought about moving Gavrikov up to the B+ tier, but I decided against it because I don't know how much stock you can put into his numbers on what's basically an all-star team in the KHL. I'm not sure whether it's reasonable to project any sort of meaningful offensive production from him in the NHL. Still, I'd pencil him in as a top-six defenseman the day he comes over, and he's probably closer to Foudy at #1 for me than he is to Peeke at #3. I'd be very surprised if he turns out not to be at least a solid NHLer, but I just don't see him having that game-changer level of upside that Foudy has.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Just thought about something.......let's get a few others to rank/rate our prospects.
About early March the Prospects Issue of the Hockey news is published. They rank the top 10 of each franchise. It would be kinda fun to score each list against what a collection of experts say. The score could be 10 points for a correct 1st, 9 points for a correct 2nd, and so on......

Winner gets to bang on Stinger's drum, to stand in front of the cannon when the Jackets take the ice and a cookie from Viqsi.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just thought about something.......let's get a few others to rank/rate our prospects.
About early March the Prospects Issue of the Hockey news is published. They rank the top 10 of each franchise. It would be kinda fun to score each list against what a collection of experts say. The score could be 10 points for a correct 1st, 9 points for a correct 2nd, and so on......

Winner gets to bang on Stinger's drum, to stand in front of the cannon when the Jackets take the ice and a cookie from Viqsi.
For the record, we've got our normal prospect ranking polls in the summer and there've been no plans to change that. Don't let that stop y'all if you want to do something informal in this thread, tho. ;)

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I think a PTO (professional try out) contract does not burn a year of NHL activity. Zach Werenski left Michigan and signed a PTO to play with the Monstrrs. Then he signed his 3 year entry level contract. That did not burn his first year. I think a PTO would be okay. Signing an ELC and you would be correct.

I think.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Bemström assisted Jason Garrison on his first SHL goal in his SHL debut

Davidsson also scored Djurgåren's first goal but can't find a gif of it

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Offensively, Bemstrom looks good.

Looks better than Davidsson.