Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Say what you will about +/- as a stat, but Gavrikov is the leader in the KHL by far with a +36

It tells you a lot in context.

If I know a guy is out there in the key defensive situations, and is still massively outperforming all of his teammates in +/-, then I already know that's one hell of a player.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
It tells you a lot in context.

If I know a guy is out there in the key defensive situations, and is still massively outperforming all of his teammates in +/-, then I already know that's one hell of a player.
For real. After today's game, he's at a +38 on the season.

The three closest teammates are Barabanov (+25), Gusev (+20), and Kuzmenko/Datsyuk/Zub (+17). He's +21 better than Zub, the 2nd best defenseman in that regard. Insane!

Reactions: major major

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm not convinced he would immediately be better than Murray or Nutivaara.

Murray, no. Nutivaara, yes.

Different player than Nutivaara.

I'd say Gavrikov looks like a mixture of Murray and Savard, but bigger/stronger. Also, this idea that he is some Jan Hejda/Ian Cole type 'stay at home' defenseman, is not really true. Maybe he will be more so on "NHL ice", however I'll add that the SIZE of the NHL ice actually may be a benefit to Gavrikov. While guys in the NHL play a MUCH SMARTER game than in the KHL, I'd say the speed difference probably isn't much.

What I saw from Gavrikov in the Olympics (3-4 games/really only watched him/Russia) REALLY sold me on him.

He's 100% the real deal.

Reactions: mikeyp24

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Important to note that in the interview Elvis notes he isnt willing to play in the AHL for more than a season and stresses he feels he has proven already that hes ready for NHL

That seem like an "ok" mindset.

Confidence in himself, but NOT "against" seeing some time in the AHL if the team feels he needs it. If he woulda said he wouldn't spend anytime in the AHL, then that would be a "problem" to me.

Go 1A-1B with him and Korpisalo and let the guy who's playing good and winning games to simply do that, without all the "politics" behind everything.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I like Merzlikins's confidence. He is confident, but not arrogant. I agree that him being ok with 1 year in the AHL is reasonable. I also agree with him that he should not have to spend more time than that in the AHL...and definitely not have to see the ECHL. At that point, he would be better off back in Switzerland.

Bob has been average this season (.908 SV%, 2.81 GAA). He will also turn 31 in September. I think that he hit his prime during the 2016-2017 season and has been trending down since then. He will also want a very large amount of money I'm sure.

With all that in mind, I would let Bob go and focus on re-signing Panarin, who is only 27.

I would then let Merzlikins, Veini V., Korpisalo, Tarasov and Kivlenieks battle it out for the #1 and #2 job in Columbus. Other three get to play in AHL/ECHL.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I would then let Merzlikins, Veini V., Korpisalo, Tarasov and Kivlenieks battle it out for the #1 and #2 job in Columbus. Other three get to play in AHL/ECHL.

I don't think we can do that. It's the kind of gambit a rebuilding team would go for.

Kivlenieks is an AHL backup, Korpi maybe an NHL backup, Veini and Tarasov are not under contract and are not coming over that soon, and Merzlikins is still iffy in my view. Merzlikins is the one guy who can maybe be an NHL starter, and I don't think we know until we try him in the NHL. His technique isn't consistent (not a goalie expert), and I don't put a lot of stock in the goalie numbers from Euro leagues. A .950 sv% in any Euro league doesn't reliably translate into a starter in the NHL, and Merzlikins is more like a .920.

So I think we would just not have a starting quality goalie, certainly no one who could hold a candle to Bob. And for the record, we aren't going to be choosing between Bob and Panarin, there's about $20m to spare between the two of them. If they both go we'll have gobs of extra cap.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't think we can do that. It's the kind of gambit a rebuilding team would go for.

Kivlenieks is an AHL backup, Korpi maybe an NHL backup, Veini and Tarasov are not under contract and are not coming over that soon, and Merzlikins is still iffy in my view. Merzlikins is the one guy who can maybe be an NHL starter, and I don't think we know until we try him in the NHL. His technique isn't consistent (not a goalie expert), and I don't put a lot of stock in the goalie numbers from Euro leagues. A .950 sv% in any Euro league doesn't reliably translate into a starter in the NHL, and Merzlikins is more like a .920.

So I think we would just not have a starting quality goalie, certainly no one who could hold a candle to Bob. And for the record, we aren't going to be choosing between Bob and Panarin, there's about $20m to spare between the two of them. If they both go we'll have gobs of extra cap.

How can you say this?? Mainly the bold.

Its almost as if EVERY one of those guys hasn't proven exactly what Bob had at the same age.

Korpisalo was "ready" in 2015/16, he's "ready" now. Just needs the chance. Quite possibly so will 1-2-3 of those guys in 1-2-3 years. Trade 1 or 2, keep 2.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Elvis was back from illnes tonight (missed 2 games), lost 4:7. Lugano is now 5 points out of PO.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

Its almost as if EVERY one of those guys hasn't proven exactly what Bob had at the same age.

Korpisalo was "ready" in 2015/16, he's "ready" now. Just needs the chance. Quite possibly so will 1-2-3 of those guys in 1-2-3 years. Trade 1 or 2, keep 2.

I agree. I mean, yes, Bob is a proven NHL commodity and the others are not. But at the same time this is a cap league and you have to take that into consideration. So is it worth spending $9 or $10 million on a 31 year old goalie?

Let's look at examples of that:
Price - making $10 in Montreal. Has he made a huge difference for that team? No. If the rest of your team is average then a top goalie won't save you.

Lundqvist - same situation as Price.

At the same time there are instances of great teams having average/good goalies who do very well:
Hellebuyck - He is not nearly as talented as guys like Price or Lundqvist, but he is getting plenty of wins and a decent SV % on a loaded Jets team.

Holtby - I still think he is just good, not great. But again, he is on a great team in front of him and that helps a lot.

Columbus has 5 excellent defensemen and plenty of two-way forwards. Therefore, I dont think you need an older goalie making $9 - $10 million to have success. I also dont think Columbus is ready to win the Cup today...maybe in the next few years. That will buy these young goalies time to gain experience in the NHL level and in the playoffs before making that push for the Cup.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree. I mean, yes, Bob is a proven NHL commodity and the others are not. But at the same time this is a cap league and you have to take that into consideration. So is it worth spending $9 or $10 million on a 31 year old goalie?

Yup.

While I'll admit I DONT think there is that much of a difference between the actual current skill or ability of Bob and Korpisalo, most of the people who are adamant that the CBJ "need" to sign Bob seem to completely ignore or downplay the contract/cap difference.

Not to mention, while they haven't gone out and used a very high draft pick (not many goalies are currently) the team has CLEARLY gone out of their way to draft a very healthy "stable" of capable and POTENTIAL filled goalies. Arguably/easily 1 of the strongest in the league.

There's a reason for that. I mean really, why would you do that if you had a "Vezina goalie" already, and had plans on keeping him??

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I meant that Merzlikins is the one possible starter next year.

Yeah the others might have what it takes in a few years. But that's the situation a lot of teams find themselves in, perpetually hoping on prospect goalies to save them. It sounds more fun now than it is. You can ask Flyers fans, Blues fans, Flames fans, etc... how they feel about it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Let's look at examples of that:
Price - making $10 in Montreal. Has he made a huge difference for that team? No. If the rest of your team is average then a top goalie won't save you.

Lundqvist - same situation as Price.

At the same time there are instances of great teams having average/good goalies who do very well:
Hellebuyck - He is not nearly as talented as guys like Price or Lundqvist, but he is getting plenty of wins and a decent SV % on a loaded Jets team.

Holtby - I still think he is just good, not great. But again, he is on a great team in front of him and that helps a lot.

Columbus has 5 excellent defensemen and plenty of two-way forwards. Therefore, I dont think you need an older goalie making $9 - $10 million to have success. I also dont think Columbus is ready to win the Cup today...maybe in the next few years. That will buy these young goalies time to gain experience in the NHL level and in the playoffs before making that push for the Cup.

Hellebuyck is very very talented. If he can find some consistency he'd make a fortune in UFA. Holtby has been great when it counts - he's another guy on a deal signed when he was an RFA. Both of those guys were drafted by their team. If your plan is to let Bob go and just draft a great goalie instead, well that might or might not work.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Hellebuyck is very very talented. If he can find some consistency he'd make a fortune in UFA. Holtby has been great when it counts - he's another guy on a deal signed when he was an RFA. Both of those guys were drafted by their team. If your plan is to let Bob go and just draft a great goalie instead, well that might or might not work.

That should be the plan. With the money Columbus saves on NOT re-signing Bob they can potentially get a very good free agent forward, which is a much bigger need for them.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Yeah the others might have what it takes in a few years. But that's the situation a lot of teams find themselves in, perpetually hoping on prospect goalies to save them. It sounds more fun now than it is. You can ask Flyers fans, Blues fans, Flames fans, etc... how they feel about it.

I am an ECHL season ticket holder and have been for many years. I have seen so many former first round NHL picks perform at substandard levels. Chet Pickard (#18 overall for Nashville 2008) wasn't even ECHL caliber. Nice kid. Terrible goalie. Mark Visenton (#27 overall for Phoenix 2010) almost as bad as Chet. Many second rounders have made their way to Cincinnati as well.

In goaltending, one in hand is probably worth 10 in the bush so far as "prospects" go.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That should be the plan. With the money Columbus saves on NOT re-signing Bob they can potentially get a very good free agent forward, which is a much bigger need for them.

With Panarin likely gone as well, that leaves about $20m spare. The next two free agents are Duchene and Stone, and though I'd love to get them both I wouldn't even put the chances of getting one of them at 50%.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
With Panarin likely gone as well, that leaves about $20m spare. The next two free agents are Duchene and Stone, and though I'd love to get them both I wouldn't even put the chances of getting one of them at 50%.

Bob leaving does not mean Panarin has to leave. Panarin has said that he likes the direction of the team and how they are doing this season. I think that given the right money and term, he would stay in Columbus.

Then you use your other $10+ million to bring in 1-2 good free agent forwards. You cant win a Cup with just Panarin. I know Columbus has some good young players but none of them are nearly as talented as Panarin. Whereas teams like Tampa , Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto and Washington have a whole bunch of forwards on Panarin's level.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

How do you explain Korpisalo's 2015/16 season?

With your numerous comments in regards to Bob or other goalies playing well or getting better into their 30's, could you explain why, after proving himself capable 3 years ago, that at age 25 Korpisalo is not a "possible starter"??

You guys are crazy if you think that 1st period in DET was an "acceptable" or will be his only shot at taking the starters role in the future, whether its in 8 months, 8 weeks, or 8 days, you better believe Korp will be given "another" shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad