Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJMiddleGround

Jan 8, 2019
Korpi, I don't think will be "given" another shot. I think that he will earn it. When he has came into the in relief of Bob(Which happened a lot) the team has looked better in front of him and there is more leadership from the players, as they don't just rely on a ONCE all-star goalie but who is not now.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob leaving does not mean Panarin has to leave. Panarin has said that he likes the direction of the team and how they are doing this season. I think that given the right money and term, he would stay in Columbus.

Then you use your other $10+ million to bring in 1-2 good free agent forwards. You cant win a Cup with just Panarin. I know Columbus has some good young players but none of them are nearly as talented as Panarin. Whereas teams like Tampa , Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto and Washington have a whole bunch of forwards on Panarin's level.

I really hope you are right. But when the agent comes out and says he has no doubt that Columbus would offer him the moon, and that it's not about the money, well it sure seems that it's not about the money. Panarin will most likely be signing with a team in the summer that is less promising and not as good as Columbus, because it's about where he and his partner want to live.

How do you explain Korpisalo's 2015/16 season?

With your numerous comments in regards to Bob or other goalies playing well or getting better into their 30's, could you explain why, after proving himself capable 3 years ago, that at age 25 Korpisalo is not a "possible starter"??

You guys are crazy if you think that 1st period in DET was an "acceptable" or will be his only shot at taking the starters role in the future, whether its in 8 months, 8 weeks, or 8 days, you better believe Korp will be given "another" shot.

Korpisalo only played 31 games in 2016, we've seen worse goalies have better stretches. Yeah he might be starting quality next year, I'm not that optimistic.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How do you explain Korpisalo's 2015/16 season?

With your numerous comments in regards to Bob or other goalies playing well or getting better into their 30's, could you explain why, after proving himself capable 3 years ago, that at age 25 Korpisalo is not a "possible starter"??

You guys are crazy if you think that 1st period in DET was an "acceptable" or will be his only shot at taking the starters role in the future, whether its in 8 months, 8 weeks, or 8 days, you better believe Korp will be given "another" shot.

Yes, he will. And good for that.

However, he had best play like an NHL goalie and not an AHLer.

Since he's been in the NHL, for all goalies who have played 78 or more games (same as Korpisalo) he is at the bottom of GAA and save %. He's 46/51 with a 2.93 GAA and 42/51 with a .907 save percentage.

Bob is 9th in GAA (2.43) and 5th in save percentage (.919).

NHL.com - Stats

Korpisalo's numbers for continued NHL employment are, as you might say, UNSUSTAINABLE:D

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Korpisalo only played 31 games in 2016, we've seen worse goalies have better stretches. Yeah he might be starting quality next year, I'm not that optimistic.

Ok, lets look at Bobrovsky 1st Vezina Trophy.

38 games. 7 more games. But that means everything to you.

His 2nd Vezina was behind a team that played better than practically 1 or 2 teams all year. LOOK AT THE DEFENSE HE HAD AND HAS.

Maybe "playoff Bob" is REAL BOB.

"Vezina Bob" is the one that rarely shows up.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
This happens all the time. I watch these clips of CBJ prospects and get so excited for the future. I watched the fancy stick work clips of Milano and got excited. I watched Abramov light up the Q and got excited. I watched the World Junior and heard all the talk about Bemstrom and got excited. I watch Foudy turn on the jets down the wing and get excited, or show some touch and get excited.

Other than Keegan Kolesar and Dillon Heatherington, Jarmo is not trading these guys away. Sooner or later this has to translate to the NHL doesn't it?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
This happens all the time. I watch these clips of CBJ prospects and get so excited for the future. I watched the fancy stick work clips of Milano and got excited. I watched Abramov light up the Q and got excited. I watched the World Junior and heard all the talk about Bemstrom and got excited. I watch Foudy turn on the jets down the wing and get excited, or show some touch and get excited.

Other than Keegan Kolesar and Dillon Heatherington, Jarmo is not trading these guys away. Sooner or later this has to translate to the NHL doesn't it?

It has already translated to the NHL multiple times.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Emil scored his 14th goal today and took leading postion in goals in SHL back.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Vehvilainen with a 23 save shutout today. Should push him to around .940 sv%. He’s continuing to impress me big time. Unpopular opinion but I think he’s our best goalie prospect right now. And yes, that includes Merzlikins.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Maybe not? Mid-late first round picks and high risk/high reward late round picks have been fleeting from the dawn of time. PLD and Werenski were our only high picks in recent years and they've already delivered. I remember the days of Filatov and Brassard and Voracek and how they were supposed to just somehow save this franchise.

The difference now is that we have built a good environment for kids to develop in so they don't need to put the team on their shoulders. I'd bet that if you put PLD and Werenski on a CBJ team from the Doug MacLean or early Scott Howson era, they wouldn't be the same players because they would have been anointed as saviors from Day 1. Of course no one around here was sold on Dubois until the end of last year, and Werenski was penciled in on the 3rd pairing before training camp his rookie year. Our expectations have changed. We don't need these guys to come in and carry the team.

Abramov would have made the team out of camp back in those days. Same for maybe Foudy, Stenlund, Carlsson, and Davidsson. I'll take developing these guys Detroit style over thrusting them into the NHL.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Vehvilainen with a 23 save shutout today. Should push him to around .940 sv%. He’s continuing to impress me big time. Unpopular opinion but I think he’s our best goalie prospect right now. And yes, that includes Merzlikins.

I said that earlier this year. I think you're popular.

Reactions: mikeyp24

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
what would your top 10 list look like at midseason? who's the biggest surprise/riser? biggest disappointment?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
what would your top 10 list look like at midseason? who's the biggest surprise/riser? biggest disappointment?

Biggest Surprise: Trey Fix-Wolansky
Biggest riser: Emil Bemstrom
Biggest Disappointment: Liam Foudy/Vitaly Abramov

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Here's how I had them rated before the season:

B+ -- Foudy
B -- Abramov, Davidsson, Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Peeke, Texier
B- -- Carlsson, Marchenko, Stenlund
C+ -- Bemstrom, Tarasov, Thurkauf, Vehvilainen
C -- Fortier, Karlberg, Robinson
C- -- Berni, Fix-Wolansky, Howarth, MacInnis, Sherwood, Stucker, Vigneault
D -- Bittner, Collins, Kivlenieks, Meyer, Thome, Vainio
NP -- Siebenaler, Somerby, Zaar

Here's what I'd do now:

B+ -- Foudy
B -- Bemstrom, Davidsson, Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Peeke, Tarasov, Texier, Vehvilainen
B- -- Abramov, Carlsson, Marchenko, Stenlund
C+ -- Fix-Wolansky, Robinson
C -- Karlberg
C- -- Berni, Bittner, Fortier, Howarth, MacInnis, Meyer, Sherwood, Stucker, Vigneault
D -- Collins, Kivlenieks, Thome, Vainio

I have most guys about the same as preseason. Bemstrom and TFW are the biggest risers; Abramov the biggest disappointment. I almost bumped him down to the C+ level but decided that was too harsh. Still, I don't think I'd have him in my top ten right now and he was somewhere around 4 or 5 for me preseason. Also, while I had hoped he'd prove himself way too good for juniors and move himself up to the A level, I don't think you can call Foudy a disappointment at over a point per game, and he looked better in preseason than any prospect bar Stenlund. I also think I was too low on Tarasov and Vehvilainen (and I wasn't the only one).

If you asked me to do a numbered list, after putting about ten seconds of thought into it I'd go something like:

1. Foudy
2. Gavrikov
3. Peeke
4. Texier
5. Davidsson
6. Vehvilainen
7. Tarasov
8. Bemstrom
9. Merzlikins
10. Stenlund
11. Marchenko
12. Abramov
13. Carlsson
14. Fix-Wolansky
15. Robinson
16. Karlberg
17. Sherwood
18. Berni
19. Meyer
20. Bittner

Reactions: Monk

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Here's what I'd do now:

B+ -- Foudy
B -- Bemstrom, Davidsson, Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Peeke, Tarasov, Texier, Vehvilainen
C -- Karlberg
C- -- Berni, Bittner, Fortier, Howarth, MacInnis, Meyer, Sherwood, Stucker, Vigneault

I have most guys about the same as preseason. Bemstrom and TFW are the biggest risers; Abramov the biggest disappointment. I almost bumped him down to the C+ level but decided that was too harsh. Still, I don't think I'd have him in my top ten right now and he was somewhere around 4 or 5 for me preseason. Also, while I had hoped he'd prove himself way too good for juniors and move himself up to the A level, I don't think you can call Foudy a disappointment at over a point per game, and he looked better in preseason than any prospect bar Stenlund. I also think I was too low on Tarasov and Vehvilainen (and I wasn't the only one).

If you asked me to do a numbered list, after putting about ten seconds of thought into it I'd go something like:

1. Foudy
2. Gavrikov
3. Peeke
4. Texier
5. Davidsson
6. Vehvilainen
7. Tarasov
8. Bemstrom
9. Merzlikins
10. Stenlund
11. Marchenko
12. Abramov
13. Carlsson
14. Fix-Wolansky
15. Robinson
16. Karlberg
17. Sherwood
18. Berni
19. Meyer
20. Bittner

I'm curious what keeps Foudy high on your list (and thanks for posting it). I haven't watched him for a second this year, so I have zero opinion - I've just seen some other posts on the prospect board indicating he's been pretty disappointing this season. Maybe they're just stat-watchers?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

Here's what I'd do now:

B+ -- Foudy
C -- Karlberg

1. Foudy
2. Gavrikov
3. Peeke
4. Texier
5. Davidsson
6. Vehvilainen
7. Tarasov
8. Bemstrom
9. Merzlikins
10. Stenlund
11. Marchenko
12. Abramov
13. Carlsson
14. Fix-Wolansky
15. Robinson
16. Karlberg
17. Sherwood
18. Berni
19. Meyer
20. Bittner
The only takeaway I have from this is... you crazy haha. Gavrikov should be an A and #1 on that list!!! The guy has been playing top pairing for russian national team games for years now and he cant beat out a 19yo boom or bust guy?!?!?! I mean Im the opposite and penned him in the lineup the year after he was drafted but still!! Haha.

Anyways Ill give my own quick top 10. Ill do top 10 skaters though then do a separate goalie list because I cant rank where elvis should be between Gavrikov and say Abramov.

Skaters
1. Gavrikov
2. Peeke
3. Tex
4. Foudy
5. Bemstrom
6. Davidsson
7. Marchenko
8. Stenlund
9. Abramov
10. Carlson

Goalies